Author Topic: 2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7L 45RFE auto stalling when coming to a stop.  (Read 16426 times)

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
Re: 2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7L 45RFE auto stalling when coming to a stop.
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 11:25:53 am »
$140/hr?!?!?!  Holy fack!  Well, you've got more $$$ into the truck....it's back on the 5 year plan (as my father would say).

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2008, 12:07:56 pm »
This is a weird problem for sure. Today at -23 the transmission was just fine. ???

mar1990

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2008, 09:16:49 pm »
Intermittent problems are such a :censor: to debug.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2008, 11:24:14 pm »
Intermittent problems are such a :censor: to debug.

That is why I got suckered and had the bright idea of taking it to the dealer for diagnosis. I have no doubt their diagnosis is correct: Problem #1 Solenoid pack, specifically the torque converter lock up transducer. Problem #2 line pressure sensor. If it acts up tomorrow I will make an appointment for the above two items at a transmssion shop.

One comment from the shop made me nevous though. When I asked if they used ATF 4+ he said no. They use regular dextron and add some additive to it. Do you think this is OK?

Here is my problem #2 described to a T. This issue cropped up after I replaced the filters, I thought it may be related to a different brand ATF I used.

21-015-05 45RFE / 545RFE TRANS - DELAYED ENGAGEMENT DUE TO COOLER RETURN FILTER REPLACEMENT
Date: 09/01/05

Model year(s): 2005-2006

Description: NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 45RFE or a 545RFE automatic transmission (sales code DG4 or DGQ respectively). This bulletin involves a transmission delayed shift condition that may occur following the replacement of the internal cooler return filter.

Details: The customer may experience an initial delayed shift engagement following an extended off (not running) period of time, generally after being parked overnight. The initial shift engagement may feel like a delay or slip when a transmission gear (reverse or drive) is first selected after engine start.

The customer may not have experienced the delayed shift engagement until after the transmission has been serviced, where the cooler return filter was replaced during the service and/or repair. The condition is not detrimental to the transmission but may cause concern with the customer.

The above condition may be caused by a suspect cooler return filter a part number of 04799662AB. This “AB” suffix / level filter may allow transmission fluid to drain back out of the torque converter. The drain back condition may occur over a period time when the engine (and transmission) are not running. With less fluid in the torque converter a delay in gear engagement may occur at engine start up while the torque converter fills to its proper fluid level.

All 04799662AB cooler return filters with the “AB” suffix are suspectI have a receipt for a AC filter. HMMMM   The above condition may be corrected by replacing a suspect “AB” filter with a new cooler return filter whose part number is 04799662 (with no suffix or with a suffix that is other than the “AB” level).

NOTE: The cooler return filter, p/n 04799662, will not be available until September 09, 2005. The filter part number is stenciled on the side of the filter case.

NOTE: A replacement 04799662 cooler return filter may come packaged with a separate threaded adapter stud. The threaded adapter stud is used to attach the cooler return filter to the transmission. Inspect the stud and note end without threads. Install the stud end without the threads into the cooler return filter and tighten the stud-to-filter connection to 18.6 Nm (165 in. lbs.). Once the threaded adapter stud has been installed to the cooler return filter, install the assembled cooler return filter to the transmission and tighten the filter to 14.1 Nm (125 in. lbs.) Filter location

« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 12:27:37 am by ktm525 »

mar1990

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2008, 07:42:18 am »
My Dakota has developed an annoying problem. When coming to a stop the engine RPMS fall to about 400 RPM. Most of the time the idle recovers back to the normal 600 RPM but about 1/10 times the engine stalls. The engine fires right back up. I don't think it is the torque converter not unlocking as I can be rolling at only 10 km/h and stop suddenly and the same situation occurs.

I am not a transmission expert by any means, nor do I play one on TV.

What happens if you put the tranny in neutral first then brake?  Does the engine still drop down in RPM?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2008, 10:54:27 am »
My Dakota has developed an annoying problem. When coming to a stop the engine RPMS fall to about 400 RPM. Most of the time the idle recovers back to the normal 600 RPM but about 1/10 times the engine stalls. The engine fires right back up. I don't think it is the torque converter not unlocking as I can be rolling at only 10 km/h and stop suddenly and the same situation occurs.

I am not a transmission expert by any means, nor do I play one on TV.

What happens if you put the tranny in neutral first then brake?  Does the engine still drop down in RPM?

No.

barrie1

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2008, 11:48:54 pm »
I would also have the linkage examined closely to make sure its retacting correctly as well. Its seems strange to me that the RPM's are staying up that high at as slow speed as it should release after you lift your foot of course.  :)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2008, 11:58:55 am »
It's scheduled to go under the knife tomorrow. The condition is much worse in cold temps. The fix is to replace the solemoid pack which is essentially the transmission's brain. Not a cheap part ($525) but the labour is minimal to swap it out. I am hoping the filter replacement will correct the transient problem of the torque converter draining.