Author Topic: New Battery Tec  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +38/-239
    • View Profile
New Battery Tec
« on: August 16, 2016, 11:10:48 am »
Is the lithium-ion battery going the way of the Dodo?

http://electronics360.globalspec.com/article/5748/rugged-ceramic-batteries-deliver-3x-leap-in-capacity-operate-at-120-c-and-beyond

A recently-announced solid-state battery technology may enable manufacturers to deliver up to three times more energy than equivalent-sized lithium-ion (Li-ion) cell, while eliminating many of the durability and safety issues associated with conventional lithium-based energy sources. The technology, developed by Johnson Battery Technologies (JBT), Atlanta, GA, employs ceramic electrolytes instead of volatile liquid or gel electrolytes. “Our team has spent countless hours in the lab perfecting a battery technology that will truly change the game for safe energy storage across a variety of applications,” states Dr. Lonnie Johnson, a former NASA scientist and JBT’s CEO and Founder.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
Re: New Battery Tec
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 11:03:53 pm »
Well, the Lithium-Ion "dodo" in my car just powered us on a 1200 km round trip around Ontario for $10 in fuel cost.
The current LI battery technology is plenty good enough to replace gas powered cars. 
It's a proven technology and the price trajectory is down down down.

Next generation cells will come, but perfect need not be the enemy of good.

I am hopeful for any breakthrough that lowers price/kWh, I could care less how it happens and what technology wins, but for sure, I'd like it sooner than later.

Interesting article, thx for the post.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +38/-239
    • View Profile
Re: New Battery Tec
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 11:10:40 am »
Well, the Lithium-Ion "dodo" in my car just powered us on a 1200 km round trip around Ontario for $10 in fuel cost.
The current LI battery technology is plenty good enough to replace gas powered cars. 
It's a proven technology and the price trajectory is down down down.

Next generation cells will come, but perfect need not be the enemy of good.

I am hopeful for any breakthrough that lowers price/kWh, I could care less how it happens and what technology wins, but for sure, I'd like it sooner than later.

Interesting article, thx for the post.

This a pretty major jump if that battery comes to fruition. 3X the power and able to operate at colder temperatures more efficiently. That could be a game changer for electric cars.