Author Topic: Question for an insurance professinal - unathorized insurance payments  (Read 2669 times)

Offline m456789

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Toyota
My friend has two cars he owns and he was a principal driver and insurance holder. His wife was also included in the insurance as the 2nd driver. He has recently found out that his wife added a year ago another car she purchased as well as a car belonging to her son's from previous marriage to his insurance policy without his knowledge or consent. The insurance company was pulling money from his bank account for the services rendered (his two cars + his wife and her son cars) as part of pre-authorized payments. He's cancelled the insurance once he found it out, is going through separation, and is wondering if and how he can claim the money taken from his bank account to pay for insuring his wife and her son cars.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: Question for an insurance professinal - unathorized insurance payments
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 03:01:06 pm »
His account was being debited for a year before he noticed  ???

IMO, he is SOL.  Seems to me he has much, much bigger $$$ problems ahead.  This insurance thing was just a taster.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 03:38:04 pm »

IMO, he is SOL.  Seems to me he has much, much bigger $$$ problems ahead.  This insurance thing was just a taster.

:iagree:

This poor guy needs to forget about that insurance money, he's not going to recover that, and get good at damage control elsewhere.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 03:45:37 pm »

There you go again, providing legal advice when you're not knowledgeable enough or licensed to do so.

OP's friend (aka OP...since nobody posting for their "friend" has said friend :P) is very much not SOL, but should consult a lawyer (not me).

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 04:02:45 pm »

There you go again, providing legal advice when you're not knowledgeable enough or licensed to do so.

OP's friend (aka OP...since nobody posting for their "friend" has said friend :P) is very much not SOL, but should consult a lawyer (not me).

hence, SOL.   lawyer's not free,  ;D :o  not that they should be, but insurance stuff that OP paid for , any amount he's eligible to recover, will probably go to lawyer anyway and then some.  (probably A LOT of somes)

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 04:51:49 pm »
hence, SOL.   lawyer's not free,  ;D :o  not that they should be, but insurance stuff that OP paid for , any amount he's eligible to recover, will probably go to lawyer anyway and then some.  (probably A LOT of somes)
Correct - lawyers aren't free; however, sounds like he's going to have to get a lawyer any way for the separation - it may cost a lot more if he doesn't.

ltruong

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 05:58:39 pm »
Correct - lawyers aren't free; however, sounds like he's going to have to get a lawyer any way for the separation - it may cost a lot more if he doesn't.

I would forget about the insurance money too.    My guess is you will spend your yearly insurance cost  in less than 2hrs of legal consultation.

I would also tell him to focus on the separation and try to be very friendly.  I am by no mean a lawyer but I did see lawyer bills and OOO Mer Gawd I'm in the wrong business.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:01:15 pm by wongpong »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 10:55:57 pm »

Really?   :rofl2:

Offline m456789

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Toyota
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 01:35:57 pm »
thanks a lot everybody for the most valuable input!

Offline smallbutmighty-lady

• Learner's Permit
  • smallbutmighty-lady
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Hyundai Elantra
Unfortunately nothing can be done. The wife was on the policy probably as a named insured. Which means she gets to call the shots just as much as the husband. I think you need a lawyer. This goes beyond insurance money being debited from an account. Like was the bank account a shared one? Did the husband have to sign off on anything? Etc.... i hope this was resolved...