Author Topic: Monday Rant: 'I Wonder If Anyone's Dead' (And Other Rubbernecker Musings)  (Read 2530 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

YOU! Yes, you with the wandering eyes, I'm going to honk at you!
Read More...

Offline jjc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
I agree but I think you missed an important point. It's not about what it does to traffic at all, not one little bit.

Dear Rubberneckers:

You are voyeurs. While this scene you come across is certainly happening in an all too public place it's someone's private tragedy.  How much more horrible would it be for you to have people staring at you at such a time. Put yourself in their place and then maybe you can see why what you're doing is wrong, immoral, cruel. Perhaps when it starts being discussed that way more laws will be passed to stop it.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
i've driven with rubberneckers.. and they don't know that they are doing anything... they think they are going with traffic... they don't realize that the delay of 4 seconds to get on the gas because they were distracted is exactly what caused the slow down/stoppage on the other side of the road (x300 drivers).

while i hear what you are saying jjc, people are wrong, immoral and cruel. don't think talking about it will change a whole lot. i'd prefer to get to the heart of this by getting the bad drivers where it hurts them.. in their commute. that's all they think of. everyone is selfish these days, so you might get a solution to rubberneckers by ticketing, convincing them how much faster it would be or something like that... calling them names will just make them think, "they must be talking about all those other people... yeah, they ARE horrible".
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Quite the rant...

...but I disagree with you, here:
When the first responders come, move on, unless you think you’re the only witness in what’s probably going to become a court case.
All too often, people who ARE witnesses leave because they think "meh, I don't need to be here."

I've had some clients who lose limbs in accidents on the 401 during rush hour, and yet not a single person stops to say "I saw what happened."  It's not about money, but it's about properly laying charges for drivers that need to have their right to drive revoked.  With more eyewitnesses sticking around to say "hey, I saw the driver," hit and runs would be less of a problem, insurance money wouldn't be spent on lawyers arguing over liability, and police would be far better able to do their jobs.  You're correct that witnesses should pull over IN FRONT of the accident (i.e. beyond it), but they shouldn't leave until instructed to by police.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
Gotta say it: terrible article.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Gotta say it: terrible article.

Why?

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
Quite the rant...

...but I disagree with you, here:
When the first responders come, move on, unless you think you’re the only witness in what’s probably going to become a court case.
All too often, people who ARE witnesses leave because they think "meh, I don't need to be here."

I've had some clients who lose limbs in accidents on the 401 during rush hour, and yet not a single person stops to say "I saw what happened."  It's not about money, but it's about properly laying charges for drivers that need to have their right to drive revoked.  With more eyewitnesses sticking around to say "hey, I saw the driver," hit and runs would be less of a problem, insurance money wouldn't be spent on lawyers arguing over liability, and police would be far better able to do their jobs.  You're correct that witnesses should pull over IN FRONT of the accident (i.e. beyond it), but they shouldn't leave until instructed to by police.

also, on a busier road, people are more likely to think, "someone else will stop"... then no one does! they say you are more likely to get help on the side of a country road with one car passing than on the side of the highway in rushhour.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
They say "Nota bene" in Italy.  They say other things in Portugal, Spain, Andorra, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro, Macedonia, Kosovo, Albania, Greece, Bulgaria, Turkey, Romania, Malta, Cyprus, San Marino, and the Vatican, which, if I recall correctly, are also in southern Europe.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
With more eyewitnesses sticking around to say "hey, I saw the driver," hit and runs would be less of a problem

so true.