Author Topic: Chevrolet Bolt  (Read 53284 times)

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
Re: Chevrolet Bolt
« Reply #160 on: December 12, 2017, 11:27:43 pm »
perfect comparison.  a p100d costs 176k....  a porsche panamera 4 e hybrid is 113k. a mercedes amg 63 is 115k
didn't elon say the model s was an affordable car?

The Tesla Model S P100D destroys the AMG , see here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ0XACnjT6A

Also note that Elon wrote this:
https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/blog/secret-tesla-motors-master-plan-just-between-you-and-me

Build sports car
Use that money to build an affordable car
Use that money to build an even more affordable car

The base Tesla is an affordable car for those driving 300,000 km over a 10 year ownership period.
Any other premium sedan would use $30000 more to fuel over that period.
At a base price with rebate in Ontario, that's a $80K car, that is equivalent to a $50K gas car in terms of ownership cost.

Our Tesla absolutely thrashes the $50K Mercedes SUV my wife used to drive for performance, luxury, technology, driving experience.

Model 3 will slay premium competition.  Argument will be "I like sound", because performance, road handling, technology will be a slam dunk for Tesla.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #161 on: December 13, 2017, 12:26:38 am »
perfect comparison.  a p100d costs 176k....  a porsche panamera 4 e hybrid is 113k. a mercedes amg 63 is 115k

https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/blog/secret-tesla-motors-master-plan-just-between-you-and-me

Build sports car

The base Tesla is an affordable car for those driving 300,000 km over a 10 year ownership period.
At a base price with rebate in Ontario, that's a $80K car, that is equivalent to a $50K gas car in terms of ownership cost.

Our Tesla absolutely thrashes the $50K Mercedes SUV my wife used to drive for performance, luxury, technology, driving experience.

Model 3 will slay premium competition.  Argument will be "I like sound", because performance, road handling, technology will be a slam dunk for Tesla.
Blah, blah, blah... blah, blah, blah... blah, blah, blah-blah. Oh & btw how's Elon's c**k taste?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 13, 2017, 01:02:56 am »

You're confusing "affordable" with "cheap operating costs".  One is cost up front...once is an incremental cost. 

The base Tesla is in no way an affordable car.  Actually, looking on the website the cheapest Tesla S they show, P75D with AWD is $96,000. (no more RWD Tesla S in Canada apparently)  After $14k rebate (which comes AFTER taxes), that puts the on road price at $94,000 (oh...add on $6,000 if you want heated seats).  I'm sorry...nobody EVER has said a $94K car is affordable.  OK, I lied.  Tesla slappies say $94K is affordable.

Your continue ignorance in the face of facts is astounding.  Seriously...how can you sit there with a straight face saying $94K is affordable?

« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 01:09:17 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #163 on: December 13, 2017, 02:11:05 am »

Build sports car

one slappy trumps another here...your Model 3 did not win COTY in MT....but the Alfa Romeo Giulia [which is also a premium 4 door sedan] did. Performance, road handling...those are test criteria for the judges. Tesla didn't slay anything.

Now, remember, I am a fan of the 3, and have one on order...but come on...

Also, I certainly hope a Model S performance model thrashes a big SUV in terms of performance and driving experience, and luxury and technology could be debatable.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 13, 2017, 02:30:48 am »
^^^^Glassware vs Vaporware!   :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 13, 2017, 02:33:44 am »
^^^^Glassware vs Vaporware!   :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl: :rofl2:

heh yeah - at least both are interesting cars though worth talking and arguing about

not like almost all of the CUV segment, especially that stupid Nissan "INSERTTRENDYNAMEHERE"

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 14, 2017, 12:57:00 am »
hey that large rebate makes these things affordable to some that otherwise could not afford them

otherwise either people cant afford them, or the manufacturers cant afford to make them

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 14, 2017, 09:02:41 am »
hey that large rebate makes these things affordable to some that otherwise could not afford them

otherwise either people cant afford them, or the manufacturers cant afford to make them

focus on vehicles that are reasonably priced and more so, built in canada.  there's absolutely no need to subsidize anything over 60-75k dollars.  force the oems to build in canada so the money stays here not subsidizing the wealthy and elon. 

i would argue that buses and trucks, should initially be the target of subsidizes for vehicles and hydrogen and charging stations since these vehicles produce the most pollution beyond energy sector itself.  https://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2017/01/25/heavy-transportation-is-now-the-biggest-polluter/#77f156bd1a19

to insist cars be locally built is living in the 50s, sorry - it is a global economy and car build locations reflect that

and yes subsidizing a new technology that NEEDS to get traction in market for the greater good is needed to make the cars affordable to as many as possible...at least until the industry makes a dramatic shift

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 14, 2017, 01:52:18 pm »
There's a Bolt in Wpg at a dealer...$53g. And we have had a TON of hydro money...and not one single rebate to dole out to help convince people to buy electric cars (none I've heard of anyway)  Ouch.  I would love an electric/hybrid for commuting, considering how much I spend on gas every year, I wonder how long it would pan out in the end.  A Volt might be nice too...but instead, I'm getting an Instant Pot and going to re-market it as an electro-hydrogenous power convertor and then I'm going to be rich!  After that I'm buying a SINGER, and then it's "fack all ya alls!!" to everybody!

