Author Topic: Apple Dropping Downloads? Say It Ain't So!  (Read 8058 times)

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
Apple Dropping Downloads? Say It Ain't So!
« on: May 21, 2016, 10:54:36 pm »
Would not surprise me if they do as it would fit into their business model better than downloads, but would be a really drag for me man.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/apple-streaming-downloads-music-1.3592328

Streaming music may be only option as report says Apple to dump downloads
Downloads peaked in 2012 and have been dropping fast, pop culture columnist says

Recent speculation that Apple will shut down its music download business within two years in favour of a streaming-only service has caused a bit of a flap among music downloaders and industry watchers.

Apple issued a quick denial, but rumours have been flying ever since, according to On The Coast pop culture columnist Kim Linekin.

She says one credible source claimed the move was being considered because it's "what Steve Jobs would've done."

"He had this policy of aggressively phasing out old technology while it was still making money so he could push the next big thing," she told On The Coast host Stephen Quinn. "If you milk the old stuff dry you run the risk of having too many competing, confusing products on the market at once."

Linekin says downloading peaked in 2012 and it's been dropping fast ever since in favour of streaming.

Adding to this, Apple users have complained the Apple Music streaming service overlaps in confusing ways, or even cannibalizes, the iTunes store, the iCloud music library and the iTunes Match service.

Apple Music is believed to be the number two music streaming service in the world, with 13 million subscribers, and since its parent company has the deep pockets to run the service at a loss for a while, it's well-positioned to keep gathering users and wait for streaming to become more lucrative.

Indie labels may also be at risk

But while streaming continues to grow, the business model has come under attack from some of the artists who provide the product itself because the amount of money going to the artists is too low.

Taylor Swift, Adele and Radiohead are examples, as is the now-departed Prince.

"According to [an] anonymous record executive, artists are better off staying independent than signing with anyone … so indie labels might disappear along with downloading," Linekin said.

2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Re: Apple Dropping Downloads? Say It Ain't So!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 01:28:11 am »
I am ahead of the times because I only use streaming...and I am thinking Apple is just going where the customers are going - or forcing them there :P

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 06:15:33 am »
It's all about the mighty DRM.  ;)

I'm sure they will do what the other services do. Allow you to download a large number of tracks from the streaming site to your device and as long as you keep subscribing, you will continue to have access to it.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 07:12:11 am »
I am ahead of the times because I only use streaming...and I am thinking Apple is just going where the customers are going - or forcing them there :P
I guess that only works if you have a large data plan and have cell service everywhere
I bet Trainman goes into areas without services
Good thing I am stuck in the pre 2000 era, I just use a 32 gig USB drive in the truck
BMW with the top down, you can not really here anything so no big deal

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 08:13:17 am »
A lot of streaming services allow you to download music from entire albums and playlists to individual songs. No large data plan required.

I've spent several thousand on downloaded music and can't say I'll miss them terribly. If I really like an album, I'll still buy the vinyl if available or digital album if that's the next available.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 08:15:05 am by DKaz »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12357
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 08:28:39 am »

I'm sure they will do what the other services do. Allow you to download a large number of tracks from the streaming site to your device and as long as you keep subscribing, you will continue to have access to it.

So instead of a one-time download fee, you have endless subscription fees in perpetuity?  I don't get what the benefit of streaming is in the first place, but I'm not the least bit techy - somebody clue me in.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 09:40:12 am »
I guess that only works if you have a large data plan and have cell service everywhere
I bet Trainman goes into areas without services
Good thing I am stuck in the pre 2000 era, I just use a 32 gig USB drive in the truck
BMW with the top down, you can not really here anything so no big deal

you are correct!...I have a 5gb, rarely use it all even streaming it daily. I have a USB stick as well for when I drive in areas without coverage - rarely happens because Rogers has very good service in MB

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 12:34:54 pm »
^ That service isn't going to last long with the sale of MTS.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 01:22:47 pm »

So instead of a one-time download fee, you have endless subscription fees in perpetuity?  I don't get what the benefit of streaming is in the first place, but I'm not the least bit techy - somebody clue me in.

Apple Music gives you unlimited access to their entire catalogue of songs (as in, everything on iTunes) via streaming, which is to say you just select a playlist or album or individual song and hit play. You can tag stuff you like and whatnot. I've been on the free trial for a month now (two more to go) and I'm really enjoying it, but there is something that bothers me about not being able to download. On the other hand, it's pretty awesome to simply have access to everything for the $9.99/mo fee.

I can see arguments for and against. Ultimately I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'll pay beyond the trial, but it's an interesting approach to music distribution.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 01:48:43 pm »
I mostly listen where there's no wifi access so i have no wish for streaming music. Artists need to develop a cooperative downloading/streaming service bypassing record companies and the others that take the majority of the profits from the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12357
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 01:49:28 pm »

Apple Music gives you unlimited access to their entire catalogue of songs (as in, everything on iTunes) via streaming, which is to say you just select a playlist or album or individual song and hit play. You can tag stuff you like and whatnot. I've been on the free trial for a month now (two more to go) and I'm really enjoying it, but there is something that bothers me about not being able to download. On the other hand, it's pretty awesome to simply have access to everything for the $9.99/mo fee.

I can see arguments for and against. Ultimately I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'll pay beyond the trial, but it's an interesting approach to music distribution.

Oh, okay - one monthly fee gets you everything, but the downside is that the moment you stop subscribing, you have nothing.  Kind of like a SiriusXM subscription.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 05:09:08 pm »

Oh, okay - one monthly fee gets you everything, but the downside is that the moment you stop subscribing, you have nothing. Kind of like a SiriusXM subscription.

Just like any subscription service. ;)

I'm a huge fan of streaming music, just not Apple's service. I can easily spend over $120/yr on new music and take a risk hoping that 1) I like it 2) like the entire album. With streaming I'm testing music to see if I like it and finding many new artist at the same time.

I just don't like the game some artists are playing where they will put their music on a specific service only.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 06:44:28 pm »
Google play music allows downloading albums to mobile devices... Handy for me since I've only got 2gb data

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 09:11:07 pm »
Think every major streaming service offers the ability to download. The only difference would be the number of devices per acct and max number of tracks.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 09:15:42 pm »
Artists need to develop a cooperative downloading/streaming service bypassing record companies and the others that take the majority of the profits from the work.

There's Tidal. It costs about $28 a month. $40 if you want lossless sound quality.

A lot of artists don't make it big without record companies. Making good music is only a portion of the battle, it doesn't matter if the song doesn't have listeners.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 09:16:31 pm »
Google play music allows downloading albums to mobile devices... Handy for me since I've only got 2gb data

So does Apple Music. Does anyone not listen to me?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 10:05:03 pm »

There's Tidal. It costs about $28 a month. $40 if you want lossless sound quality.

Wrong.

Lossless is $19.99 and 320 kbs is $9.99. All numbers CDN and include taxes.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2016, 10:07:12 pm »

So does Apple Music. Does anyone not listen to me?

All major services do. Does anybody not listen to me? [emoji1]

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2016, 11:30:42 pm »

Wrong.

We're both wrong.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 07:16:09 am »

Wrong.

We're both wrong.

Nope, I'm right. Where are you getting those numbers from? I have been subscribing to TIDAL for over a year and only pay $9.99 for 320 kbs service. I don't feel that the lossless service is worth the extra but it is $19.99.

This is what I see when I go to TIDAL.