Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 430929 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #1140 on: May 25, 2018, 11:47:19 am »
My KX250 FI will bump start, but dirtbike  :).

Hurting today, locked on front brake on hard pack last night and slammed down on hip/shoulder.  Writhed around on the ground for a while but only sore body and bruises today.  Gave junior a bit of worry though when Dad went down  :rofl2:.

It's all the rage this season!  ;D

Glad you're ok.  :thumbup:
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #1141 on: May 25, 2018, 12:32:18 pm »

Hurting today, locked on front brake on hard pack last night and slammed down on hip/shoulder.  Writhed around on the ground for a while but only sore body and bruises today.  Gave junior a bit of worry though when Dad went down  :rofl2:.

It's all the rage this season!  ;D

Glad you're ok.  :thumbup:

Thanks Sir O, very minor compared to your performance  ;D
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: May 25, 2018, 12:34:58 pm »

Ouch.  You are just showing him how resilient you are.  ;D

Yes, of course  ;D.  The Kawi which I just bought this spring has been laid down more times than my previous Suzuki, which I rode for three seasons.

Tires? Suspension set up different? Keep this up and you need a steering stabilizer.

Ya, i dunno KTM. Tires are good. Haven’t played with the suspension yet. Bike is larger than the Suzuki, I may just be pushing it too hard before getting used to it.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #1143 on: May 25, 2018, 01:05:14 pm »
Did she try to bump start it?

Some bikes just won't bump start.  Most any fuel injected, but some carbed as well, my DRZ400 for example, if the battery is dead, pushing will not do it.

Hmm weird mt DRZE would bump start. Why wouldn't it do it?

It wouldn't bump start if the battery was dead, if the battery was charged up enough then it could bump start.  Must be an ignition thing.
Mr Pickypants

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #1144 on: May 25, 2018, 01:30:45 pm »
I bump started my old scooter once before, and had to bump start my Mazda 3 late last year because of a weak battery. My CB300F battery is super strong and I’ve never run it down yet, knock on wood.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: May 25, 2018, 09:32:29 pm »

This is why you don't scrimp on safety gear..particularly off road.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: May 25, 2018, 09:33:55 pm »
Haven’t played with the suspension yet. Bike is larger than the Suzuki, I may just be pushing it too hard before getting used to it.

You need to set the sag, at the very least, NOW. Be sure to set the sag fully geared up. This is far more important on an off road bike.

Who knows how the previous owner has it set up.

This is the very first thing I do when I get a used bike. Put it all back to stock settings, adjust the sag and go from there.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 09:35:58 pm by rrocket »

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: May 26, 2018, 12:06:35 am »
Got out for a night ride. I much say, the lighting is REALLY good...particularly the brights.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: May 26, 2018, 10:01:33 am »

I agree with the first part of your statement, but not the second. I view on road riding as much more dangerous. The surface to fall on while on road will almost always be unforgiving. Not so much off road. Additionally, little traffic off road. My opinion anyway.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: May 26, 2018, 07:23:59 pm »

I agree with the first part of your statement, but not the second. I view on road riding as much more dangerous. The surface to fall on while on road will almost always be unforgiving. Not so much off road. Additionally, little traffic off road. My opinion anyway.

Off road you fall much more frequently...it's almost a normal part of riding.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: May 26, 2018, 07:27:00 pm »

Off road you fall much more frequently...it's almost a normal part of riding.

Why you bustin balls about setting sag then?  :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: May 26, 2018, 07:36:16 pm »
I'm not busting balls..just advice from a lifetime or racing/riding off road.

You'd be surprised how bad some bikes suspension was out to lunch when bought used.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: May 26, 2018, 11:06:10 pm »
I’m kidding man. Why so serious  :P

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: May 27, 2018, 12:11:39 am »
I’m kidding man. Why so serious  [emoji14]
I know you were joking. LOL

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #1154 on: May 27, 2018, 04:57:59 pm »
I’d think crashing into trees whether one is riding on or off road will hurt more than sliding out on dirt or pavement.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: May 27, 2018, 05:22:30 pm »
I’d think crashing into trees whether one is riding on or off road will hurt more than sliding out on dirt or pavement.
Well it's funny you mention that...

Off road, riding single track particularly, I'd get "speared" by branches. It also necessitated hand guards to keep these same branches from potentially hitting the front brake level.

Also, objects of concern when falling were rocks (any size! ), tree roots, etc

Even compared to road RACING, I've fallen many, many more times off road. Granted, these are difficult conditions...but still.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #1156 on: May 28, 2018, 06:20:39 pm »
For sure. That is why a woods bike needs a good set of bark busters, rad guards, front safetly wired brake and shifter levers, steering stabilzer...

I laugh at most of the promotional dirtbike/enduro bike review on youtube. You have a guy that is well on the wrong side of 200 on a stock bike. When Mr fat ass sits on the bike you can see the sag is much more than the 110-120mm usually specified. Then they go on to criticize the suspension and handling. ;D How about setting the suspension first Einstein?

For example I am about 210 with gear  (add on another 10lbs for camelback and tools. As much as 220lbs.) on my new bike I had to go up two spring rates for the rear and two spring rates for the forks. This keeps the bike suspension riding where it is supposed to and not half sagged out. The forks feel nice and plush, I can't imagine what stock would have been.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #1157 on: May 29, 2018, 04:03:16 pm »
I'd been debating about taking a road trip with my R3 the last week or so, and intently staring at the weather forecast.

Would have been a ride from my place down to the Vosges (88), and then spending a few nights there to take advantage of the holiday. I've been there before by car and the roads and scenery are extremely pretty. About 800-900km altogether over 4 days.

But while the weather forecast has improved Sat-Sun, Thurs-Fri still look dicey. Also, I don't think I can do the whole trip with just my rucksack; none of my relocation items have arrived yet (!!!) and therefore my tailbag is missing, as are my riding boots. So reluctantly I think I'll do the trip by car and save the motorcycle road trip for another weekend.  :-\ Bummer, I was kinda looking forward to doing some touring there.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #1158 on: June 03, 2018, 11:10:40 am »
I'd been debating about taking a road trip with my R3 the last week or so, and intently staring at the weather forecast.

Would have been a ride from my place down to the Vosges (88), and then spending a few nights there to take advantage of the holiday. I've been there before by car and the roads and scenery are extremely pretty. About 800-900km altogether over 4 days.

But while the weather forecast has improved Sat-Sun, Thurs-Fri still look dicey. Also, I don't think I can do the whole trip with just my rucksack; none of my relocation items have arrived yet (!!!) and therefore my tailbag is missing, as are my riding boots. So reluctantly I think I'll do the trip by car and save the motorcycle road trip for another weekend.  :-\ Bummer, I was kinda looking forward to doing some touring there.

Just go for it. In the end you really only need a toothbrush and a credit card.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #1159 on: June 03, 2018, 05:13:13 pm »

Just go for it. In the end you really only need a toothbrush and a credit card.
I was glad I didn't. The mountain roads were wet after some showers on Thursday, and it poured buckets on Friday afternoon. Saturday there were a zillion (mostly German) motorcyclists on the Route des Crêtes but I was happier on my road bike and didn't totally envy them. Actually got annoyed at some of them for brushing so close to me with a wide open opposing lane.

If the stars align I plan to do a track day at Anneau du Rhin at month end, in which case I will rent a van to shuttle the bike down. The two days after that, I could just ride the R3 since I'd be already there, and not have to deal with the 270km boring stretch of highway. I still prefer track riding over road riding, really.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 05:15:48 pm by mlin32 »