Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Volkswagen Golf Wagon Sportline  (Read 12825 times)

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Volkswagen Golf Wagon Sportline
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 04:56:28 pm »
nice looking wagon, I can see this being cross-shopped with the all new Rondo and also the Orlando, maybe not the Mazda 5 due to its sliding rear doors but you never know.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 05:15:16 pm »
, I am 6'2" and can sit behind the driver's seat without my knees touching and with the front seat set in my preferred driving position, which is nearly all the way back and set at mid range height.  And there is plenty of foot space under the front seat even with it set at the lowest position.
I could not do that in the Jetta wagon I tried

Perhaps you had the front seat all the way back, behind which my knees do touch the seatback as well.  But with so much front seat travel, I find it too much of an arm and leg stretch if I put the seat all the back and thus can sit "behind myself".
I had the front seat set to a my preferred driving position

Offline northernont

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Golf Wagon tdi
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 07:48:06 pm »
I own a 2012 golf tdi highline wagon.  As mentioned in a previous reply, the back seats do fold flat if you take off the rear head seats (which I have done to accomodate my lab).  Appearance is personal and I really don't mind the look of the wagon (and the new 2014 version coming or 2015 depending on when it lands here is even nicer).  The mileage is great with the diesel and the cargo room is sufficient and better than some competitors SUVs...

I too, had a flat tire and had to call roadside assistance on a Saturday, who told me not to drive on the highway with the spare so I had it towed in to the local dealer and left it there for the weekend....the service guy was upset that I did not put the spare on it as he did not wish to come and get me at home (about 15 miles) and pick me up to retrieve my car as there was no such service....the new tire cost me a total of $350.  ouch....

My main issue with this vehicle has been poor winter performance.  My car does not like winter at all.  With no AWD and little ground clearance, (and I did not purchase snow tires), the car was scary during snow or ice storms....I did not feel safe....having come from a 4WD SUV jeep, I would have purchased an AWD version of this diesel wagon had one been offered (I see that one will be offered in Europe in the next version of this car but not in Canada which makes no sense to me but is apparently due to the fact that the mexico plant can't build an AWD vehicle since it is not set up for that...well, how about setting it up....this is Canada and I live in Northern Ontario where the roads are snowy and icy from at least December to March)

Also, during this cold winter, the battery went dead on me on several occasions, even when plugged in some times....so again roadside assistance was called...they checked the battery at the dealer but it did not show any signs of trouble....another cold night, found the defroster ceased up until it was warmer outside in a few hours.......a heated steering wheel is not available but would also be a great feature....I am considering trading this vehicle in because of the poor winter performance (even with snow tires, I still won't have much ground clearance and the battery and defroster don't seem able to cope with the cold winters....(I have no garage)....good 3 season car or 4 season if you live somewhere where snow and ice on the highways are not an issue....at least, this has been my experience...       

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 10:48:28 pm »
Hemusbul: "Besides, the las Consumer Reports put VW at the very last position with more than 250 problems at 100 cars. Think about!"
And which model are you referring to? Putting a whole company and all its cars in a bad position is quite strange. Golf is  a mid pack in terms of reliability. Above RAV4 in fact. Think about!!!!
Bombastic

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 12:08:40 am »
Auto vs manual as far as fuel economy is pretty murky now. The CVT in my CrossTrek is rated about 10% better than the manual according to the EPA.

What is your impression of the CVT transmission? I ask because I'm a little suspicious about the seemingly prevailing criticism of CVTs.

Having had one for a couple of months, I have two complaints about them.  One is that it makes the engine sound dumb (which is only because I'm not used to it). The other is that you can't tell what your speed is doing by listening to the engine note.  You have to check the speedometer several times as often as with a non-CVT.  But it seems to work just fine.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 07:04:48 am »
I own a 2012 golf tdi highline wagon.  As mentioned in a previous reply, the back seats do fold flat if you take off the rear head seats (which I have done to accomodate my lab).  Appearance is personal and I really don't mind the look of the wagon (and the new 2014 version coming or 2015 depending on when it lands here is even nicer).  The mileage is great with the diesel and the cargo room is sufficient and better than some competitors SUVs...

