Author Topic: Ford Lease End No Trade Rule!  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +52/-182
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
  • Cars: 2019 Audi RS3, 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, 2014 Mazda 3 GX
Ford Lease End No Trade Rule!
« on: December 23, 2023, 06:56:40 pm »
Hi gang, my wife's F-150 lease is coming to an end mid-March.  It is an F-150 V6 FX4 Sport Ecoboost Lariat with a sunroof with only 50,000 kms, so pretty high spec with a buyout of only $39,000.  We like the truck but would consider getting into an SUV hybrid since we do not use any truck capabilities other than plowing through Newfoundland winters. There looks to be some solid equity in the truck so we went to a non-Ford dealership looking at SUVs but they said in the last 90 days of the lease Ford will not allow you to trade in your leased vehicle at any other dealership, they basically have a monopoly on lease returns. Seems like our only option might be to trade on an Explorer if we can get some equity out of it but of course the Ford dealer just wants us to return the truck so they can sell it for $55,000 and get us to buy a new vehicle, which will not happen. When we asked about our options they didn't mention anything about trading the truck it was just return and buy new. 

All that being said, has anyone had a Ford near lease end and traded their vehicle with equity into a new Ford vehicle, or is it just either buy out or return? There is no way we can just give the truck back with a $39,000 buy out.

Thanks everyone!

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
Re: Ford Lease End No Trade Rule!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2023, 07:25:12 pm »
How hard would it be to sell it privately? Sell it & buy out the lease, perhaps? I know ArticSteve has leased with Ford, so hopefully, he chimes in for you. If not, consider sending him a PM.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2023, 08:54:19 pm »
Just get an open loan from a bank and buy it out early and then you can trade it in where ever and when ever you want.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2023, 10:05:48 pm »
Just get an open loan from a bank and buy it out early and then you can trade it in where ever and when ever you want.
Yea, a bridging loan.

I'd want to establish my trade in value before doing this just to be sure no negative equity.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2023, 01:37:45 am »
How hard would it be to sell it privately? Sell it & buy out the lease, perhaps? I know ArticSteve has leased with Ford, so hopefully, he chimes in for you. If not, consider sending him a PM.

Of the D3, Ford offers some pretty sweet lease deals, but there is a dark side to it all.  I don't have my lease agreement available this week, but I thought it was the 120 day rule.  Whether it's 120 or 90 days, it's pretty sneaky because Lessees tend not to read the fine print on the leases. 

My lease, "Red Carpet", some dumb name like that, allows for early buy out prior to 120 days of lease end or at lease end, but not in between.  Within that 120 days, I as the Lessee can not assign the vehicle to a third party for them to pay out the lease if I was looking to lease or buy another brand other than Ford.

So if you find yourself in this position you can go ahead and buyout the lease at lease end, pay the sales tax, and then shop the vehicle around to any vehicle retailer you want.

The problem with selling privately is that you would lose the 15% sales tax credit stored in the vehicle. 

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2023, 07:36:29 am »

Of the D3, Ford offers some pretty sweet lease deals, but there is a dark side to it all.  I don't have my lease agreement available this week, but I thought it was the 120 day rule.  Whether it's 120 or 90 days, it's pretty sneaky because Lessees tend not to read the fine print on the leases. 

My lease, "Red Carpet", some dumb name like that, allows for early buy out prior to 120 days of lease end or at lease end, but not in between.  Within that 120 days, I as the Lessee can not assign the vehicle to a third party for them to pay out the lease if I was looking to lease or buy another brand other than Ford.

So if you find yourself in this position you can go ahead and buyout the lease at lease end, pay the sales tax, and then shop the vehicle around to any vehicle retailer you want.

The problem with selling privately is that you would lose the 15% sales tax credit stored in the vehicle.

Thanks Steve, yes this seems to be the position we are in, I wasn't looking forward to the private sale option for that very reason. Oh well I guess we will just buy it out at lease end and then shop around for a good trade. 

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2023, 07:37:23 am »
Yea, a bridging loan.

I'd want to establish my trade in value before doing this just to be sure no negative equity.

Yes we will definitely do that, thanks for the tip.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2023, 11:18:55 am »
Thanks Steve, yes this seems to be the position we are in, I wasn't looking forward to the private sale option for that very reason. Oh well I guess we will just buy it out at lease end and then shop around for a good trade. 

I would start shopping right now if you're looking for a hybrid type vehicle. Take the truck with you so whomever can appraise it and explain the situation.  You actually might be waiting awhile so getting stuck with the truck might be a blessing unless you already have multiple vehicles to use.  Say you want to finance it, roughly $45K x times 7.5%  divided by 12.  Less than $300 a month to carry.   

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2023, 03:07:19 pm »

I would start shopping right now if you're looking for a hybrid type vehicle. Take the truck with you so whomever can appraise it and explain the situation.  You actually might be waiting awhile so getting stuck with the truck might be a blessing unless you already have multiple vehicles to use.  Say you want to finance it, roughly $45K x times 7.5%  divided by 12.  Less than $300 a month to carry.

Hi Steve, how do you come up with the $300 a month?  Thanks again for the advice.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2023, 10:49:55 am »
7.5% interest rate on $45k loan. Just under $300/month to carry interest only payments. No principal payment.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2023, 01:13:33 pm »
Sorry Hammy, I did not see your post.  Answered by KTM.

My Royal Bank Heloc is currently 7.2%.   There is a lease buy out fee.  Thinking $300 minimum.

Good news is that all that HST stored in that F150, if you do buy it out, can be applied to the HST on the next lease.

I just noticed in my Acura lease contract that Honda Credit want $600 to facilitate a lease buyout after the 40 months.  The gouging is getting obnoxious.

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2024, 12:26:47 pm »
Sorry Hammy, I did not see your post.  Answered by KTM.

My Royal Bank Heloc is currently 7.2%.   There is a lease buy out fee.  Thinking $300 minimum.

Good news is that all that HST stored in that F150, if you do buy it out, can be applied to the HST on the next lease.

I just noticed in my Acura lease contract that Honda Credit want $600 to facilitate a lease buyout after the 40 months.  The gouging is getting obnoxious.

Thanks, I'll have to look into the interest only loan option. In the meanwhile Ford are offering us $46,000 in trade which basically not surprisingly covers the total buyout including tax but gives us $6,900 in tax savings towards a lease basically covering all the tax on any 3 year lease. It's nice to have almost $7,000 in usable equity at the end of a 3 year lease!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2024, 01:32:56 pm »
Ya, it's nice for a change.  Takes the sting away.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2024, 05:50:58 pm »

No you don't. I always get my taxes back - well, the 9.975% provincial tax anyway on private sales, by rolling it on the new car contract (ie sale between privates through the new car contract - the buyer "buys from the dealership" and not the seller. It's a legal tax loophole and I've never had a dealer say no to that.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2024, 06:12:47 pm »
That's nothing new in Ontario.  It's called a convenience trade.  However, some private buyers do not want to participate and some dealers don't either. 

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2024, 06:38:36 pm »
That's nothing new in Ontario.  It's called a convenience trade.  However, some private buyers do not want to participate and some dealers don't either.

Same here, usually the dealer you are buying from will facilitate if you have a third party buyer for the vehicle you are selling.

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2024, 02:04:56 pm »

Same here, usually the dealer you are buying from will facilitate if you have a third party buyer for the vehicle you are selling.

It’s done here all the time. My current sales even offered it without me asking.