Author Topic: 2022 F-150 Lightning  (Read 67959 times)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 02:46:44 pm by Brig »
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Re: 2022 F-150 Lighting
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 08:36:00 am »
With so many people using trucks as their primary vehicles, the 14 cu.ft. frunk will be a life changer - no more stuff bouncing around in the open bed:

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 08:44:01 am »
The fleet version will start at 58k CAD, 68k CAD is for the consumer-grade XLT

https://canada.autonews.com/cars-concepts/ford-f-150-lightning-padded-content-starting-about-68k-xlt-trim

Impressive specs - including an independant rear suspension!

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 08:49:10 am »
Pretty cool and would make for a great city truck, at the very least.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 08:49:59 am »
Cool.

I still think PHEV is the way to go for a vehicle that will tow trailers on extended roadtrips.  This F-150 wouldn't make it the 315km from Winnipeg to Blue Lake, ON while towing a trailer, which is a trip we're doing this summer (COVID willing).   Charging infrastructure is a little sparse along that route, too.

As a daily driver/local excursion vehicle, this is pretty cool though.

ANYWAY, this is set to go on sale next year?  An actual, bonafide fully electric truck that will legitimately go on sale in a year. 

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 08:54:02 am »
Cool.

I still think PHEV is the way to go for a vehicle that will tow trailers on extended roadtrips.  This F-150 wouldn't make it the 315km from Winnipeg to Blue Lake, ON while towing a trailer, which is a trip we're doing this summer (COVID willing).   Charging infrastructure is a little sparse along that route, too.

ANYWAY, this is set to go on sale next year?  An actual, bonafide fully electric truck that will legitimately go on sale in a year.

C/D discusses towing in a sidebar: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36481590/ford-f150-lightning-range-towing/

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 09:05:17 am »
With so many people using trucks as their primary vehicles, the 14 cu.ft. frunk will be a life changer - no more stuff bouncing around in the open bed:

Decisions decisions...do I drive through or back in (at Costco).  ;D

US starts at $38,000 which is $48,000ish at todays exchange rate...wonder why it's such a leap for us to get in.  :o Yikes...

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2021, 09:22:42 am »
Hoping there's a difference in content - that heat pump for one. On the Niro, you have to pay an extra 9k$ to get it thanks to a mandatory trim upgrade.

Edit - commercial version bases at 39,974 USD, XLT at 52,974 USD, max is 90,474 USD. Comparing the 68 CAD for the XLT, one gets an exchange rate of 1.28, not far off current numbers. It's even better at the top end where that rate computes to 1.215. Commercial - if 48 CAD - computes to 1.20.

The Canadian pricing is probably approximate given the spring 2022 on-sale date. Still, we're not being taken for a ride in the frunk.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 09:32:35 am by Blueprint »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2021, 09:53:32 am »
I am not a Ford guy, or a truck guy, but this seems damn impressive. Rivian who? Cybertruck what?

Mustang Mach E was a terrible name, but calling this thing Lightning is just perfect.

They will sell a ton of these.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2021, 10:01:59 am »
You'd think fleet buyers (at least city based ones) are going to looking hard at electric vehicles to see if they pencil out, especially in warmer states

It will be interesting how long Ford can make that battery last, and if they have any fire issues like the Bolt did

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2021, 10:08:57 am »
You'd think fleet buyers (at least city based ones) are going to looking hard at electric vehicles to see if they pencil out, especially in warmer states

Forget the warm climes - policy makers are already dropping ICE purchases and massively investing in commercial EV fleets. I'm betting all pickup tendering is halted at dayjob and waiting for this to arrive - deposits probably being made. Running around a jurisdiction 7 am - 3 pm and coming back to the shop for the overnight makes perfect sense for these trucks, even if they had half the predicted range. Plus, the power tools capabality is quite an asset. No need to keep the truck idling either to power the big orange arrows. 

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2021, 10:15:58 am »

Forget the warm climes - policy makers are already dropping ICE purchases and massively investing in commercial EV fleets. I'm betting all pickup tendering is halted at dayjob and waiting for this to arrive - deposits probably being made. Running around a jurisdiction 7 am - 3 pm and coming back to the shop for the overnight makes perfect sense for these trucks, even if they had half the predicted range. Plus, the power tools capabality is quite an asset. No need to keep the truck idling either to power the big orange arrows.

