Author Topic: Been driving illegally for 7 months before being notified  (Read 797 times)

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
Been driving illegally for 7 months before being notified
« on: March 19, 2024, 04:49:11 pm »
I always pay my bills (well apparently almost always). I usually pay them the day I get them.

I mistakenly missed paying the Car registration fee for our Fiat. It was due August 2023. My bad :-[. I have no idea how I overlooked this payment. We have technically been driving the car illegally since then. For 7 months!!!!

Get this.  It took till 14 March 2024 for the SAAQ (License bureau of Quebec) to write us advising us that payment was not received. In the letter they advise us to stop operating the car as of August 2023.

I fully admit I really screwed this one up. But it is pretty sad when it takes 7 months to send out a notice of an overdue payment. Another example of a well oiled machine run by the government.

If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
Re: Been driving illegally for 7 months before being notified
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 05:15:14 pm »
In the letter they advise us to stop operating the car as of August 2023.

That's the best part  :rofl2:

I'm sure this happens more often than we think.  Glad you weren't in an accident during that time.  How does Quebec work, is registration and insurance paid separately?  So would have you had coverage if the registration wasn't paid?
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 05:37:04 pm »
You better fire up the Delorean and go back in time to pay that, at least that’s what that letter seems to imply.

I agree that it’s sad that it took them this long, you’d think it was automated.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1157
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 05:41:41 pm »
SAAQ is pretty screwed up since they went with this new software system. Same happened to my wife, but for her driver licence. She got an e-mail reminder like 4 months later.  :P

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2024, 06:44:17 pm »
I had applied to a govt job.

I received an email from the govt on March 18 saying they needed additional into and to just go on my online application and update. Not doing so could prevent me from being considered.

The only problem is the job application process closed on the 15th....So you can no longer access/edit the online application.

And they probably way overpaid for this online application system.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2024, 06:46:27 pm »
That sux  :(
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2024, 06:52:17 pm »
That sux  :(
Have an appointment at my MPs to complain and blame them for me being an unemployed bum! LOL [emoji38]

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2024, 06:55:45 pm »
If you had the ability to fix Phoenix, you may have a chance to be hire on the spot!  :pimp:

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2024, 09:33:42 pm »
Alberta does not send out any reminders. Been like this for a few years now. Couple of years ago they even stopped issuing yearly decals for the plate.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-39
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2024, 12:59:26 am »
You should advise the Quebec Government to follow Ontario's example which scrapped the $120 annual fee in 2022. So no annual registration fee, no decal and now automatic plate renewal by the Province!! Unless, that is, you have outstanding fines, tickets, etc..... The GLI and GH have no decals on their new plates.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10291197/ontario-eliminating-licence-plate-registration/

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12355
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2024, 07:02:12 am »
In the letter they advise us to stop operating the car as of August 2023.

That's the best part  :rofl2:

:rofl: :rofl2:
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2024, 07:10:30 am »
I had applied to a govt job.

I received an email from the govt on March 18 saying they needed additional into and to just go on my online application and update. Not doing so could prevent me from being considered.

The only problem is the job application process closed on the 15th....So you can no longer access/edit the online application.

And they probably way overpaid for this online application system.
Could it be that you needed to update your "profile" and not the actual application for the job?  I know some websites have you do this online profile with a bunch of your info and from that you can just attach it to a job posting. 

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1157
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2024, 08:13:33 am »
You should advise the Quebec Government to follow Ontario's example which scrapped the $120 annual fee in 2022. So no annual registration fee, no decal and now automatic plate renewal by the Province!! Unless, that is, you have outstanding fines, tickets, etc..... The GLI and GH have no decals on their new plates.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10291197/ontario-eliminating-licence-plate-registration/

I did but they sent me take a hike!  :rofl2:

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2024, 10:27:16 am »
Alberta does not send out any reminders. Been like this for a few years now. Couple of years ago they even stopped issuing yearly decals for the plate.

yup.  wife and i have different last name, so we have to go renew twice a year, and i can never remember when plates/registration expire since we stopped getting reminder and NO STICKERS.....

i've driven technically unregistered car for months at a time ...  never more than 6 months, but still.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2024, 11:06:25 am »

yup.  wife and i have different last name, so we have to go renew twice a year, and i can never remember when plates/registration expire since we stopped getting reminder and NO STICKERS.....

i've driven technically unregistered car for months at a time ...  never more than 6 months, but still.

Pro tip. All private registries in Alberta will track and send you a reminder. A couple clicks and 10 seconds of your time will have it done. I currently have 5 registrations. No more than 1 minute lol.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2024, 11:18:21 am »

Pro tip. All private registries in Alberta will track and send you a reminder. A couple clicks and 10 seconds of your time will have it done. I currently have 5 registrations. No more than 1 minute lol.

Or better yet, just have it set up to auto renew. AMA sends me a reminder ahead and then the registration just renews itself. The lack of stickers now makes it easy.

Still remember getting a ticket when my registration ran out on holiday, didn't realize and got myself a $300 fine when I drove my truck a few blocks to get groceries

Offline erich

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-125
    • View Profile
  • Cars: current: 2023 Genesis G70 2.0t,2019 Infiniti QX50, previous:2017 Subaru Legacy, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2012 Genesis Coupe 2.0T, 2010 Subaru Forrester, 2004 Honda Civic, 2000 SAAB 9-3, 2000 Dodge Caravan, 2000 VW Golf, 1996 Suzuki Baleno, 1990 Subary Justy 1.0GL
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2024, 04:16:37 pm »

Or better yet, just have it set up to auto renew. AMA sends me a reminder ahead and then the registration just renews itself. The lack of stickers now makes it easy.

Still remember getting a ticket when my registration ran out on holiday, didn't realize and got myself a $300 fine when I drove my truck a few blocks to get groceries

Sounds like a win-win situation: First they save on postage not sending out the papers and then they get additional income from fines. The Alberta advantage!

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2024, 04:20:30 pm »
No stickers in Quebec. I cannot believe that I did not get a ticket with cops using plate scanning technology.

The letter said that payment may be subject to late fees but stated no amount other than the original amount. I just paid that right away and hope for the best.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2024, 04:20:41 pm »
No option to get an email reminder? Even NB offers that.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2024, 06:18:43 pm »

Sounds like a win-win situation: First they save on postage not sending out the papers and then they get additional income from fines. The Alberta advantage!

It is. We don't need the nanny state to hold people's hands. If one cannot keep track of their registration then they really should be on the bus.