Author Topic: VW's gonna VW.  (Read 48012 times)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
Re: VW's gonna VW.
« Reply #280 on: January 11, 2024, 08:49:37 am »
Yeah. I assume so.

I've ridden in a new Rav4 hybrid Uber and was surprised how cheap it felt in the back seat and how noisy it was.

And I'm sure none of them are that powerful.  So it's probably a wash.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #281 on: January 11, 2024, 09:29:35 am »
The stepdaughters first gen Tiguan was really nice inside and out. Drove well too. Controls were fine, but in a VW way, so a few things were different enough I had to look them up

The new gen we rented a few years ago was huge in comparison, handled well and was comfortable but had a terribly cheap Dodge Caravan type interior, complete with a buzz deep in the dash

From what I understand they've improved the interior since then

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #282 on: January 11, 2024, 09:32:53 am »
Aren't most of its competitors also meh to anybody that enjoys driving.
Oh for sure, CUV's in general all kind of suck, but I felt the VW's sucked harder.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #283 on: January 11, 2024, 09:36:26 am »
The stepdaughters first gen Tiguan was really nice inside and out. Drove well too. Controls were fine, but in a VW way, so a few things were different enough I had to look them up

The new gen we rented a few years ago was huge in comparison, handled well and was comfortable but had a terribly cheap Dodge Caravan type interior, complete with a buzz deep in the dash

The first generation Tiguan was actually a very nice classic VW/German feeling product.  These new just seem like a dodge with lipstick on (in a bad way).

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #284 on: January 11, 2024, 09:40:35 am »
I do like VW interiors though. They have great ergonomics and are easy to use. Will, at least they used to be.

VW is even removing the stick from European Golfs but, hey! - they're including ChatGPT in the infotainment. Seriously.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #285 on: January 11, 2024, 09:50:34 am »

The first generation Tiguan was actually a very nice classic VW/German feeling product.  These new just seem like a dodge with lipstick on (in a bad way).

You know, not far off. We were given a Journey the previous year, and it was about the same plus size. It did handle worse, but had a better interior and a probably the best infotainment system I've used

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 11, 2024, 10:21:08 am »
Aren't most of its competitors also meh to anybody that enjoys driving.
Oh for sure, CUV's in general all kind of suck, but I felt the VW's sucked harder.
Lots of the reviews were that way too
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #287 on: January 11, 2024, 07:15:22 pm »
Yeah. I assume so.

I've ridden in a new Rav4 hybrid Uber and was surprised how cheap it felt in the back seat and how noisy it was.

RAVs have always been like that.  The only good ones were the V6 slip and grip "AWD" units.  But the interiors have always been really low rent plastic and noisy.  RAV buyers are 100% value seekers.  Usually on some sort of government sourced payroll.  ;D

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 12, 2024, 07:08:59 pm »
Yeah. I assume so.

RAVs have always been like that.  The only good ones were the V6 slip and grip "AWD" units.  But the interiors have always been really low rent plastic and noisy.  RAV buyers are 100% value seekers.  Usually on some sort of government sourced payroll.  ;D

Those old V6 RAVs were pretty quick at the time.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #289 on: January 12, 2024, 07:29:27 pm »
I do like VW interiors though. They have great ergonomics and are easy to use. Will, at least they used to be.

VW is even removing the stick from European Golfs but, hey! - they're including ChatGPT in the infotainment. Seriously.

European's taste has been shifting to automatics for years so no surprise at all. Same for diesels. Small turbo petrol engines are all the rage.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 07:31:40 pm by Dante »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 12, 2024, 07:38:23 pm »
Yeah. I assume so.

Those old V6 RAVs were pretty quick at the time.
Was the fastest vehicle Toyota sold for a couple of years IIRC...

0-60 in about 6 seconds flat

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-39
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #291 on: January 20, 2024, 08:19:49 am »
So the GTI sprung a low coolant warning light a few days ago, it has only ~16,000 km on the odometer. In service date with me April 21, just under 3 years so it's under a comprehensive warranty. The balloon shaped coolant reservoir has a minimum level mark which is about halfway down, just under the widest middle part and the coolant level was in the bottom quartile. No increase in either coolant or oil temperature and the light came on only during cold starts, not during an engine restart when warm. The VW dealer suggested topping up the coolant by going through their drive through reception area which I did and the warning light has gone. The question is how common is this? I have never had any vehicle so far go through coolant such that a warning light is triggered. Online forums suggest a long standing problem with the plastic heavy design of the water pump going back at least to the Mk 6 GTI, maybe earlier,  and a potential leakage there, but the leakage if any has not caused the coolant to leak onto the floor below where the vehicle is parked. Kind of reinforces my belief in only leasing VWs within their 4 year/80,000 km warranty period.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 20, 2024, 09:42:13 am »
I had to top up the coolant twice on my Golf.  The first time was pretty early, around where you had to do it.