That's what I'm doing.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 14, 2017, 08:09:54 pm »
how can you sit there with a straight face saying $94K is affordable?

Compared to it's premium competition, it's affordable, and the best seller.

A mid range Mercedes SUV is similar in ownership cost to the Tesla you listed.
$90K + $5K in electricity vs $60K and $30K in gas over a 10 year stretch.  Pretty close.

The average price of the two cars in my driveway is pretty close to the average of any two other cars on my street.   Many have two $30K cars ($60K total) that cost thousands more to fuel per year, that's roughly the same to own and operate as the two cars in my driveway.

Affordable, according to the Toronto neighborhood I live in, absolutely.

With the 10 additional superchargers put up on the routes we drive, we won't be paying much to fuel it, that's for sure.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 14, 2017, 08:43:54 pm »

$90K + $5K in electricity vs $60K and $30K in gas over a 10 year stretch.  Pretty close.

The average price of the two cars in my driveway is pretty close to the average of any two other cars on my street.   Many have two $30K cars ($60K total) that cost thousands more to fuel per year, that's roughly the same to own and operate as the two cars in my driveway.

With the 10 additional superchargers put up on the routes we drive, we won't be paying much to fuel it, that's for sure.

Just because the car is affordable for 1%ers, it doesn't mean it's an affordable car.

The Tesla S is NOT an affordable car.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #171 on: December 15, 2017, 08:57:23 am »

Just because the car is affordable for 1%ers, it doesn't mean it's an affordable car.

:iagree:

Just did a quick search on Autotrader & the cheapest Tesla is a 4yr old Model S at $67k... with 78k kms on the odometer (http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Tesla/Model+S/Cowansville/Quebec/5_35616797_20130529131229896/?ursrc=hl&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=28_15_28). That's not reasonable at all for most people on a used car. I like a good deal & this is not a good deal at all! Comparison wise, my 2015 JGC cost me $20k less & had 1,200kms on the odometer, and lets say it costs me roughly $1450/yr to run ($100/month in fuel & $250/yr for oil change), so in 13.7yrs it will cost me $20k to run.... I'll probably get rid of it in 5yrs though, so $7,250 to run... long way away from the $20k difference in price.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 15, 2017, 09:13:34 am »

:iagree:

to argue anything to the contrary is just idiotic

plus any cost equations that require you to own a car for 300k kms or 10 years is a very poor and unrealistic proposition

now a $40k Model 3, that is in the reach of a lot more people

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 15, 2017, 05:55:32 pm »

But even that is still stretching the word "affordable".

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 15, 2017, 06:10:28 pm »

But even that is still stretching the word "affordable".

this is true, perhaps "more affordable" is appropriate

$40k is roughly loaded Accord or base model Audi territory - fits right in I guess where the Model 3 is trying to compete

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 15, 2017, 08:30:41 pm »

The base model 3 won’t be 40k in Canada. It’s going to be more like 47-48k. Since the base int is going to look like a Sentra nobody is going to buy that and most of them will be Awd so expect the average model 3 to be in the 60k dollars range. If you do buy a base model I am thinking you better drive that thing into the ground because it won’t be a good resale.

I am getting a base model, I don't need anything more than that. Maybe AWD, but that is it and depends on how much it is for the upgrade.

I should have said ~$40k RANGE for the base model.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 15, 2017, 10:26:00 pm »

The base model 3 won’t be 40k in Canada. It’s going to be more like 47-48k. Since the base int is going to look like a Sentra nobody is going to buy that and most of them will be Awd so expect the average model 3 to be in the 60k dollars range. If you do buy a base model I am thinking you better drive that thing into the ground because it won’t be a good resale.

I am getting a base model, I don't need anything more than that. Maybe AWD, but that is it and depends on how much it is for the upgrade.

Hopefully they will offer a radio as part of the base package lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #177 on: December 15, 2017, 10:35:49 pm »

BA DUM TSSS

:rofl2:
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 15, 2017, 10:40:58 pm »

I have seen on some build sheets that FM/streaming radio is standard.

If it is not, that is a very near deal breaker.

Online Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #179 on: December 21, 2017, 01:03:01 pm »
I know two guys with deposits on a Model 3, we'll see what happens.

Meanwhile, I'm finally getting my hands on a Bolt for a winter test next February. The Truth will be out there. In the cold.

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist