Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 2923603 times)

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #2280 on: April 18, 2014, 03:10:21 pm »
Winter tire swap done. 

I noticed some side to side wiggle with the wheel, on the front driver's side, when the car was jacked up. Did a few light tugs on some suspension/steering components, and yep, something is loose (not sure what the part is called).  :(

I'll be heading to my mechanic tomorrow for a complete suspension check.

Also the TSX is starting to develop some cancer on its rear wheel wells.  :( Not bad considering it has never been rust proofed. I'll be doing some sanding and touching up this weekend.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 03:17:44 pm by 1TSX »

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: April 18, 2014, 03:35:25 pm »
At that mileage you might be due for some new suspension bits anyway.

How long you plan on keeping it?
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #2282 on: April 18, 2014, 03:48:10 pm »
Winter tire swap done. 

I noticed some side to side wiggle with the wheel, on the front driver's side, when the car was jacked up. Did a few light tugs on some suspension/steering components, and yep, something is loose (not sure what the part is called).  :(

Also the TSX is starting to develop some cancer on its rear wheel wells.  :( Not bad considering it has never been rust proofed. I'll be doing some sanding and touching up this weekend.

Hmm your in the GTA.... how much for a little spot I got on the Odyssey?

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: April 18, 2014, 04:31:59 pm »
At that mileage you might be due for some new suspension bits anyway.

How long you plan on keeping it?

I had the rear endlinks and front ball joints done a few years ago (@ 150K). Car is at 219K now. Its going to be passed down to my sister so I'll keep it in good shape. :)

Winter tire swap done. 

Hmm your in the GTA.... how much for a little spot I got on the Odyssey?

A case of Amsterdam Blonde?  ;D

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #2284 on: April 18, 2014, 06:47:24 pm »
Loaded my car in the trailer today, then took it out, then put it back in.  Then moved the belts took the seat out.. should have done that work outside the trailer what a pita!  Then I started it and let it warm up.  Then went in the house lol.

Ready to go for the track day next week!

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2285 on: April 18, 2014, 07:00:36 pm »
Got the tires and springs, just waiting for the wheels now, should be here on Mon/Tues.  Oh and some clear side indicator lenses.

Everything installed next week hopefully.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: April 18, 2014, 07:03:33 pm »
Loaded my car in the trailer today, then took it out, then put it back in.  Then moved the belts took the seat out.. should have done that work outside the trailer what a pita!  Then I started it and let it warm up.  Then went in the house lol.

Ready to go for the track day next week!

April 25th test and tune?  I'd come to watch, but I'm away from Thursday on.
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: April 18, 2014, 07:04:45 pm »
Got the tires and springs, just waiting for the wheels now, should be here on Mon/Tues.  Oh and some clear side indicator lenses.

Everything installed next week hopefully.

Eager to see what you chose for rims and tires.  What springs did you get?  Are you installing yourself?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #2288 on: April 18, 2014, 07:11:55 pm »
Yup test and tune April 25th!  I need to the the Driver

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: April 18, 2014, 08:05:40 pm »
Changed the lower control arms and the diff/tranny fluid on the 911.  Lower control arms from Porsche were $$$$.  Aftermarket? $90 ea.  Owner threw in the Motul gear lube.  Autoworks1 in Georgia did the work today..on Good Friday.  Total for changing out 2 control arms, 4 wheel alignment, tranny/gear fluid swap and roadtest x2 = $270 US.   Car is ready for the ~12 ride home this week!

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #2290 on: April 18, 2014, 08:17:07 pm »
Changed the lower control arms and the diff/tranny fluid on the 911.  Lower control arms from Porsche were $$$$.  Aftermarket? $90 ea.  Owner threw in the Motul gear lube.  Autoworks1 in Georgia did the work today..on Good Friday.  Total for changing out 2 control arms, 4 wheel alignment, tranny/gear fluid swap and roadtest x2 = $270 US.   Car is ready for the ~12 ride home this week!

Be a fun ride home I'm sure... :skid: 

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: April 18, 2014, 08:20:53 pm »

:o  Great price!  I paid $100 just for 4L of Motul Gear 300 and spent an hour changing it!

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #2292 on: April 18, 2014, 08:54:16 pm »

:fiver:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #2293 on: April 19, 2014, 12:45:42 am »

Good stuff!! I am so jealous of that drive.

I spent most of the day working on the paint on the Firebird using a high speed buffer (cheap Simoniz one), rubbing compound and a few stages of polish/wax. It wasn't horrible to start, but it had a lot of fine clear coat scratches and general abuse from the winter.
Keep in mind this is 18 year old paint that's been winter driven and parked outside all it's life:

Yes, it's still on ugly winter wheels :( I need to get them off asap, but I can't access my summers yet!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #2294 on: April 19, 2014, 01:02:06 am »
Looks great, wish I was that good with a buffer, and I have a good one! with all the different pads.  Maybe it's because my car is white?

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #2295 on: April 19, 2014, 08:48:03 am »
It was my first time using it, so I was a little nervous, but I got the hang of it quickly. I had practiced on the Spitfire last week to pickup the feel for it. I don't have enough pads, so I just used one to apply the rubbing compound, everything else was done by hand with quality applicators and microfiber.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #2296 on: April 19, 2014, 06:33:43 pm »
Got the oils changed (diff, transfer case, transmission), replaced brake pads and tires balanced on the Tundra.

What did the tranny fluid change run you if you don't mind me asking?  Did they drop the pan or how do they perform the change?

I paid for fluid only, my brother did all the work.
No need to drop the pan, but the tranny procedure is a wild one because it has no dipstick, it looks like this:
- drain it first (drain plug),
- put in 4L of trans oil through the fill plug,
- put trans into temp sensing mode: short two pins on OBDII connector (4-13 I think), start the truck, move gear lever to D and keep switching from D to N until "D" light cams on for 2 sec and turns off, put trans in P and wait for "D" light to come on again - this means the trans oil is between 36-46C (again, I think that's the range),
- if "D" light starts flashing the temp is above 46C - too hot,
- open overfill plug on the trans - this will remove the excess oil - until the oil trickles down, close the plug,
- that's it. Easy eh?

I think I've got all the steps, google it to make sure if you'd like to do it yourself.  I'm sure the dealer can simply connect the truck to the diagnostic comp and read the temp instead.

That still doesn't get all the dirty fluid out of the torque converter and all the lines, does it?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: April 19, 2014, 06:36:18 pm »
Winter tire swap done. 

Side to side slop is usually tie rod ends. Up and down slop is usually ball joint.

Offline ipolski

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 540i-6M, Passat Wagon, Tundra, MDX
« Reply #2298 on: April 19, 2014, 06:39:08 pm »
Washed the MDX today.  I need new chamois - lots of spots left from hard water.  I was thinking about changing to all-season tires, but with yesterday's snow I'll wait just a little bit longer.

Offline ipolski

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 540i-6M, Passat Wagon, Tundra, MDX
« Reply #2299 on: April 19, 2014, 06:43:08 pm »
Got the oils changed (diff, transfer case, transmission), replaced brake pads and tires balanced on the Tundra.

What did the tranny fluid change run you if you don't mind me asking?  Did they drop the pan or how do they perform the change?

I paid for fluid only, my brother did all the work.
No need to drop the pan, but the tranny procedure is a wild one because it has no dipstick, it looks like this:
- drain it first (drain plug),
- put in 4L of trans oil through the fill plug,
- put trans into temp sensing mode: short two pins on OBDII connector (4-13 I think), start the truck, move gear lever to D and keep switching from D to N until "D" light cams on for 2 sec and turns off, put trans in P and wait for "D" light to come on again - this means the trans oil is between 36-46C (again, I think that's the range),
- if "D" light starts flashing the temp is above 46C - too hot,
- open overfill plug on the trans - this will remove the excess oil - until the oil trickles down, close the plug,
- that's it. Easy eh?

I think I've got all the steps, google it to make sure if you'd like to do it yourself.  I'm sure the dealer can simply connect the truck to the diagnostic comp and read the temp instead.

That still doesn't get all the dirty fluid out of the torque converter and all the lines, does it?

I think it does not, we got only just under 4L out of the tranny. But this was the procedure given by Toyota, so I'm hoping they know what are they doing :)