Author Topic: REVIEW: Garant Scratch Free Telescoping Snow Brush  (Read 6740 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
REVIEW: Garant Scratch Free Telescoping Snow Brush
« on: December 12, 2017, 05:41:11 pm »
I broke the ice scraping portion of my long-owned snow brush, so it was time for a new one.  So for the last couple of days, I've been test driving a "scratch free" snow brush made by a Canadian company, Garant.  I went for the top-of-the-line 52" telescoping model.

In lieu of bristles, the brush head uses EVA foam sandwiched in rubber.  So in theory, this will be safer than a brush on your paint surface when you're clearing the snow from the roof, trunk, hood, etc.  The brush head itself is sizeable and double sided.  The body is aluminum and there's a nice grippy foam handle insulator for when you need to put the scrapper to use.  The scraper is VERY robust, and double sided.  The one side has very large, aggressive teeth for getting through stubborn ice.  The other side is the usual ice scrapper...best for finishing off or light duty work.

I really like how this snow brush has several configurations.  In standard mode, the brush head runs in-line to the body...like a normal brush.  But push a button, and the head turns 90 degrees so now you have a brush that acts more like a rake.  So you can easily push the snow.  Push another button, and the ~36" snow brush extends to 52".  That meant I could clear the trunk and roof of my car pretty much from one side.  It works VERY well.  Also, with only light snow on the windshield, the EVA brush has give, so it worked pretty much like a squeegee.  This also helped it contour around my headlights.

The construction seems very sturdy.  Plastic is thick, button meaty.  I think this would last for a long time.  My only reservation would be trying to clear gritty, abrasive ice with the EVA head.  I could see it maybe getting torn up.  But I don't think it's designed for that.  Rather it's for pushing snow.  So used in that context, I think it would be pretty durable.  But time will tell.

I also got one for IQ and she reports that it's much easier to clear her roof with this brush (she's short).  Because of this, I'd imagine this would be really good for people with tall vehicles..CUV/SUV/Truck.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the construction and utility of this brush.  If the EVA head lasts, this is a keeper despite the premium cost of about $28.

Here's a video with some of the features:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-3f3c0EpII

« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 05:45:48 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
Re: REVIEW: Garant Scratch Free Telescoping Snow Brush
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 06:02:16 pm »
I've been using the standard version for two years now. Works great although I miss the bristles for snow/ice trapped at the bottom of the windshield.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 06:04:09 pm »
I've been using the standard version for two years now. Works great although I miss the bristles for snow/ice trapped at the bottom of the windshield.

I thought that might be an issue, too.  But the edge on the brush fits into that crevice pretty good on my car.

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 07:36:43 pm »
I have the regular one too. It's great.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 07:44:46 pm »

Same here.. ;)

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 07:57:50 pm »

I have a garage..... ;D
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 08:05:16 pm »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 08:32:27 pm »

I have a garage..... ;D

:iagree:

You guy have indoor parking at work?  Must be nice....

I have a garage too...but still haven't figured out how to use it to keep the snow off my car while at work.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 08:38:18 pm by rrocket »

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 06:16:06 pm »
Work what's that ;D I'm retired

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 10:40:23 am »
Mazda doesn't get a garage either at home or at work.

In fact, I park right behind my office (i.e. if I look out my window, all I see is a small black derriere)!

I bought this bad boy on sale a few months ago:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/reflex-snow-brush-50-in-0304482p.html#srp

It's a decent brush, but 50" telescoped isn't enough to push the snow entirely off the other side, which is a shame since it's only about ~5" short.

The 52" won't be any more useful.  If something happened to my brush above, I'd consider buying one.

...and I'd buy one for the wife, but she's a dolt who barely clears off her car any way, so she wouldn't use it  >:(

...plus, it doesn't come in pink.  Her brush is pink (I tried to use it as an incentive for her to want to clear off her car...failed).

