Author Topic: Quick Spin: 2015 Jeep Compass  (Read 5077 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Quick Spin: 2015 Jeep Compass
« on: September 25, 2014, 06:28:16 am »

This Jeep isn't the one you want, but it's the one you can afford. Surprisingly, it isn't all that bad.
Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Re: Quick Spin: 2015 Jeep Compass
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 08:36:21 am »
Mark, I'm here to provide my usual :love:: you are also a true gem for autos.ca!

I really enjoyed that read for its brutal honesty (and it does come off a little brutal), but your conclusion doesn't really follow:

Yet, no matter how many slots are flaunted on the Compass’ grille, it will never really be a Jeep. Which is truly unfortunate, because it would be a decent car – and a great bargain – if it went by any other name.
If it were a Hyundai, Toyota, etc. - what would make it a great bargain or even a decent car?

Unless it's been wholly updated since the last one I drove as a rental a year ago or so (and loathed), it wasn't the Jeep nameplate that disappointed - it was the hard plastic everywhere, the awful transmission, the steering column that bit into driver legroom (it's not just 'a bit', either), and the fact that it's just stupid-looking from the side and rear (front's typical Jeep).

...but you hit the nail on the head:
16-inch alloy wheels? Yup.

Fog lights? Uh huh, it’s got two of those.

Tire pressure warning? Holy, it’s got a sensor for each wheel!
When those are the highlights of a model, there's just nothing there.  Anyone can blast the old Corolla for being "beige", but at least you were buying an economical car with cruise control, a/c, power windows/locks/mirrors, and great fuel economy.  Its drive was not unnerving.  It isn't blown around in windy conditions.  etc.

...the Compass should be retired.  I'm not sure the Renegade will be a great successor to it, but will at least be more 'relevant'.  I'd like to see a jacked up Dart (a la Crosstrek/Juke/500X)...wait, 500X...just rebadge it and call it a day.  Kill the Compass already.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 08:58:02 am »
The Compass isn't a Jeep and I think everyone can agree to that.

The value equation is a good one if someone doesn't necessarily want AC and power windows. When you get into those particular options, the Compass becomes less palatable.

But, for someone like my father, who literally wants a tall wagon with basic features to bash up and down on logging roads, it's a great option. And totally disposable when you're done with it.

Drive it hard. Put it away wet. And treat it like you're looking to get every dollar of that $18,995 out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 09:03:24 am »
But, for someone like my father, who literally wants a tall wagon with basic features to bash up and down on logging roads, it's a great option. And totally disposable when you're done with it.
$19,995 Dodge Grand Caravan?  Even that has a/c...and a V6!

Mitsu RVR starts at $19,998.

While I am a proponent of $1k being a big deal in this class, the Compass cannot claim that as its benefit when all competitors for $1k more offer A/C as standard.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 09:06:38 am »
I don't think I'd ever suggest a DGC for anyone looking to prowl dirt roads. And there's a spread on fuel economy as well. Also, some people don't like minivans.

Buying the RVR for some people isn't an option. The dealer network in most parts of Canada is sparse. But, I get your point and it's a valid suggestion.

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 09:25:56 am »
I put over 60,000kms on a Caliber as my work vehicle a few years ago. The CVT was horrible, the gaps between body panels (both interior and exterior) were huge, and the interior materials were incredibly cheap feeling.

That said, the fuel mileage was fine, and the cargo room was great.

The  trouble is, I would never spend $18,995 on one. Even if the Compass is nicer than the Caliber that I had, there is just no way. I'm not even sure if the car's drivetrain, suspension, and overall refinement were class competitive when they launched the thing in 2007 (and the refresh didn't really fix that).

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 09:46:01 am »
I don't think I'd ever suggest a DGC for anyone looking to prowl dirt roads. And there's a spread on fuel economy as well. Also, some people don't like minivans.
My DGC point was apples to apples - the Compass at $19k is 4x2...so I doubt it could 'prowl dirt roads' any better than the DGC.

It was merely a contrary position on the value-equation of the Compass.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 09:49:18 am »

My DGC point was apples to apples - the Compass at $19k is 4x2...so I doubt it could 'prowl dirt roads' any better than the DGC.

It was merely a contrary position on the value-equation of the Compass.

It's only apples to apples from a driveline and price point of view. Everything else is different.

I'm not saying I don't get your point. It's valid...but only as valid as one would cross shop a stripper Compass with a manual to a GC with an automatic.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 09:53:14 am »
...the Compass should be retired.  I'm not sure the Renegade will be a great successor to it, but will at least be more 'relevant'.  I'd like to see a jacked up Dart (a la Crosstrek/Juke/500X)...wait, 500X...just rebadge it and call it a day.  Kill the Compass already.

The Renegade is not replacing the Compass. There's a new product coming that replaces both the Compass and Patriot that is slotted below the Cherokee.

Offline marineboy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 12:50:52 pm »
Wow the Compass you tested was over 31000 $ and it still got a scathing review.... :o

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 03:16:33 pm »
while i am no huge fan of this Jeep... there is a level of it that does provide good value for the space...

also, it's not a bad car on the used market... for around 20 you get a 4x4 2014 with quite a few options...(daily rental of course)...

the comments about the hard plastic... i think most of those your dates must be off... it hasn't been the brutal interior for like 5 years now. it's no beauty pageant winner, but it's not that bad either. the interior weak points are the feature content and aging platform (small touchscreen available, simple layout)

the cvt and drivetrain when compared to the caliber... most of these will have the 2.4 (not on all calibers) and the 6 speed transmission... so not the same. still no race winner, but a better drive.

agree with the basic idea of the article... it's a "never was" in a decent category full of has beens and nice choices... fleets get good deals usually... so if you own a company, then i can make it appealing!... maybe. but other than that, only the base model offers any value... and even then, it is for someone buying a cheap runabout.

and noto.. the 500x?... that is exactly what the renegade is... a jeep version of it. so there ya go!
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now