I too, had a flat tire and had to call roadside assistance on a Saturday, who told me not to drive on the highway with the spare so I had it towed in to the local dealer and left it there for the weekend....the service guy was upset that I did not put the spare on it as he did not wish to come and get me at home (about 15 miles) and pick me up to retrieve my car as there was no such service....the new tire cost me a total of $350.  ouch....

My main issue with this vehicle has been poor winter performance.  My car does not like winter at all.  With no AWD and little ground clearance, (and I did not purchase snow tires), the car was scary during snow or ice storms....I did not feel safe....having come from a 4WD SUV jeep, I would have purchased an AWD version of this diesel wagon had one been offered (I see that one will be offered in Europe in the next version of this car but not in Canada which makes no sense to me but is apparently due to the fact that the mexico plant can't build an AWD vehicle since it is not set up for that...well, how about setting it up....this is Canada and I live in Northern Ontario where the roads are snowy and icy from at least December to March)

Also, during this cold winter, the battery went dead on me on several occasions, even when plugged in some times....so again roadside assistance was called...they checked the battery at the dealer but it did not show any signs of trouble....another cold night, found the defroster ceased up until it was warmer outside in a few hours.......a heated steering wheel is not available but would also be a great feature....I am considering trading this vehicle in because of the poor winter performance (even with snow tires, I still won't have much ground clearance and the battery and defroster don't seem able to cope with the cold winters....(I have no garage)....good 3 season car or 4 season if you live somewhere where snow and ice on the highways are not an issue....at least, this has been my experience...     
Just wondering.......... how long have you been driving in Northern Ontario?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 07:19:29 am by Ace »

Offline northernont

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 07:40:32 am »
@ Ace:  I am over 50 and have been driving since age 16, mostly in Northern Ontario....I have never purchased snow tires for any of my vehicles, and just owned one other vehicle where snow tires were needed (small Mercedes c class RWD) but mainly owned 4WD/AWD vehicles, including various Jeeps and a Mercedes ML 350.  I consider myself an experienced 4 season driver.

When you own a VW Golf FWD (without snow tires) and simply to back out of the driveway from where it was parked overnight, with a little ice and snow on the paved driveway is a chore and requires some effort....it makes you think you bought the wrong car for this climate.  When I bought it, I was thinking that one should probably not buy a car just for winter driving; however, I am rethinking that mistake.  In the area where I live, AWD and/or 4WD is a safety issue and I consider it now essential for winter driving, without worrying if you can make it home if snow or ice is an issue....it a an issue of peace of mind and also reliability in the case of my car with the troubles with the battery and defroster....I live outside of the city, on a lake, and reliability is key for me, as well as safety...it is great to have good gas mileage and relatively good cargo space, but at the same time, one should not have to sacrifice safety and reliability and peace of mind in winter driving.     

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2013, 08:40:03 am »
A prudent person would  have tires which maintain their grip when the temperatures are below zero.  There is no doubt that AWD/4WD is a good thing but AWD/4WD with modern winter tires is a REALLY good thing.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 08:58:46 am »
@ Ace:  I am over 50 and have been driving since age 16, mostly in Northern Ontario....I have never purchased snow tires for any of my vehicles, and just owned one other vehicle where snow tires were needed (small Mercedes c class RWD) but mainly owned 4WD/AWD vehicles, including various Jeeps and a Mercedes ML 350.  I consider myself an experienced 4 season driver.

When you own a VW Golf FWD (without snow tires) and simply to back out of the driveway from where it was parked overnight, with a little ice and snow on the paved driveway is a chore and requires some effort....it makes you think you bought the wrong car for this climate.  When I bought it, I was thinking that one should probably not buy a car just for winter driving; however, I am rethinking that mistake.  In the area where I live, AWD and/or 4WD is a safety issue and I consider it now essential for winter driving, without worrying if you can make it home if snow or ice is an issue....it a an issue of peace of mind and also reliability in the case of my car with the troubles with the battery and defroster....I live outside of the city, on a lake, and reliability is key for me, as well as safety...it is great to have good gas mileage and relatively good cargo space, but at the same time, one should not have to sacrifice safety and reliability and peace of mind in winter driving.   
What do you consider to be Northern Ontario?
When I lived in Northern Ontario, TBay, we always had snows

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 09:03:01 am »
A prudent person would  have tires which maintain their grip when the temperatures are below zero.  There is no doubt that AWD/4WD is a good thing but AWD/4WD with modern winter tires is a REALLY good thing.

