Author Topic: Political & Religious Discussion subforum  (Read 15163 times)

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Re: Political & Religious Discussion subforum
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2019, 07:19:41 am »
Oh fookin Monster Cable Syndrome.  Same thing in car audio discussions.

I've sampled a few speaker cables and interconnect cables in my home system and can hear the difference between the various ones I've used... but I'm not talking exotic $1000 cables, I'm talking $100 models  ;D

Is that an actual thing?? I tried to read some forums on cheap vs expensive cables and the two sides were more deeply entrenched that Palestine/Israel conflict. I just went to home depot and bought bigger gauge wire and called it a day.

According to the measurements you start to get signal loss on the lower gauge cables, which are usually the cheaper ones. I don't put much into the measurements though, I go by what I hear and in my system the upgraded cables gave it a more neutral and full tone. My cables are not mega expensive by any means though, I think I paid ~$18/ft back in 2001, it now sells for $23/ft though. I bought 16' in total and then did my own terminations with spades on one end and then banana plugs on the other end, plus they're bi-wired at the speaker end.

Lower gauge cable = larger wire.  You're saying you get signal loss with LARGER cables?  LOL.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
Re: Political & Religious Discussion subforum
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2019, 08:38:00 am »
Oh fookin Monster Cable Syndrome.  Same thing in car audio discussions.

I've sampled a few speaker cables and interconnect cables in my home system and can hear the difference between the various ones I've used... but I'm not talking exotic $1000 cables, I'm talking $100 models  ;D

Is that an actual thing?? I tried to read some forums on cheap vs expensive cables and the two sides were more deeply entrenched that Palestine/Israel conflict. I just went to home depot and bought bigger gauge wire and called it a day.

According to the measurements you start to get signal loss on the lower gauge cables, which are usually the cheaper ones. I don't put much into the measurements though, I go by what I hear and in my system the upgraded cables gave it a more neutral and full tone. My cables are not mega expensive by any means though, I think I paid ~$18/ft back in 2001, it now sells for $23/ft though. I bought 16' in total and then did my own terminations with spades on one end and then banana plugs on the other end, plus they're bi-wired at the speaker end.

Lower gauge cable = larger wire.  You're saying you get signal loss with LARGER cables?  LOL.

Yeah, got that backwards.... fack me,  :banghead: :banghead: Was thinking just regular 14AWG cable, as illustrated below. These are the cables I have https://www.kimber.com/products/8TC

You live everyday. You only die once....