Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Ford Edge Limited AWD  (Read 7985 times)

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Ford Edge Limited AWD
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 10:12:27 am »
   I don't know, it's all about torque and HP. Low down high torque with a flat curve should do what it is supposed to do, regardless of engine size or number of cylinders. 270 lb. ft. at 1700 rpm. is better than the 3.8L in my van by a mile. And my large van goes just great and tows a trailer. Why do we always have to want Race Car charachteristics.
   I think that this config must do better on fuel consumption overall than larger capacity, when viewed from the city usage, mostly off turbo and idling....lots of idling in my experience. I agree though that if it does not do better, then what is the point.
   It seems to me that gas engines have not had massive efficiency improvements over time. Some lately with the VVVs and hopefully now the TTs. Still around 30% overall thermal efficiency is it not. As for the rest Sir Isaac still reigns. Nothing to be done.
   I wonder if the body design requirement of AWD have anything to do with the cushion height of the rear seat mentioned.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Ford Edge Limited AWD
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2013, 08:13:44 am »
On another note here...would not the lighter internal parts and fewer cylinders offer reduced internal weight to accelerate. Adding to brisker response time if the turbo spools up reasonably quickly.