Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 VW Golf TDI wagon  (Read 26965 times)

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
Re: Test Drive: 2012 VW Golf TDI wagon
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2012, 12:36:36 am »
....the more likely replacement would be a used BMW 328i wagon. Only problem is they are tough to find with both a manual transmission and the sport package.

And have less cargo but more money, although at least leasing is a viable option with BMW's artificially high residuals.

The better performance, driving dynamics, fuel economy, and more amenities make up for the smaller interior, IMO.

I'd also consider a 5-series wagon, but they are even more difficult to find with a manual and are still pretty pricey. They are also not as sporty as I would like (though their straight line performance is fantastic in twin-turbo 535i guise).

Have you actually driven a 5-series wagon? Not as sporty compared to what exactly? I'd have gone with a manual myself, but needed an automatic to allow my wife to drive (and frankly, driving around Toronto highways with the dynamic cruise control has made commuting easy). Depending which buttons one presses, it's pretty much as capable as the sedan when pressed. Still, all said, I'm still waiting to find a decent handling wagon that also has a good build quality WITHOUT having to step into the crossover realm. It's a shame that Lexus gave up on the IS300 Sportcross and that Volvo no longer exports the V70R wagon to Canada. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2012, 09:11:21 am »
Have you actually driven a 5-series wagon? Not as sporty compared to what exactly? I'd have gone with a manual myself, but needed an automatic to allow my wife to drive (and frankly, driving around Toronto highways with the dynamic cruise control has made commuting easy). Depending which buttons one presses, it's pretty much as capable as the sedan when pressed. Still, all said, I'm still waiting to find a decent handling wagon that also has a good build quality WITHOUT having to step into the crossover realm. It's a shame that Lexus gave up on the IS300 Sportcross and that Volvo no longer exports the V70R wagon to Canada. 

Yes, I've driven both a 2010 535i wagon automatic and a 2006 325i six-speed manual wagon, both without the sport package. The 3-series is far more tossable and fun. In the 5-series you feel a lot more isolated from the road.

Don't get me wrong, the 5-series is a fantastic car. The one I drove had all the tech package goodies and the stunning brown leather interior. I loved it.

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2012, 10:37:58 am »

Yes, I've driven both a 2010 535i wagon automatic and a 2006 325i six-speed manual wagon, both without the sport package. The 3-series is far more tossable and fun. In the 5-series you feel a lot more isolated from the road.

Don't get me wrong, the 5-series is a fantastic car. The one I drove had all the tech package goodies and the stunning brown leather interior. I loved it.

I'd say that's a fair statement - the difference with the 5-series is the rear air-bladder suspension. I suspect that under "normal" settings, it's more set for touring, but pressing the DTC button (and holding it 5 seconds to disable most of the nannies) changes it to a much firmer and responsive setting. That said, since BMW no longer imports either one into Canada, it'll be a challenge to find a good compromise when it comes time to replace it. I've previously commented on issues surrounding the build quality of the 5, and I'm on the fence whether after all the repairs (under warranty) how it'll hold out after 80,000K. The Dinan Stage 2 computer upgrade really makes it come alive, and in a sense it becomes a different car, even if it'll probably compromise the overall durability.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2012, 03:02:42 pm »
I did try out the "sport" mode but even that can't disguise the fact that that the 5 is a much bigger, heavier car than the 3.

I did really like the automatic transmission on the 5-series. It's the first automatic I've driven that I thought was truly excellent.

Offline northernont

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Golf Wagon tdi
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2013, 07:50:45 pm »
I own a 2012 vw golf wagon tdi and found it does not like northern ontario winters at all...first, the tires it comes with are terrible in snow and ice...sometimes slipping just getting out of the driveway...scary....I did not buy winter tires...never had a vehicle in my life where I bought winter tires so didn't think I needed them but with this vehicle, I don't feel safe with these original tires at all...

Also, hard to start in cold weather...if overnight temps drop to more than -14C or colder, needs to be plugged in or it won't start....or if you don't drive it everyday and there are cold temps at night, needs to be plugged in...
In addition, defroster completely ceased up during very cold weather and had to wait for hours until it finally decided to start working again once outside temps warmed up a little..

Needless to say ,  not impressed with cold weather performance....I understand that in 2014 a new golf wagon will be coming with possibly AWD and a more rugged exterior and interior to compete with Subaru Outback and the like.....definitely need AWD version of the tdi and if you don't have a garage to put one in the winter as it is now, and you live in a cold temp area, consider that this is a 3 season vehicle and may not be great for you... 

Offline micha

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW Golf R; 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen; 1998 Mercedes E320
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2013, 10:55:04 pm »
I own a 2012 vw golf wagon tdi and found it does not like northern ontario winters at all...first, the tires it comes with are terrible in snow and ice...sometimes slipping just getting out of the driveway...scary....I did not buy winter tires...never had a vehicle in my life where I bought winter tires so didn't think I needed them but with this vehicle, I don't feel safe with these original tires at all...

Also, hard to start in cold weather...if overnight temps drop to more than -14C or colder, needs to be plugged in or it won't start....or if you don't drive it everyday and there are cold temps at night, needs to be plugged in...
In addition, defroster completely ceased up during very cold weather and had to wait for hours until it finally decided to start working again once outside temps warmed up a little..

Needless to say ,  not impressed with cold weather performance....I understand that in 2014 a new golf wagon will be coming with possibly AWD and a more rugged exterior and interior to compete with Subaru Outback and the like.....definitely need AWD version of the tdi and if you don't have a garage to put one in the winter as it is now, and you live in a cold temp area, consider that this is a 3 season vehicle and may not be great for you... 

I disagree on several points. First, yes you do need winter tires on ANY vehicle. It should be mandatory IMO. If you choose not to buy winter tires, then it shouldn't surprise you that you don't have traction in poor conditions. Second, my Dads 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI always started (until he totaled it). And Edmonton is not that warm either. Third, defroster worked fine as well. Maybe you got a lemon? Also, it sounds like you are always parked outside. That might make a difference as well? Last, I hope it does not get a "more rugged exterior and interior", otherwise it would loose all its appeal (to me). Also, AWD is very unlikely and if it comes will be a slip and grip system as in the Golf R/Tiguan/Audi A3/TT. It wouldn't really appeal to the Subaru crowd.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2013, 12:52:42 am »
yea, something isn't right...a new TDi car should start at -14C no problem...just make sure you wait for the glow plugs to work first.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2013, 07:57:10 am »

I disagree on several points. First, yes you do need winter tires on ANY vehicle. It should be mandatory IMO. If you choose not to buy winter tires, then it shouldn't surprise you that you don't have traction in poor conditions. Second, my Dads 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI always started (until he totaled it). And Edmonton is not that warm either. Third, defroster worked fine as well. Maybe you got a lemon? Also, it sounds like you are always parked outside. That might make a difference as well? Last, I hope it does not get a "more rugged exterior and interior", otherwise it would loose all its appeal (to me). Also, AWD is very unlikely and if it comes will be a slip and grip system as in the Golf R/Tiguan/Audi A3/TT. It wouldn't really appeal to the Subaru crowd.

Are you writing that you need to park the car inside to have it start when it is cold out ?
What did he get after it was totaled ?