My Outback 3.6R with Blizzaks was unstoppable, well unless you wanted to stop.  ;D

I have new snowtires for the CrossTrek, but I'm debating installing them since Spring is approaching and the Geolanders seem to have decent traction in snow.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2013, 09:18:14 am »

I have some sound advice for a fellow Golf TDI owner!
Invest in 4 good winter tires on steel rims,
I too live north of Barrie and as a salesman I regularly travel to Sudbury and North Bay year round on back roads and hwys 400 and 11. My Michelin X-Ice tires provide excellent traction, handling and safety in all winter conditions. The Golf wagon is an excellent winter vehicle with the right tires. You won't believe the difference.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2013, 11:51:18 am »
When you [...] simply to back out of the driveway from where it was parked overnight, with a little ice and snow on the paved driveway is a chore and requires some effort....it makes you think you bought the wrong car for this climate.

See, my thoughts exactly.  Nobody truly "needs" snow tires, but it's a safety concern (not a guarantee of a collision of any sort, neglecting snow tires just increases the likelihood).  It follows that nobody truly "needs" AWD/4WD, but it again reduces the likelihood of collision (however inadvertent) in certain situations (sliding on the road while in motion?  Inability to get through an intersection?  hitting your other car in the driveway because the car goes sideways when backing out?).

Not to hijack this thread and turn it into a snow tire/AWD forum, but the hassle of FWD cars with low ground clearance, even with great snow tires, in snowier climates may not be worth the hassle for some and that's a genuinely respectable claim.

The Golfwagon is an ok car.  It offers a great alternative to the CUVs that typically have far less usable room inside.  If you are an urban or suburbanite, the Golfwagon is a really good option - but for me, too pricey and not worth it without the TDI drivetrain.

The Audi Q3 RS is the Golf wagon with better ground clearance and Quattro - that's the car to look at ;)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2013, 12:04:21 pm »
The Golfwagon is an ok car.  It offers a great alternative to the CUVs that typically have far less usable room inside.  If you are an urban or suburbanite, the Golfwagon is a really good option - but for me, too pricey and not worth it without the TDI drivetrain.

The Audi Q3 RS is the Golf wagon with better ground clearance and Quattro - that's the car to look at

So the golf wagon tdi is good, but it's too pricey.  But the Audi Q3 RS is the car too look at, because it has better ground clearance and quattro, but that's not pricey?  I guess the quattro makes it worth it right?

BTW, I would hope your Outback is rattle free, its not even 2 years old yet!  Yes it may have a slightly better interior than a WRX, that car rattles right off the dealer lot!

Offline northernont

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2013, 08:26:15 am »
As a northerner, we tend to consider anyone living north of ParrySound as Northern Ontario....

I have no doubt that 4 quality snow tires would make a difference with this vehicle in winter driving....although like others have mentioned, the FWD and low ground clearance are still factors in being able to get around in ice and snow....and of course, the hastle and cost of having to switch out tires twice a year and find storage for these things..

(The Audi, I believe, does not have as much cargo space as the VW wagon)....I would not want to have any less cargo space than the VW wagon (about 67 volume with rear seats down)...

For myself, the ideal vehicle would be the new VW golfwagon they intend to sell in Europe next year, according to recent reports....diesel engine, slightly larger cargo area, AWD (alltrack or 4 motion, whatever they intend to call it)....with higher ground clearance and a look similar to the Alltrack Passat they showed last year at the New York Auto Show (think Subaru cladding around bottom)....I do hope they bring this vehicle to Canada as I would trade in mine in a second....(don't like the CVT transmission in Subaru's, or the lack of a diesel engine)...

Yes, it may sacrifice a little on gas mileage but I would take that sacrifice for the AWD and higher ground clearance...and peace of mind...installing a heavy duty battery and alternator and heated steering wheel as an option would be nice as well....   

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2013, 08:41:49 am »
As a northerner, we tend to consider anyone living north of ParrySound as Northern Ontario....
Northerner Ontario starts after French River , perry sound is south of that
I would say Northern Ontario starts north of the 47 degree

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2013, 08:30:36 pm »
Northerner Ontario starts after French River , perry sound is south of that
I would say Northern Ontario starts north of the 47 degree

I agree, Parry Sound is still SO's cottage country.