Author Topic: Preview: 2016 Ford Explorer  (Read 5828 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Preview: 2016 Ford Explorer
« on: November 20, 2014, 10:07:46 am »

Upgrading an icon is a daunting task.
Read More...

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
Re: Preview: 2016 Ford Explorer
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 10:13:51 am »
" Ford Explorer has been a mainstay of American (and Canadian) motoring. It was one of the first vehicles to spark the SUV craze in the ‘90s and still does Ford quite proud today."

I lost respect for the Explorer and Ford after this fiasco.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestone_and_Ford_tire_controversy

Ford internal documents show the company engineers recommended changes to the vehicle design after it rolled over in company tests prior to introduction, but other than a few minor changes, the suspension and track width were not changed. Instead, Ford, which sets the specifications for the manufacture of its tires, decided to remove air from the tires, lowering the recommended pressure to 26 psi.

The blame did lie with both parties but nonetheless preventative measures were bypassed by Ford that could have prevented injury and death.

Not isolated to Ford. Recently similar defect recalls were overlooked by General Motors in regards to their faulty ignition switches. Repairs did not meet a business case according to internal emails.

I do applaud the safety changes Ford has enacted lately but  the name explorer just leaves a bad taste for me.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 11:17:32 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 11:07:25 am »
Not that I necessarily 'dig' the new styling (some parts are MUCH improved, however), but I think the interior is now befitting its cause.  A very nice upgrade.  Loaded out at $58k is a bit steep, but I think fair given the expected discounts and relative size of the behemoth.

Nicely done, Ford.

Offline Danno001

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-45
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 11:29:17 am »

The blame did lie with both parties but nonetheless preventative measures were bypassed by Ford that could have prevented injury and death.

Seems like you ignored this key fact from the wiki link.

"A subsequent NHTSA investigation of real world accident data showed that the SUVs in question were no more likely to roll over than any other SUV, after a tread separation"

Hint - Most of the other statements on the link ("citation needed") need verification so take wiki with a big grain of salt.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2114
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 11:33:51 am »

"A subsequent NHTSA investigation of real world accident data showed that the SUVs in question were no more likely to roll over than any other SUV, after a tread separation"

Hint - Most of the other statements on the link ("citation needed") need verification so take wiki with a big grain of salt.

The biggest part of the problem was people were running under inflated tires in the Florida heat with an overloaded vehicle and then did just purely idiotic things when they got a flat.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 11:55:44 am »

The biggest part of the problem was people were running under inflated tires in the Florida heat with an overloaded vehicle and then did just purely idiotic things when they got a flat.
[/b]

Ford did recommend lower than average tire psi ratings for Explorers at the time.

Ford insists that Explorers fitted with Goodyear tires have experienced far fewer tread problems than those equipped with Firestones. Firestone retorts that the same tire that shreds on an Explorer holds up just fine on a Ford Ranger.

http://content.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,128198,00.html

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 11:59:41 am »

A subsequent government investigation found that both Ford and Firestone had prior knowledge of Firestone tire failures on Ford Explorer models sold in Venezuela, dating back to 1998.

Both parties were to blame.

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 01:24:09 pm »

Upgrading an icon is a daunting task.
Read More...

I actually like the look of the current Explorer - at least the Sport. The new grill looks wrong somehow. That said, I hope that Ford has finally gotten around to raising their standards for headlights - not just doing the cosmetic LED accents. Currently, only the Limited trim level gets HIDs, the rest have abysmal headlights - on mine, I can barely see anything once it's raining outside. Continuing, Ford needs to do more overall - this is simply a refresh of Volvo's 14+ year old frame. They need to either drop some tonnage as a crossover or re-invest it back into being a true frame SUV. 

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 01:27:09 pm »
The pre-upgrade current Explorer is very elegant, Range-Roverish in many ways. Not sure about the bling "upgrade" to the front end...
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 07:02:10 pm »
It is indeed a refresh and not  redesign so I do not understand the statement "The formula has been rectified". Also the Explorer is still the sales leader in its category so one could argue it did not lose its mojo as much as it is implied. The new reality (# of SUVs now available & consumers buying smaller) has more to do with the challenge of selling +400,000 vehicles/year than the quality of the design.

Based on the Sales figures, Ford succeeded to reverse the sales trend in 2011 and sales have continuously increased in the US and hit Canadian record levels since 2005...

Year     Ford Explorer      Ford Explorer
           U.S. Sales        Canadian Sales
2009       52,190        4121
2010       60,687        4292
2011     135,704        9406
2012     164,207     10,427
2013     192,397     10,772
2014 YTD *175,148     10,919

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 07:05:05 pm by Benhaze »

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 08:19:51 pm »
The pre-upgrade current Explorer is very elegant, Range-Roverish in many ways. Not sure about the bling "upgrade" to the front end...
I agree, becoming a little too fancy for my taste. I prefer the cool look of  cousin Flex.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 01:40:02 am »

Didn't they also have a suspension design problem that resulted in a very sudden transition from understeer to oversteer during hard cornering?
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 12:27:17 pm »
It is indeed a refresh and not  redesign so I do not understand the statement "The formula has been rectified". 

I was thinking the same thing.

Offline Calbrez

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +2/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 08:17:02 am »
I think the  redesign looks great... I'd consider this as a used car as could't afford it new... I've added it to my list (along with Durango, Cherokee)

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 11:07:23 am »
good looking :thumbup: .. but more 4cyl BS in such a big truck  :shake: