Author Topic: Car flooded by parking garage sprinkler  (Read 9474 times)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Re: Car flooded by parking garage sprinkler
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 02:33:04 pm »
Insurers like the cheapest fix possible.  They don't typically work in fear of "futures" since any "future" problem would have to be (in their opinion) inextricably linked to the water damage.  Everything insurers do is risk - so if they fix the car in the most basic way, and it works for a bit, then the risk of having to pay more later is quite low.  It's not a given that your car WILL have electrical problems later.

...but like I said, I was never an adjuster.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 03:25:34 pm »
^^ REALLY?  I hope so for your sake, but my vote is that it'll be given a quick cleaning and otherwise will be put back on the road for <$1,000 paid by the insurer.

Less $500,  ::)  the typical COMP deductible amount.  However, a write off is a whole different story ..... winner or loser  ???

Have rental coverage?  Pretty standard to have it.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 04:15:50 pm »
My comp deductible is actually 1000 but ultimately there's no choice. Sounded like they were going to go after the landlord's insurance.

I have rental coverage. Got a vehicle with winter tires, though it's a versa note.

Spoke to a neighbour and seems his insurance is writing his car off.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2018, 04:35:20 pm »
My comp deductible is actually 1000 but ultimately there's no choice. Sounded like they were going to go after the landlord's insurance.

Well I hope so and if they do you should eventually get your $1K back.   However, my mom's condo got flooded for $14K in damage from a leak caused by the condo infrastructure and after extensive talks with the insurer they said no to subrogating the claim.  Just don't plan on it.     

I take it that you where quite satisfied with your vehicle?    :-\   

So I take it that the vehicle is sitting outside at some "yard"?   It's gonna freeze solid ???

Talk to your claim adjuster about the possibility of buying the vehicle back from them.  See how the math stacks up.  IMO, it just needs to be dried out.  Sure it won't be as the same, but a dried out vehicle plus 10K in hand can be good for the soul.  On a car like that, resale will hardly be affected.

Just explore possibilities.  But again time is of the essence and the time of year really sucks for a DIY job.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 04:46:36 pm »
The car has been great to me. But the situation is a bit different since I have a depreciation waiver. I wonder if that makes them less likely to write it off? Possible I suppose.

I don't think I'd buy the car back from them were they to write it off. In any case it appears flood damaged cars cannot be registered in Ontario.
I drove it to a repair shop today. It'll likely be frozen in the flash freeze that's happening here, unless they took it into the garage. Which I somewhat doubt since everyone seems to think it'll be written off.

As far as subrogation, it's a bit different as it's not a condo but rather a rental. Which means they have some extra obligations under the RTA. I did speak to the LTB about filing a claim there. There are options, even if insurance fails.

Ultimately $1000 isn't the end of the world. I'm good at bureaucracy so I won't let it go easy though :D

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 04:59:17 pm »
Inextricably you say?

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2018, 05:40:11 pm »
This just sucks all around.  Very sorry to hear, Pi.   :-\

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2018, 05:41:19 pm »
Yea that sucks. Hope it gets resolved ie. you get a new car.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2018, 10:58:44 pm »
 But the situation is a bit different since I have a depreciation waiver.

Well that's great.   Where's your mind wandering regards to a replacement?   :skid:

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2018, 08:32:26 am »
I'm trying not to daydream too much until I get the final response.
However, I did happen to test a Honda Clarity yesterday  :shuffle:
The dealer wasn't going to apply for the EVIP on my behalf so that made it less interesting.

Not sure how I'd replace it. EVs really interest me. So does a focus ST.  I can manage without a car for a while so that also might be the route I take.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2018, 08:52:34 am »

Well I hope so and if they do you should eventually get your $1K back.   However, my mom's condo got flooded for $14K in damage from a leak caused by the condo infrastructure and after extensive talks with the insurer they said no to subrogating the claim.  Just don't plan on it.     

I take it that you where quite satisfied with your vehicle?    :-\   

So I take it that the vehicle is sitting outside at some "yard"?   It's gonna freeze solid ???

Talk to your claim adjuster about the possibility of buying the vehicle back from them.  See how the math stacks up.  IMO, it just needs to be dried out.  Sure it won't be as the same, but a dried out vehicle plus 10K in hand can be good for the soul.  On a car like that, resale will hardly be affected.

Just explore possibilities.  But again time is of the essence and the time of year really sucks for a DIY job.
:censor: - again with your gibberish that's completely incorrect?  Can you please stop making assertions you have no knowledge over??

Whether the deductible is waived has nothing to do with subrogation. In fact, subrogation is actually a PITA for the insured since it means a lawsuit will be issued in pi's name and he'll have to show up for examinations for discovery, sign affidavits, and ultimately give evidence at a trial if it ever got that far. Insureds are contractually and statutorily obligated to assist in subrogation efforts, and they are not compensated for their efforts.

And once a payout is made on the policy, he can't just keep his vehicle - the insurance payout is basically the insurer buying out the car, which will be sold for salvage to recover anything possible. If the insured wants the car back, he/she would have to buy it out at fair market value or forego collecting the insurance proceeds.

Seriously Steve, just stop - I don't want to have to give out free legal advice every time you lift your :censor: wrists.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2018, 11:20:08 pm »
You are the most useless lawyer I have ever come across.  You spend most of your working day on this forum so it's unimaginable that some outfit would hire you, but yet you insist on the final word on insurance matters and criminal matters and the list goes on.  :)   

I said for the OP not to plan on getting his deductible back.  Gave an example that my mom's flood would not be litigated on her behalf by her insurance company and that she had to eat her deductible.  Insurance companies don't wave deductibles unless the money is recoverable.  However, it's always worth asking.  Costs nothing.

I received a insurance payout on a sailboat I was forced to scuttle.  Had a few holes in it.  I made a deal for the boat plus $$ settlement.  Insurance companies will work with their insureds providing they believe they have acted in good faith. 

You're young, had next to nil ownership experince, zero business experience, kick around from one ambulance firm to another ... so sorry, not listening to your critical reviews.

Tell the next one!   ;D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2018, 12:19:06 pm »
Steve,

I said for the OP not to plan on getting his deductible back.  Gave an example that my mom's flood would not be litigated on her behalf by her insurance company and that she had to eat her deductible.  Insurance companies don't wave deductibles unless the money is recoverable. 

So, you worked at an insurance company or litigated insurance matters before?  You know this with certainty?  I don't know where you go about calling me an ambulance chaser when I have spent the last two years working exclusively defending insurers.  You?  What do you do?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2018, 12:27:36 pm »
Posting a lot Gifs do not always make your point, but it does makes you look silly   ;D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2018, 12:38:46 pm »
Posting a lot Gifs do not always make your point, but it does makes you look silly   ;D

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2018, 12:44:54 pm »
 :popcorn:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2018, 12:53:57 pm »
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2018, 03:48:35 pm »

I’m just sad that you let him walk for writing wave. Especially since you did such a good job nailing him on his use of surrogate:'(

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2018, 04:54:46 pm »
Acknowledging the bully is oftentimes worse than going on a GIF rampage.  ;D

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2018, 05:14:24 pm »
I'm actually surprised you're able to fit all your GIF's in one post, instead of creating a new post for each gif. 

Congratulations.  You've now learned how to internet.