Author Topic: Test Drive: 2016 BMW X5 xDrive40e  (Read 21973 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: Test Drive: 2016 BMW X5 xDrive40e
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2016, 10:10:26 am »
Now, if we're talking somebody shopping for their 5th exotic car to complete their uber garage, then sure the likelihood of their Lambo failing is probably pushed further down the list.   But this is a bloody X5!   99% of buyers will be using this as their daily transport to shuttle the kids to school and get to work.   Having it break down is every bit the pain in the a$$ that having a Corolla breakdown would be.   And the X5 will be proportionately more expensive to fix than the Corolla (again normalizing the wealth argument).
Two phrases: Warranty/loaner; lease.

If I'm leaving the house to drop the kids off at school and the bloody car pops a CEL or goes into limp mode, no amount of warranty is going to calm me down.

I've had two unscheduled dealer trips with the Passat, one for a fuel leak and one for the washer fluid container leaking. I had none with the three Subarus or Vibe that preceded it.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2016, 10:23:54 am »
But a 1960s, 1970s or 1980s Mercedes would very likely be a very reliable car compared to any of it's contemporaries. People would save up for a long time to get one, with the expectation of it lasting. And they typically were behind on features compared to other brands. AC was optional, and typically ineffective, seats and windows were manually operated except for the flagship sedans and so on.

That went out the window with increased competition in the 1990s. They added a lot of features that had become the norm in cheaper cars, and a lot of those features were poorly implemented and unreliable.

I think that the increase in popularity in leasing, shorter development cycles, and an increased rate of innovation have contributed to people not keeping cars as long, which means that longevity is not as important as it used to be.

Right now, there is essentially an inverse relationship between price and reliability. Some of the least reliable cars have been the flagship sedans from the Europeans. And they really don't have many features that haven't also been implemented by much more pedestrian brands first.

Disagree strongly here. There are dozens of features that debuted in the 7-series and S-class that have trickled down (or will trickle down) to less expensive cars.

For example, this article outlines a few firsts in the current S-class: http://wardsauto.com/technology/new-mercedes-s-class-claims-many-world-firsts

The W126 was the first car with airbags and seatbelt pretensioners. ESP debuted on the W140.

The new 7-series has a key with a display on it.

Some of these features may be of dubious value but that doesn't preclude them from being world firsts.

Wards shouldn't issue Mercedes marketing pap. Airbags debuted on Fords as an experiment in the early 1970s and in both Fords and GMs as an option not long after. They had a very low take rate, and were discontinued not long after, only to return again once the NHTSA made them a requirement in the early 1990s.

The Japanese, and depending on era, the American brands were quite often the first to introduce really novel products. Turbo Chevrolet Corvairs and Olds Jetfires, ABS equipped Chrysler products and so on were on the market when Mercedes mostly produced normally aspirated 6 cylinder gas and diesel cars.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2016, 11:06:59 am »
^ The 1987 Porsche 944 Turbo was the first car to have driver and passenger airbags standard, not optional.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2016, 12:13:05 pm »
Now, if we're talking somebody shopping for their 5th exotic car to complete their uber garage, then sure the likelihood of their Lambo failing is probably pushed further down the list.   But this is a bloody X5!   99% of buyers will be using this as their daily transport to shuttle the kids to school and get to work.   Having it break down is every bit the pain in the a$$ that having a Corolla breakdown would be.   And the X5 will be proportionately more expensive to fix than the Corolla (again normalizing the wealth argument).

If I'm leaving the house to drop the kids off at school and the bloody car pops a CEL or goes into limp mode, no amount of warranty is going to calm me down.

Thank you.  It has little to do with the cost of the repair or the ability to get another vehicle.   It's your TIME.   Of course BMW will get someone a loaner and cover issues under warranty.   It's still a huge PITA.

And for the record:  I do think the "FGCs offer zero reliability" stance is a overblown on this forum.  But there is overwhelming empirical evidence that they definitely have more issues than your average car.   Is it it worth it?  Sure, depends on the buyer.   I'm driving a used, 9-yr old turbo BMW after all...   But it's definitely a negative against these cars and especially concerning when you're getting into piles and piles of electronic systems.   German engineers never met an electronic problem they couldn't "over solve" to the point of guaranteed failure at some point in the future.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2016, 12:46:52 pm »

I've had two unscheduled dealer trips with the Passat, one for a fuel leak and one for the washer fluid container leaking. I had none with the three Subarus or Vibe that preceded it.

Is there a new woman with kids in your life that you forgot to tells  :o

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2016, 12:58:40 pm »
^I only date hypotheticals.  ;D

Offline vert

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: BMW 330CiC
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2016, 01:40:32 pm »
Volvo XC-90 T8 not listed as a competitor?