The second time was more recently, they figured that the reservoir cap wasn't venting.  A new cap seems to have fixed it.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 20, 2024, 10:53:49 am »
So the GTI sprung a low coolant warning light a few days ago, it has only ~16,000 km on the odometer. In service date with me April 21, just under 3 years so it's under a comprehensive warranty. The balloon shaped coolant reservoir has a minimum level mark which is about halfway down, just under the widest middle part and the coolant level was in the bottom quartile. No increase in either coolant or oil temperature and the light came on only during cold starts, not during an engine restart when warm. The VW dealer suggested topping up the coolant by going through their drive through reception area which I did and the warning light has gone. The question is how common is this? I have never had any vehicle so far go through coolant such that a warning light is triggered. Online forums suggest a long standing problem with the plastic heavy design of the water pump going back at least to the Mk 6 GTI, maybe earlier,  and a potential leakage there, but the leakage if any has not caused the coolant to leak onto the floor below where the vehicle is parked. Kind of reinforces my belief in only leasing VWs within their 4 year/80,000 km warranty period.

My sister's Mk7 Golf had a slight coolant leak from the thermostat housing. It was repaired by VW under warranty. No issues since.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 21, 2024, 12:44:48 pm »

Yes, it has been a thing with some MK7 and 7.5's.  However, once fixed, it doesn't appear to return.

This is a leak and not a head gasket issue so no biggie, IMHO.  Nothing like Honda's 1.5T oil dilution issue, for example.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 21, 2024, 01:17:10 pm »
This is the one known issue on MK7 GTI and probably on other Golfs.
The plastic thermostat housing bolted onto the water pump could lead to coolant leaks.
If my memory serves me well, I think I have a letter from VW about extended warranty on it.
Good videos/write ups on the issue from FCP Euro and DAP which know these cars well.
Parts are not expensive (about $275 from RA for the INA kit) but not an easy (for me) DIY.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 21, 2024, 02:08:28 pm »
This is the one known issue on MK7 GTI and probably on other Golfs.
The plastic thermostat housing bolted onto the water pump could lead to coolant leaks.
If my memory serves me well, I think I have a letter from VW about extended warranty on it.
Good videos/write ups on the issue from FCP Euro and DAP which know these cars well.
Parts are not expensive (about $275 from RA for the INA kit) but not an easy (for me) DIY.

VW's are notorious for water pump issues. Earlier models used a plastic impeller that would fail early causing overheating. Now again on Mk7s, as you point out, plastic housing causing issues. Brilliant choice of materials  ::)

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 21, 2024, 02:10:15 pm »

Yes, it has been a thing with some MK7 and 7.5's.  However, once fixed, it doesn't appear to return.

This is a leak and not a head gasket issue so no biggie, IMHO.  Nothing like Honda's 1.5T oil dilution issue, for example.

1.5Ts also appear to like going through head gaskets. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft poll. 2.0T all the way or stick to the base 2.0 if you can (like in lower trims of the Civic).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=age8_Mi5sEU&t=212s

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 21, 2024, 03:08:51 pm »
, but the leakage if any has not caused the coolant to leak onto the floor below where the vehicle is parked.

Because it's being caught by the underway.

Also hard these days to know if a car is leaking oil because of the same reasons.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 21, 2024, 03:38:57 pm »
, but the leakage if any has not caused the coolant to leak onto the floor below where the vehicle is parked.

Because it's being caught by the underway.

Also hard these days to know if a car is leaking oil because of the same reasons.

That's right, plus it starts with a slow leak, the water pump and thermostat are buried at the bottom of the engine, hot bay, so it either evaporates or drips onto other parts below, undercarriage trim, etc.

Probably the only way to find evidence is to look for residue. Good thing is, unlike BMW, they use a white coolant tank and it's easy to see if the coolant level is dropping.