Author Topic: VW's gonna VW.  (Read 48017 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
Re: VW's gonna VW.
« Reply #300 on: January 21, 2024, 04:35:19 pm »
Does VW still think their OEM coolant is made with unicorn tears?

Stuff used to be about $20 a liter.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 04:37:59 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #301 on: January 21, 2024, 05:27:41 pm »
Does VW still think their OEM coolant is made with unicorn tears?

Stuff used to be about $20 a liter.

I don't know what it is these days, but it would be crazy to be anywhere near that.

I know a gallon of BMW concentrate is $26+tax.

EDIT: You made me curious and looked it up: $28/gallon, pre-mix
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 07:41:15 pm by Dante »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #302 on: January 21, 2024, 06:03:37 pm »
Ye olde G-12?

Husky gave me a couple litres of OE premix coolant  (MSRP $25/L)  :rofl2:

Typically I just use a SF formula that the Land Rover requires in the bikes. For that it is concentrated Beck Arnley.

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-39
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #303 on: January 21, 2024, 10:38:21 pm »
, but the leakage if any has not caused the coolant to leak onto the floor below where the vehicle is parked.

Because it's being caught by the underway.

Also hard these days to know if a car is leaking oil because of the same reasons.
As I mentioned in my previous post, the reservoir was topped up last week at the VW dealer and the regular service is due in April which will be done at the dealer. So if by then the coolant level has dropped significantly I will insist on a check for leaks.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 16, 2024, 09:46:09 pm »
Took a brief look at a Golf R in the showroom today.
In my appreciation it definitely feels cheaper than MK7. I can probably list at least half dozen things that VW cheappnd out on the interior details compared to MK7. This is not to say there aren't better things too. For one, the leather feels nice and the seats are nice too.

Will have some more time tomorrow to check out all the models as it seems like they finally have a stocked up showroom now.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 16, 2024, 11:44:53 pm »
In my appreciation it definitely feels cheaper than MK7. I can probably list at least half dozen things that VW cheappnd out on the interior details compared to MK7. This is not to say there aren't better things too. For one, the leather feels nice and the seats are nice too.

Will have some more time tomorrow to check out all the models as it seems like they finally have a stocked up showroom now.

I think the MK7 interior is nicer in that it has physical controls. The lack of physical controls makes the MK8 feel cheaper IMO.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #306 on: February 17, 2024, 11:21:33 am »

I think the MK7 interior is nicer in that it has physical controls. The lack of physical controls makes the MK8 feel cheaper IMO.

You know I think I will avoid cars from here on out that don't provide physical controls. So the MK7 is on the list and the Mk8 is not.  ;)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 17, 2024, 01:31:11 pm »
It's not only the buttons and screens which I personally dislike, but there are other little things which are gone...
- no more sunglass holder - the salesman said they got rid of it because it was breaking all the time...  :rofl:
- cubby on the left side of the steering column is gone
- no more felt lined, lockable glove box (this was gone since  MK7.5) - salesman said again that the locks were breaking and this is why ...  :rofl:
- no more ss/illuminated scuff plates anywhere
- no more fabric A pillar cover
- no more inserts on the rear doors (they look cheap with no accents of any kind)
- virtually no bright accents to break down the sea of dark grey plastic
- while the center armrest is still adjustable, it's harder to adjust
- the cubby at the bottom of the center console doesn't have a cover anymore

On the bright side, the cloth seats in the GTI Autobahn are still nice and the steering wheel is perhaps nicer and thicker. The trunk is still good and the adjustable floor is still there as is the pass through which I very much like.
One other positive in my books is that you can get the GTI Autobahn WITHOUT a sunroof (optional).

One neat feature I found is the wheel caps which are floating so the badge is a always horizontal when the car is stopped. Not sure if those are stock or dealer installed accessory but they are interesting anyway.

All in all, probably a better car mechanically, more tech which I don't care for or dislike, but definitely lesser grade interior which I do care about.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 17, 2024, 08:01:54 pm »
You will need to drive it at night with the on cabin illumination.  That is actually impressive.

One thing the 8R has over the 7 and 7.5 relates to performance.  It is a magnitude quicker and has better braking.  The rear diff from the RS3 is a significant upgrade.  The modes are more involving and far more customizable.  The headlights are a big improvement.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 17, 2024, 08:17:00 pm »
As I said, I have no doubts it's a better car mechanically.
Just not a step up on interior grade IMO.
Before GTI I had a Focus with a gazillion ambient colors. I much preferred the subtle ambient lighting in the GTI. Just the right amount without being cheesy.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 17, 2024, 08:44:58 pm »
As I said, I have no doubts it's a better car mechanically.
Just not a step up on interior grade IMO.
Before GTI I had a Focus with a gazillion ambient colors. I much preferred the subtle ambient lighting in the GTI. Just the right amount without being cheesy.

Yeah even Audi has downgraded their interiors as of late.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #311 on: February 18, 2024, 08:53:16 am »
You will need to drive it at night with the on cabin illumination.  That is actually impressive.

