Author Topic: First Person Driver: Total Gridlock of the Heart  (Read 4019 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Person Driver: Total Gridlock of the Heart
« on: May 06, 2015, 10:01:05 am »

Once upon a time I was driving along, but now I'm merely stuck in a car...
Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Re: First Person Driver: Total Gridlock of the Heart
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 02:37:58 pm »
Goddamn it I love your articles, Andy!!!

Or you’re wondering if you left the oven on when you left for work this morning and if your homeowners insurance covers banana bread fires.
Fortunately, it does.  It does not cover leaks from your dishwasher if you're not home when it happens, however.

Still funny that you posted that.

I agree wholeheartedly with your rant here and hope that all drivers read it and calm the :censor: down while driving.  A C300 was weaving in/out of traffic from Yonge/Sheppard (ahem, your pic), onto the 401, and on to the Allen this morning.  I drove casually in one lane and arrived at the same office parking lot as he 4 cars earlier.  I confronted him in the elevator (since we're not allowed to take the stairs up  >:() and he said "traffic is just so damn full of idiots I have to get around."  ...to which I replied that, to me, he is "one of those idiots," but "more likely to cause an accident than the other ones.  I requested that he at least signal before violently changing lanes, to which he told me to ":censor: off".  Surprised? nah.  I'm sure I ruined his morning, though :)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 03:06:35 pm »
great article Andy!

i sometime(very rarely) AM that guy, darting back and forth, but still usually signal. 

but now, i believe, if i don't look far ahead, not think about the people driving like idiots, and not look at the speedo, i feel a lot more at ease being stuck in traffic...

I tried driving like a loony, and only gained 5 minutes by the time i get home, in 45 minutes commute.
it's not worth that much.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 03:43:38 pm »
Goddamn it I love your articles, Andy!!!

Or you’re wondering if you left the oven on when you left for work this morning and if your homeowners insurance covers banana bread fires.
Fortunately, it does.  It does not cover leaks from your dishwasher if you're not home when it happens, however.

Still funny that you posted that.

I agree wholeheartedly with your rant here and hope that all drivers read it and calm the :censor: down while driving.  A C300 was weaving in/out of traffic from Yonge/Sheppard (ahem, your pic), onto the 401, and on to the Allen this morning.  I drove casually in one lane and arrived at the same office parking lot as he 4 cars earlier.  I confronted him in the elevator (since we're not allowed to take the stairs up  >:() and he said "traffic is just so damn full of idiots I have to get around."  ...to which I replied that, to me, he is "one of those idiots," but "more likely to cause an accident than the other ones.  I requested that he at least signal before violently changing lanes, to which he told me to ":censor: off".  Surprised? nah.  I'm sure I ruined his morning, though :)

Good for you for getting in this jackass's face.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 05:11:38 pm »
I can't seem to find the article - :-O....there's a picture in the page, but that's all.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 05:55:15 pm »
I can't seem to find the article - :-O....there's a picture in the page, but that's all.

Same here  ???

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 03:56:34 pm »

Same here  ???
weird...I read it and it's still open for me:
http://www.autos.ca/opinion/first-person-driver-driving-vs-travelling/

Offline ALin

• Administrator
  • Carma: +16/-24
  • WordPress Goon
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1996 Toyota RAV4
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 02:27:01 am »

Same here  ???

Hey, are you guys still having this problem? I've checked the post and it might have been a temporary blip on the servers.

Offline ALin

• Administrator
  • Carma: +16/-24
  • WordPress Goon
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1996 Toyota RAV4
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 02:43:25 am »
Thank you guys for the kind feedback! This was a bit shorter than my other pieces because I ended up diving into a discussion about why I didn't start learning to drive when I first got a G1 at 16 (I was going to school downtown and we have pretty good public transit in Toronto being the main reason), but that is a completely separate topic, so I cut it.

Sorry I didn't check in on the thread earlier; I've been completely out with a nasty cold for the past couple of days.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 12:36:07 pm »
Thank you guys for the kind feedback! This was a bit shorter than my other pieces because I ended up diving into a discussion about why I didn't start learning to drive when I first got a G1 at 16 (I was going to school downtown and we have pretty good public transit in Toronto being the main reason), but that is a completely separate topic, so I cut it.

Sorry I didn't check in on the thread earlier; I've been completely out with a nasty cold for the past couple of days.
I hope you're feeling better!

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 09:55:35 pm »

Same here  ???

interesting - i was having this issue in another article the other day, but only in 'all pages' view and only in Firefox. Chrome was fine, but I now suspect there is something going on.

WING?!?!?
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman