Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Nissan Juke NISMO RS  (Read 7966 times)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Nissan Juke NISMO RS
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2014, 03:31:52 pm »
I like the Juke - a lot - not nearly as much as I like Jacob's writing style, but a lot.

I'm sure there's a trim out there for me, but AWD, CVT, and turbo fun - I'm ok with it.

My only issue with it is compromised cargo space for my needs, but it's good for those who don't haul as much as I do on a regular basis.

Complaint?  This is like my gen of the Forester XT - it's just an engine tuning upgrade, but doesn't have the brakes/suspension changes to suggest higher performance (unless I'm mistaken).  Make it a proper 'nismo' vehicle, please.

Offline naydek

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Veloster Turbo, 2015 Santa Fe XL
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2014, 03:34:18 pm »
Last month we were choosing between Nirmo RS, Fiesta ST and Veloster Turbo.
We (me) wanted a fun-to-drive car (around 200hp, manual), not a killer on gas, still comfortable (nice seats, good sound, sunroof) and occasional seating for 4 (we have a 2 and a 5 yr old).
Overall, Nismo RS was the worst of the bunch... Those "amazing" seats didn't feel that great, especially getting in and out. You end up sitting relatively high and have to "climb" in or out over the bottom bolsters, which are quite hard. I will agree that if you are inside and somehow manage to drive with eyes closed (I should have tried that, Al Pacino style...), then it is great! Steering wheel does feel nice, shifts are precise and the engine does what's expected (well, what I was expecting; but so do the other two). But then you open your eyes (so much for Lieutenant Colonel Frank Slade) and you see how cheap interior is, how easily plastic surfaces get scratched up (my watch scratched the door panel trying to adjust the seat) and then how little room there is in the trunk (granted, more than Fiesta ST).
So that was a NO for us.
Fiesta ST was much nicer inside (and outside), but lack of room in the back seat (my 2 year old had to wrap her legs around the seat in front of her) and neither my wife nor I being able to find a comfortable seating position (she is 5'5 and 120lbs, I'm 6'2 and 180 lbs) gave Fiesta ST a boot as well.
And then came Hyundai Veloster Turbo... An underdog in our books initially (c'mon, 3 doors? is there a trunk? family sports(ish) car? can't be!) but after a 2 month wait to try (and buy the same day) a manual model - we fell in love! It did everything that we were looking for; most comfortable seats, most room in the back (or as much as NISMO RS), large enough trunk (actually did a Costco run to try it out), lots of cool tech stuff,  great daily fun driver with good fuel economy... let's just say it brings a smile to our faces every time you push the gas pedal.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2014, 04:36:36 pm »
if you want AWD...the WRX starts at 30k and thats real AWD rather than this FWD biased system

Jacob, if you just bought this NISMO RS and after just pulling into your driveway with a smile on your face, your neighbour pulls into his/her driveway with a new base WRX 6-spd....knowing you just spent the same money on the Juke, would you still have a smile on your face?

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2014, 04:38:49 pm »
Sorry, why exactly does my  neighbour's car matter?

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2014, 05:08:56 pm »
if you want AWD...the WRX starts at 30k and thats real AWD rather than this FWD biased system

Jacob, if you just bought this NISMO RS and after just pulling into your driveway with a smile on your face, your neighbour pulls into his/her driveway with a new base WRX 6-spd....knowing you just spent the same money on the Juke, would you still have a smile on your face?

I'd have a smile on my face if a.) I didn't want a sedan, b.) needed additional carrying capability and ease of loading, 3.) loved the looks of the Juke Nismo, 4.) knowing there's $2800 extra in my pocket (comparing standard Nismo AWD with WRX Base auto), and 5.) I appreciated and wanted the compact length of the Juke vs the WRX (full 18 inches).

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2014, 05:45:31 pm »
  So sad, what a waste of an engine. The little Micra looks far better than the Juke, in fact that would a fun combo!

My thoughts exactly.  Make a Micra Nismo RS with the 6 speed manual & 1.6L turbo out of this thing and price it right at $20k.

Offline D

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2014, 07:03:23 am »
30K and no HID headlights? ??? Good luck with that.

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2014, 02:57:34 pm »
Sorry, why exactly does my  neighbour's car matter?
When it's obvious that your neighbour bought a better car for the same money.