Author Topic: Out with the Volvo, and in with the....  (Read 14123 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: Out with the Volvo, and in with the....
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2018, 04:43:03 am »
Wow! So in addition to the numerous visits for little things, you had the car in for another 23 days.

Garbage reliability for a vehicle costing this much.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +52/-182
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
  • Cars: 2019 Audi RS3, 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, 2014 Mazda 3 GX
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2018, 07:34:51 am »
Finally picked up my C43, after 23 days at the dealership. Had the front axle, and transmission replaced.

On another note, the major creaks and rattles from the interior seem to have disappeared. Not sure if MB worked on it while my car was in, or because the temperatures have risen. Either way, a pleasant surprise.

I hope this is the end of the problems for you.  Two years ago I got rid of my 2011 BMW 335 that was absolutely cursed from the moment I bought it.  Even though I lost a bunch of money on it I couldn't be happier with my decision to get out of the FGC game.  There are a bunch of old posts here on my troubles but it's too scarring for me to go look them up!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2018, 07:50:18 am »
Finally picked up my C43, after 23 days at the dealership. Had the front axle, and transmission replaced.

On another note, the major creaks and rattles from the interior seem to have disappeared. Not sure if MB worked on it while my car was in, or because the temperatures have risen. Either way, a pleasant surprise.

I hope this is the end of the problems for you.  Two years ago I got rid of my 2011 BMW 335 that was absolutely cursed from the moment I bought it.  Even though I lost a bunch of money on it I couldn't be happier with my decision to get out of the FGC game.  There are a bunch of old posts here on my troubles but it's too scarring for me to go look them up!
Aren't you still driving FGCs  :rofl:

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2018, 08:27:07 am »

Yeah..... ???
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2018, 08:30:18 am »

Yeah..... ???
VW is FGC-lite though...you get a niggle here and there...go MB or BMW and you're full on FGC.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +52/-182
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
  • Cars: 2019 Audi RS3, 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, 2014 Mazda 3 GX
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2018, 09:16:34 am »

Yeah..... ???
VW is FGC-lite though...you get a niggle here and there...go MB or BMW and you're full on FGC.

Hmm yes good point guys but I was thinking luxury FGC..... So far in two years no issues with either VW.  (hope I didn't just do a major jinx on myself!)

Offline itsMarc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 MB AMG C43, '13 Volvo S60
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2018, 03:36:22 pm »
You have to be kidding...

I wish I was. Don't let the fancy open-pore wood or the premium touch points fool you, the quality (in the W205 C-Class sedans at least) is all superficial.

Offline itsMarc

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2018, 03:42:40 pm »

Most likely the temperature.

Yeah, most likely. It's not likely that the technicians would repair something I didn't ask them to, given the service department is swamped with repair work 24/7  :rofl2:

Offline itsMarc

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2018, 04:01:12 pm »

Thanks, I hope so too. I'm only 11 months into the 4 year lease, so we shall see. I am on the final straws though, if anything else breaks down, I may just ask if they could buy it back.

And regarding your BMW, I'm sorry to hear what you had to go through. I finally understand the appeal of a Lexus though, lol!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-433
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2018, 06:26:21 pm »
so why was the transmission and axle replaced?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2018, 07:36:32 pm »
Oh that's easy!

Because FGC!

Offline itsMarc

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2018, 09:05:22 pm »

It all started with a slight clunk during a gear change while driving on Hwy 404 in Toronto. It wasn't until I got off the highway that I noticed a strong burning smell, and a faint whining noise that varied with engine RPM. At the same time, the car started to feel really sluggish.

Turns out there was a manufacturing defect with the 9 G-tronic transmission, causing oil to leak onto the exhaust. In the end, they had to order new parts from Germany (5 items total), which took almost 3 weeks to arrive.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2018, 09:17:56 pm »
Uggggg...

Offline itsMarc

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2018, 09:34:17 pm »
Uggggg...

From what I've heard, I got off easy. A friend's boss' 2017 GLC300 misfired and stalled on the highway, almost causing an accident.

On another note, after the test drive of the 2018 Volvo XC60 PIH at CIAS, I'm looking forward to getting out of the Benz and picking up our 7th Volvo. So beautiful  :drool:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2018, 09:57:59 pm »
I think MB is a coin toss.  You're either going to get a great one or you're sunk.  This has been going on a long time.  Our C230 was really good, the E300 a total POS.  The E-Class spent more time being towed than driven - and yeah, sometimes the dealer would need to have it for long periods of time waiting for parts or just plain head scratching.

Not much has changed in 20 years.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2018, 08:21:49 am »
So I'm going to add the experiences of our friend who also HAD a C43 until he got rid of it on a lease buyout site.  I've never seen someone so frustrated with a new car. 

-  Its turbo ended up giving up the ghost at 5K Kms. 
-  Transmission problems from day 1, transmission replaced under warranty
-  The dealership never could dial in the alignment. 
-  The number of rattles would have given my 2007 Mazda 3 a run for its money
-  Numerous warning lights for apparently no reason
-  The rear section of the headliner behind the passenger seats started peeling away from the interior roof trim
-  Constant random reboots on the MMI which actually ended up shutting down the HVAC system when I was in the car with him. 
-  Defect in one of the suspension bushings

The list goes on.  I think he had the car for a year before foisting it on someone else (we was transparent about the issues though) and during that time I saw him with a loaner more often than with his own car.  We always joked that it seemed MB was building defects into the C-series in order to upsell the E-class and ML-class since he always received one of those as a loaner.   

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2018, 08:23:10 am »
So I'm going to add the experiences of our friend who also HAD a C43 until he got rid of it on a lease buyout site.  I've never seen someone so frustrated with a new car. 

-  Its turbo ended up giving up the ghost at 5K Kms. 
-  Transmission problems from day 1, transmission replaced under warranty
-  The dealership never could dial in the alignment. 
-  Numerous warning lights for apparently no reason
-  The rear section of the headliner behind the passenger seats started peeling away from the interior roof trim
-  Constant random reboots on the MMI which actually ended up shutting down the HVAC system when I was in the car with him. 
-  Defect in one of the suspension bushings

The list goes on.  I think he had the car for a year before foisting it on someone else (we was transparent about the issues though) and during that time I saw him with a loaner more often than with his own car.  We always joked that it seemed MB was building defects into the C-series in order to upsell the E-class and ML-class since he always received one of those as a loaner.   
Brutal!

What a POS..

Offline itsMarc

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2018, 03:56:52 pm »

THIS. The rattles in my C43 is driving me up the f****** wall.

It's only been 10 months, and buyer's remorse is in full effect. Eyeing the Volvo XC60 as a replacement.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2018, 04:25:05 pm »

THIS. The rattles in my C43 is driving me up the f****** wall.

It's only been 10 months, and buyer's remorse is in full effect. Eyeing the Volvo XC60 as a replacement.

Jeezus buddy, this all stinks. Sorry to hear it. Not sure if it's been asked already but have you got any recourse or leverage for a MB Canada buyback?

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2018, 04:49:43 pm »
You’re giving me an easy out on the C43 wagon promise.

;D (not sure it directd at me or itsMarc but I'll chime in anyway)  Despite my enthusiasm for the C43 wagon's arrival in yesterday's thread, i had indeed forgotten about the OP's woes. I'd say you are definitely off the hook.

Also, WTF is wrong with you, Mercedes??