Author Topic: tire pull after winter  (Read 6542 times)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Re: tire pull after winter
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 03:10:12 pm »
Swapped the fronts - seems to be very slightly better but can't be sure. Probably just in my head. Suspect alignment. I guess it wasn't as noticeable with the winters.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 09:01:07 pm »
Turns out the right rear toe was out. $90 later I'm all fixed up.

Think the OE all seasons are just more sensitive to alignments. Even after the alignment its a bit twitchy on center.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 09:29:53 pm »

Think the OE all seasons are just more sensitive to alignments. Even after the alignment its a bit twitchy on center.

Ah, good that it was just a $90 fix.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 09:31:23 pm »

Hunter Hawkeye?   ;)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2014, 10:09:14 pm »
Yes, though much depends on calibration....I have been to Hunter Hawkeye shops and come out with pretty awful efforts. I really wonder how often some of those machines get calibrated.

Best alignment ever was still the CLK after visiting Can-Alignment. Was as if the car was on railway tracks. He uses a Bee-Line something or other, can't remember.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2014, 10:12:41 pm »

Best alignment ever was still the CLK after visiting Can-Alignment. Was as if the car was on railway tracks. He uses a Bee-Line something or other, can't remember.

I believe they do lots of racers.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2014, 11:16:39 pm »
They did my SLK, I was happy with the work and the price, plus it's a nice drive out there.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2014, 01:34:55 am »

The misalignment would have caused premature and uneven tire wear.  You probably got used to it when the tires were mounted before, and/or the problem was magnified by the tires being in different positions after being rotated.

Different alignment and forces on front and rear tires result in varying wear patterns.  After rotation, the tires are in positions where their patterns may be the opposite of how they want to wear in that position.  So they feel odd until the wear pattern reestablishes itself.  Not to mention the variation between sets when we do summer/winter swaps.  This is why rotation intervals are so short - to minimize this position-specific asymetrical wear.  So the greater the amount of wear resulting either from misalignment or long rotation intervals, the worse these effects will be. 

And the purpose of rotating tires is to make sets last longer because it evens out the wear patterns.  Without rotating, you'd bottom out part of the tread on some tires long before the tread of the whole width of all tires in the set are worn out.  I'd bet that cars with more extreme alignment settings have shorter rotation intervals.
And some cretins think I hate cars.