Edit:

This one is 61" long and on sale for $16.99...
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/reflex-eva-snow-brush-with-light-61-in-0304465p.html#srp

I may buy that one.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:42:50 am by No-san »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 11:59:48 am »
which is a shame since it's only about ~5" short.

Ah, your wife has been complaining about you again, has she?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 12:03:51 pm »
 ::)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 12:18:46 pm »
I have that exact same one, bought it on sale a couple winters ago now. This will be season 3 for it, no issues at all and it works surprisingly well on scraping ice, especially if you have the defroster going & warming up the car 1st.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 12:28:15 pm »
Speaking of which, I measured by hand fuel economy of 11.3L/100km for the past 236km in the Mazda 3 due, I'd think, mostly to idling time clearing snow off the car (I had to clear it 6 times yesterday FFS - in the morning, leaving work, after coming out of the grocery store, after coming out of the gym, after taking the hot friend whose Golf lost a wheel to the grocery store (it was the least I could do ;D), and then after leaving home to go to another grocery store upon running out of vegetable oil necessary to fry up latkas for the wife's potluck dinner tonight (yeah, I'm domesticated...).

I would have really liked the 61" EVA brush yesterday (it was all fluffy stuff, but lots of it and accumulating quickly).

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 12:37:07 pm »
Speaking of which, I measured by hand fuel economy of 11.3L/100km for the past 236km in the Mazda 3 due, I'd think, mostly to idling time clearing snow off the car (I had to clear it 6 times yesterday FFS - in the morning, leaving work, after coming out of the grocery store, after coming out of the gym, after taking the hot friend whose Golf lost a wheel to the grocery store (it was the least I could do ;D), and then after leaving home to go to another grocery store upon running out of vegetable oil necessary to fry up latkas for the wife's potluck dinner tonight (yeah, I'm domesticated...).

I would have really liked the 61" EVA brush yesterday (it was all fluffy stuff, but lots of it and accumulating quickly).

My JGC is sitting at 16.4L/100km right now... lotsa remote start starting & idling while cleaning off... and then stop & go traffic for the past 4 days of commuting. This weekend I have to take my oldest up to Camp Fortune for his TA training, so it will bring the consumption average down & get a little bit of hwy driving in. Might ski on Sunday, so then I'll just stay there, but Saturday will be there/back, there/back  :rofl2:

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 12:51:05 pm »
 :o 16.4L of dino juice?!?!?! 

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 12:59:54 pm »
:o 16.4L of dino juice?!?!?! 

Yup!! Too much idling for this last tank... usually I'm in the 12 range for my commute in the summer, winter is higher, but this past week & a bit has been brutal. This morning it was -21ºC and -30ºC with the wind... so I was plenty happy to let it run for 5mins & warm the f**k up!!

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 01:55:31 pm »
Do you find that helps?  Everything I've read suggests diesels need to be driven to warm up.

VW added an additional cooling circuit that bypasses the rad and only provides heat to the cabin in an effort to deliver heat quicker.  It works pretty well.  But even after a few minutes of idling there's no heat coming out.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 01:59:50 pm »

My JGC is sitting at 16.4L/100km right now... lotsa remote start starting & idling while cleaning off... and then stop & go traffic for the past 4 days of commuting. This weekend I have to take my oldest up to Camp Fortune for his TA training, so it will bring the consumption average down & get a little bit of hwy driving in. Might ski on Sunday, so then I'll just stay there, but Saturday will be there/back, there/back  :rofl2:
Camp Fortune ? TA Training ?

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2017, 02:11:18 pm »
Do you find that helps?  Everything I've read suggests diesels need to be driven to warm up.

VW added an additional cooling circuit that bypasses the rad and only provides heat to the cabin in an effort to deliver heat quicker.  It works pretty well.  But even after a few minutes of idling there's no heat coming out.

Yeah, I find it does help, cabin is warmer, oil gets circulated thru the engine a bit... by the time I pass the Carling exit going east on the 417 it's pumping out some serious heat.