One thing the 8R has over the 7 and 7.5 relates to performance.  It is a magnitude quicker and has better braking.  The rear diff from the RS3 is a significant upgrade.  The modes are more involving and far more customizable.  The headlights are a big improvement.
I always felt the headlights on my MK7 R were excellent, leveling, turns, and my favourite feature was the washers when you use the windshield washer fluid spray it also would spray the headlights, really fantastic in winter when they have salt and grim covering them.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 18, 2024, 10:02:22 am »

I always felt the headlights on my MK7 R were excellent, leveling, turns, and my favourite feature was the washers when you use the windshield washer fluid spray it also would spray the headlights, really fantastic in winter when they have salt and grim covering them.

Hoping that we eventually get the matrix lights like they offer in Europe.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 14, 2024, 09:38:11 pm »
In case you didn't catch this in the news few weeks ago, there is a significant and current problem courtesy of VW....

The fuel tanks on MK7 Golf, GTI, SportWagen, Jetta, A3 contain a faulty part - "suction jet pump". When this part fails, you won't be able to fill up the tank. The pump will frequently kick back after pumping few litters of gas like the tank is full. You also hear a gurgling noise coming out of the tank and eventually smell gas around the car. This is not new or unique to VW - I've seen videos and posts for similar issue for other brands, but this is something happening on many VWs now.

VW had an early recall on some GTI/R in US and Canada where they replaced the fuel tank. Some time ago they extended the warranty for this issue to 15 years /242K km (my case). However, there is a new recall that just came out end of Feb for the same issue. The recall is not yet effective so the dealers are not acting on it, but rather do the repair under the extended warranty. According to some owners, the culprit is a $30 part which you can order from the dealer and it's replaceable, but as per service procedure, the dealers are replacing the whole tank at the moment.

Nothing unusual so far. However, when this part fails, it automatically takes with it the Evap Charcoal Canister as the canister fills up with gas which destroys the filter inside. This part is NOT covered under extended warranty, so you have no choice but to replace it out of pocket to the tune of over $1,800 in parts/labor/tax. The part itself is $1,400+tax.

I was talking to the service manager at my dealership and he said that on every single one out of many they fixed, had to replace the charcoal canister as there is no way to avoid getting gas in it when the suction pump fails. The rhetorical question is, and I don't expect Patrick to answer ;D, why doesn't VW cover this part as well right of the bat?

Sure, people got eventually reimbursed for it, but you can imagine the hassle and waste of time associated with it... I'm bracing for it as I will probably kick off the process next week.... :banghead:

« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 09:47:38 pm by Dante »

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 14, 2024, 10:08:55 pm »
In case you didn't catch this in the news few weeks ago, there is a significant and current problem courtesy of VW....

The fuel tanks on MK7 Golf, GTI, SportWagen, Jetta, A3 contain a faulty part - "suction jet pump". When this part fails, you won't be able to fill up the tank. The pump will frequently kick back after pumping few litters of gas like the tank is full. You also hear a gurgling noise coming out of the tank and eventually smell gas around the car. This is not new or unique to VW - I've seen videos and posts for similar issue for other brands, but this is something happening on many VWs now.

VW had an early recall on some GTI/R in US and Canada where they replaced the fuel tank. Some time ago they extended the warranty for this issue to 15 years /242K km (my case). However, there is a new recall that just came out end of Feb for the same issue. The recall is not yet effective so the dealers are not acting on it, but rather do the repair under the extended warranty. According to some owners, the culprit is a $30 part which you can order from the dealer and it's replaceable, but as per service procedure, the dealers are replacing the whole tank at the moment.

Nothing unusual so far. However, when this part fails, it automatically takes with it the Evap Charcoal Canister as the canister fills up with gas which destroys the filter inside. This part is NOT covered under extended warranty, so you have no choice but to replace it out of pocket to the tune of over $1,800 in parts/labor/tax. The part itself is $1,400+tax.

I was talking to the service manager at my dealership and he said that on every single one out of many they fixed, had to replace the charcoal canister as there is no way to avoid getting gas in it when the suction pump fails. The rhetorical question is, and I don't expect Patrick to answer ;D, why doesn't VW cover this part as well right of the bat?

Sure, people got eventually reimbursed for it, but you can imagine the hassle and waste of time associated with it... I'm bracing for it as I will probably kick off the process next week.... :banghead:

I have always liked VWs, and we have had several in our family, but stuff like this really makes it hard to want to own one of these cars long-term. My sister has a 2016 Golf so this must be included in the recall I take it? I will have to see if she has received any notices about this.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: March 14, 2024, 10:51:27 pm »
TDI FTW!
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 14, 2024, 11:19:50 pm »

I have always liked VWs, and we have had several in our family, but stuff like this really makes it hard to want to own one of these cars long-term. My sister has a 2016 Golf so this must be included in the recall I take it? I will have to see if she has received any notices about this.

2015-2020 models are in the recall. Letters are not out yet, but I suggest she takes it in as soon as possible to avoid failure and salvage the charcoal canister.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #317 on: March 15, 2024, 08:18:09 am »
TDI FTW!

Not many left, and they have their own set of costly issues.

My ex-A3 would have fallen under the same fuel tank problem.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #318 on: March 15, 2024, 09:02:39 am »
Not covering the part destroyed by failure of the warrantied part is pretty sleazy.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #319 on: March 15, 2024, 09:13:14 am »
Not covering the part destroyed by failure of the warrantied part is pretty sleazy.

Refer to the thread's title  ;D