Totally agree.  It's a great application.  Fleet will be where it's at for these trucks.  Even private contractors - assuming a contractor doesn't have to leave the city, he can tow his 24' enclosed trailer full of tools to/from site, and then use his truck for power all day instead of lugging around a generator.  Ford should build in an optional air compressor so that you can plug in an airhose and run your airtools.  That would be the ultimate contractor special. 

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2021, 10:18:16 am »
Cool.

C/D discusses towing in a sidebar: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36481590/ford-f150-lightning-range-towing/

They are clearly not there yet for towing. Is there a business opportunity in recovering e vehicles that have run out of juice from the sides of highways? A quick recharge or are we flat bedding them all?

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2021, 10:23:57 am »
I guess that frunk would be great for storing tools and supplies for fleets

And if Ford has sorted the battery (and I understand regular use is much better for batteries than sitting around), the motors should last almost forever. No more gambling on an Ecoboost or God help you, a Ford diesel

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2021, 10:30:09 am »
Cool.

They are clearly not there yet for towing. Is there a business opportunity in recovering e vehicles that have run out of juice from the sides of highways? A quick recharge or are we flat bedding them all?
For those that tow seriously, yeah they are not there. But they are few and far between these days (from what I see) and for those that tow, I am sure that the V8 is still there for ya

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2021, 10:36:53 am »
Cool.

For those that tow seriously, yeah they are not there. But they are few and far between these days (from what I see) and for those that tow, I am sure that the V8 is still there for ya

We live in different places but a lot of trucks tow, just not constantly. Think about Harry Homeowner with a double axle bunk model trailer. A handful of of trips a year with a it  and a range near 200k kms is not going to cut it. Looks to be a great option for fleets though when vehicles come back to the yard every night. The golf cart model. Won't work too well when vehicles are at a location for extended peeriods although they could charge them with on site diesel generators I suppose.  ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2021, 10:44:54 am »
Cool.

We live in different places but a lot of trucks tow, just not constantly. Think about Harry Homeowner with a double axle bunk model trailer. A handful of of trips a year with a it  and a range near 200k kms is not going to cut it. Looks to be a great option for fleets though when vehicles come back to the yard every night. The golf cart model. Won't work too well when vehicles are at a location for extended peeriods although they could charge them with on site diesel generators I suppose.  ;D

Thats exactly where this thing will shine, golf cart models. As for running all your tools off of it, yeah, great, and how do I get home?? No, this as a fleet vehicle, sure, as an actual replacement for a truck, naaah.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2021, 11:00:00 am »
Cool.

Thats exactly where this thing will shine, golf cart models. As for running all your tools off of it, yeah, great, and how do I get home?? No, this as a fleet vehicle, sure, as an actual replacement for a truck, naaah.
I think you serious truck guys underestimate the number of urban cowboys out there that this will suit very, very well. Home Depot runs, daily commuter family vehicle that the modern truck needs to be.

Serious work truckers, long distance drivers, and those that need to tow often...yeah ICE is still your best bet.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2021, 11:02:07 am »
Cool.

I think you serious truck guys underestimate the number of urban cowboys out there that this will suit very, very well. Home Depot runs, daily commuter family vehicle that the modern truck needs to be.

Serious work truckers, long distance drivers, and those that need to tow often...yeah ICE is still your best bet.

No, like KTM said, even the urban cowboy that has to tow the family camper around a few times a year isn't going to be satisfied with one of these. How are you going to sit around for hours on end waiting for your truck to charge to drive a few hundred km's for that few times a year you can actually get out and camp.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2021, 11:25:07 am »
No, like KTM said, even the urban cowboy that has to tow the family camper around a few times a year isn't going to be satisfied with one of these. How are you going to sit around for hours on end waiting for your truck to charge to drive a few hundred km's for that few times a year you can actually get out and camp.

As if every "urban cowboy" tows a camper.

My buddy who has his fourth F-150 since 2014 on order right now would be the perfect customer for this. Mostly uses it around town but takes it to his camp on the lake every week in the spring/summer/fall which is less than 150 km away round trip. And a few day/weekend trips to places that are 100-300 km away.