Author Topic: 2024 midsize PHEV SUV comparo: CX-90 vs Grand Cherokee  (Read 2646 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: 2024 midsize PHEV SUV comparo: CX-90 vs Grand Cherokee
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2024, 10:54:23 am »
Believe me I know. Begrudgingly accept a blown six? The smart play may be a 2023 and replace that godawful nose with one of those slick off-roader fronts. Still stuck with the swing gate but other than that it would be fine..

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2024, 11:03:43 am »
I would take a new Lexus GX with a proper engine over either of these offerings. But that's just me.  ;D

Not a PHEV - pay attention  ;)

Having sat in the thing, not impressed. Interior is cramped, except for the trunk. 1st-gen Kona-grade rear seat room. Rear bumper cover hyper flimsy. Does not feel like a Lexus inside.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2024, 11:36:26 am »
I would take a new Lexus GX with a proper engine over either of these offerings. But that's just me.  ;D

Having sat in the thing, not impressed. Interior is cramped, except for the trunk. 1st-gen Kona-grade rear seat room. Rear bumper cover hyper flimsy. Does not feel like a Lexus inside.

How does it compare with the old model?

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2024, 11:42:15 am »

How does it compare with the old model?

I may have seen one - ever. Does not sell at all here, and probably strictly on-order basis at the dealers. I've seen pictures, looked swankier. I did drive its 4Runner platform-mate, and the new GX feels like a Wrangler in person. Paper-thin doors, vertical windows and UN-mission vibe. Has less rear-seat room than an Ulimited, maybe. I like the idea of this vehicle more as a Land Cruiser. 4Runner has a much wider cabin and more rear seat room.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2024, 11:46:25 am »
TFL loves it. Tows 9000 lbs and the hybrid for those that want it comes next year. Seems to have more than enough room for the big guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgVOqhxnbB0&t=1218s

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2024, 11:51:25 am »
TFL loves it. Tows 9000 lbs and the hybrid for those that want it comes next year. Seems to have more than enough room for the big guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgVOqhxnbB0&t=1218s

Not the same mission anyhow as what I'm comparing here. At ToyoLexus, a Grand Highlander would fit this category, IF they issued a Prime version (which is expected).

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2024, 11:53:32 am »

That would almost be a deal killer for me.

Is that a deal killer if it's your car and just your drive it?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2024, 12:02:38 pm »

It took me a bit but I finally found that the seatback angle is critical at getting myself comfy. Once I set that, the other drivers in the family raise the seat and bring it forward a bit. I hit the down button as soon as I sit down, usually that's enough. Ditto in the Crosstrek (no memory either). The GT has seat memory, but + $5k.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12356
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2024, 12:39:46 pm »
I'd agree with your conclusions.....no contest. The idea of a JGC well north of 100K just seems absurd to me. Under all the stuck on fancy bits it's still a Chrysler at heart.....with all that entails in terms of quality and reliability.  :(

Yup.

Solid comparison, thanks for posting it.

The price on the Jeep makes no sense.

Neither does Mazda not having memory settinyg for the seats... That would almost be a deal killer for me.

Possibly a deal-breaker for me on a vehicle at this price point.  Really surprised that it doesn't have it.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2024, 12:56:57 pm »
, the other drivers in the family raise the seat and bring it forward a bit

Didn't you read what I wrote?  LOL [emoji38]

If no one but you drives the car, does it matter?

For example, my Prime is my first car in forever that doesn't have seat memory. But since no one else drives the car, it really doesn't matter because the seat never moves.

OR does one demand seat memory because a car costing $$$ should have memory and the notion of a $$$ car without memory is offensive to you. :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 01:03:19 pm by rrocket »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2024, 01:04:05 pm »

In fairness, what you wrote didn't exactly make sense.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2024, 01:16:17 pm »

It took me a bit but I finally found that the seatback angle is critical at getting myself comfy. Once I set that, the other drivers in the family raise the seat and bring it forward a bit. I hit the down button as soon as I sit down, usually that's enough. Ditto in the Crosstrek (no memory either). The GT has seat memory, but + $5k.

We share the non power Crosstrek without much issue. Whoever decided to put manual seat height adjustment on an angle was a genius. Adjusting it up brings the seat forward, lowering it down a few clicks takes it back, usually that's enough for both of us

The power seats on the RX are in a way more difficult, I can hardly fit in the front if I forget to hit the button before I get in

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2024, 01:27:54 pm »

We share the non power Crosstrek without much issue. Whoever decided to put manual seat height adjustment on an angle was a genius. Adjusting it up brings the seat forward, lowering it down a few clicks takes it back, usually that's enough for both of us

The power seats on the RX are in a way more difficult, I can hardly fit in the front if I forget to hit the button before I get in

I think it's definitely less of an issue with manual seat adjustment (and of course, memory seats wouldn't be expected on a vehicle so equipped).

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2024, 01:36:26 pm »

In fairness, what you wrote didn't exactly make sense.

;D We fight but we're still brothers

Usually, with a 7-seater, you're talking family car and typically two adultls + teen drivers, so at $60k you'd expect seat memories. In a little car like the Crosstrek or Prius, not really. Like wireless phone mirroring, you expect these little niceties at this price point.

Fun comparison: my daughter's CX-30 GS has auto-down mirrors when reversing (we don't), but has a starter button but fob access only (we have a full-function smart key). Materials actually look swankier in the CX-30.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2024, 01:36:33 pm »
I actually think memory seats are something I could do without. I use mine about twice a year when my daughter is home but think I could certainly live without it.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2024, 01:45:11 pm »
Both of our cars have memory seats and I don't think I've really set them up but my wife and I seem to like our seats roughly in the same place anyways.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2024, 02:11:25 pm »
Both of our cars have memory seats and I don't think I've really set them up but my wife and I seem to like our seats roughly in the same place anyways.

When I was primary driver of the 2015 Genesis, if my wife had driven the car, I'd be smashed against the steering wheel when I got in. If my daughter had driven the car, I couldn't even get in. But press one button before entering, and the seat was placed perfectly for me. Fair to say that for singles and for couples who have the same driving position, memory seats aren't much of a benefit. But they are a benefit for everyone else whose vehicle is used by more than one driver.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2024, 02:24:04 pm »

When I was primary driver of the 2015 Genesis, if my wife had driven the car, I'd be smashed against the steering wheel when I got in. If my daughter had driven the car, I couldn't even get in. But press one button before entering, and the seat was placed perfectly for me. Fair to say that for singles and for couples who have the same driving position, memory seats aren't much of a benefit. But they are a benefit for everyone else whose vehicle is used by more than one driver.

I actually think power seats without memory are kind of dumb. I can adjust my seat manually much more quickly, though obviously many power seats have more adjustments than typical manual seats.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2024, 02:58:28 pm »

I actually think power seats without memory are kind of dumb. I can adjust my seat manually much more quickly, though obviously many power seats have more adjustments than typical manual seats.

The Passport has driver's memory seat which is handy, I mainly drive it, but every once in a while Bella drives it & has her own setting. The SLK has memory settings on both front seats which comes in handy more often than not, Bella likes her setting for the passenger seat & then when I put my golf bag in there I just hit a different button on the memory settings so it fits easily. Bella's 3 has a power seat with no memory & I can't fit in there with the way she has it set, so anytime I drive it I mess up her setting and then she has to re-adjust it back somehow.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2024, 03:02:36 pm »
Speaking of seat height, parking the Jeep with the air suspension at its top setting triggers the vertically challenged  ;D