Author Topic: How much variance between tires - 4wd  (Read 3522 times)

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
How much variance between tires - 4wd
« on: February 11, 2018, 10:25:33 am »
I'm looking at winter tires for the golf and I'm thinking about going used.

I'm assuming that 4wd systems tolerate less of a variance between tires. However, If I understand the 4motion system properly it's normally a 90/10 split with up to 50/50 as necessary. So presumably the tires wear at different rates.

So I guess I'm wondering how much of a variance is acceptable? The current set I'm looking at have barely been used.

If I find tires and they're within 1/32 of each other I'm assuming that should be okay, but thought I would confirm with you folk.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
Re: How much variance between tires - 4wd
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 10:43:02 am »
It's a Haldex system in the 4motion, right? Same as Audi, so here's the spec from the owners manual:

Audi - As published in their vehicle owner's manual, "rolling radius of all 4 tires must remain the same" or within 4/32-inch of each other in remaining tread depth.

But it reality you wouldn't wanna go with that much difference with winter tires, so I'd say stick with a max of 2/32's which shouldn't be hard to find. The X-ice 3's that I picked up used for the GF's 323i were within 1/32.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 11:41:05 am »
I believe it's haldex.

Thanks for that. I haven't been able to find the canadian sportwagen manual online. So if the wear is very close I think I'll pick up the set I have a line on.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 12:48:34 pm »
I believe there is more variation tolerance than we believe. Consider these are nose heavy VAG products. The front tires are subjected to more weight and the sidewalls will squish more than the rears. Certainly more than 1-2/32.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 12:57:56 pm »
I believe there is more variation tolerance than we believe. Consider these are nose heavy VAG products. The front tires are subjected to more weight and the sidewalls will squish more than the rears. Certainly more than 1-2/32.

See this is what I'm thinking but I don't want it to be a reason for VW to void warranty.

The vw parts guy told me that used tires is like "wearing someone else's socks" and that he didn't recommend it  ::). He shut up once I told him I'm looking for used alloys.
They did confirm I can downsize on the 4motion to 15s which is ideal since 15s are dirt cheap tires.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 03:37:05 pm »

See this is what I'm thinking but I don't want it to be a reason for VW to void warranty.

The vw parts guy told me that used tires is like "wearing someone else's socks" and that he didn't recommend it  ::). He shut up once I told him I'm looking for used alloys.
They did confirm I can downsize on the 4motion to 15s which is ideal since 15s are dirt cheap tires.

Typical VW —-

You will be fine with a good set of used winter tires...I’d target 1y old sets, so potentially used for one winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 03:54:01 pm »
In case of 15" winters why not buy new for a peace of mind that the tires are not old (as in stored under sun for a few years), repaired or out-of-round to the point of vibration no matter the balancing. For wheels used OEM "take-off" rims are the best bang for a buck, at least in my experience.
P.s. for used tires check the year and week of production, it's on every tire.
edit:spelling
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 05:56:05 pm by EV Dan »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 05:48:11 pm »
The particular set of wheels and tires were apparently used for less than half a season. Hence my interest in them.

Otherwise I'd for sure just go new.