Author Topic: The Cigar Thread  (Read 186456 times)

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
Re: The Cigar Thread
« Reply #960 on: October 22, 2022, 01:01:43 pm »
Stopped in here while in Geneva this afternoon! Picked up a couple sticks - Davidoff Signature Toro & Grand CRU No.2. Saved about $12 over the price back home :rofl:

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: October 22, 2022, 02:29:34 pm »
Nice, nice.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: February 02, 2023, 10:31:41 pm »
Little Cuban delivery to fill up the humidor :bounce:

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: February 02, 2023, 10:35:24 pm »
^^Very nice!!

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: February 02, 2023, 11:02:51 pm »
^^Very nice!!
Thanks buddy! I'm stocked up pretty good now for a while. Smoke a lot less over the winter months for sure! Brought 4 out to Utah for Vman & I last week, didn't get a chance to even have one :rofl:

Off to Tremblant Sunday with Bella, so I should be good for 1 or 2 over our 3 night stay.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #965 on: April 10, 2023, 06:46:09 pm »
Had an afternoon outside with a cigar and some great rums to pair.  Got the cigars and rum from the Mexico duty free.  Still have no idea what I’m doing when buying cigars.  Ended up with a pack of 8 for $56 USD, turns out they are “dipped” in Cognac (Hennessy White).  So not exactly a classic cigar.  Live and learn.  Ron was nice enough to send me this fantastic ashtray, big thanks.  He also pointed me towards the cigar bag humidor.  Bought a lighter and cutter combo while I’m at it. 

It was windy but sunny and nice at around 14 degrees.  In the two hours I was outside I only had to relight the cigar twice, so I think that was as decent.  I was also smoking some chicken breast and pork chops for lunches this week and supper.  Neighbor joined me and brought out two of his favourite rums also.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 06:53:15 pm by JohnnyMac »

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: April 10, 2023, 07:12:21 pm »
^very nice! Wonder how many of those ashtrays Ron has sent out over the years as he sent me on as well.

As for what cigars to pick out, do some Google searches when you can, even if you're at the Duty Free, will give you a bit of an idea at least. Not sure if there's any decent cigar shops near you, but if there are, go check them out. I've got one nearby & I buy from them time to time. I usually go in, tell them what I like in general & they give me some recommendations. They also carry factory 2nds which are less money. I've got a few buddies who are into cigars, so whenever someone goes away they're picking up a few boxes & we split them up. My buddy has 100 coming up from FLA with his father-in-law at the end of the month, so there's more coming shortly and I probably have close to 30 in my humidor right now.

I did enjoy a couple this weekend up at Tremblant, both Cubans that I got back in February. A Partagas that was absolutely fabulous on Thursday evening & then a Montecristo on Saturday while walking around.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #967 on: April 11, 2023, 07:05:52 am »
^very nice! Wonder how many of those ashtrays Ron has sent out over the years as he sent me on as well.

As for what cigars to pick out, do some Google searches when you can, even if you're at the Duty Free, will give you a bit of an idea at least. Not sure if there's any decent cigar shops near you, but if there are, go check them out. I've got one nearby & I buy from them time to time. I usually go in, tell them what I like in general & they give me some recommendations. They also carry factory 2nds which are less money. I've got a few buddies who are into cigars, so whenever someone goes away they're picking up a few boxes & we split them up. My buddy has 100 coming up from FLA with his father-in-law at the end of the month, so there's more coming shortly and I probably have close to 30 in my humidor right now.

I did enjoy a couple this weekend up at Tremblant, both Cubans that I got back in February. A Partagas that was absolutely fabulous on Thursday evening & then a Montecristo on Saturday while walking around.

For whatever reason I was thinking the Cancun duty free would have a decent selection of cigars, but it really didn't.  I think there was between 8-10 to choose from.  Two were north of $200USD for a box, so that's beyond my comfort zone.  Two were about $42 USD for a box of 30, thought they would be bad due to price.  There was a few single or couple packs, not enough in them.  Then there was basically these and another from the same company, one was $56 and the other was $66, both 8 packs.  So based on the price, I assumed these were decent.  I didn't google them before as the duty free was crazy busy so I didn't notice they were "dipped".  My pallet isn't exactly great for cigars anyway, this being my second one ever, and I thought it was decent.  Didn't really taste the Cognac much, it seems pretty smooth and as I said, it did last a decent length of time at 2 hours of puffing and only relighting twice (which I thought was decent on my part considering it was so windy outside). 

I was trying to find something with Connecticut written on the box as that was the style/type that I smoked the first time and enjoyed.  But no luck.  I'm sure the selection would be better in Dominican Republic or obviously Cuba. 

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: April 11, 2023, 08:05:44 am »

For whatever reason I was thinking the Cancun duty free would have a decent selection of cigars, but it really didn't.  I think there was between 8-10 to choose from.  Two were north of $200USD for a box, so that's beyond my comfort zone.  Two were about $42 USD for a box of 30, thought they would be bad due to price.  There was a few single or couple packs, not enough in them.  Then there was basically these and another from the same company, one was $56 and the other was $66, both 8 packs.  So based on the price, I assumed these were decent.  I didn't google them before as the duty free was crazy busy so I didn't notice they were "dipped".  My pallet isn't exactly great for cigars anyway, this being my second one ever, and I thought it was decent.  Didn't really taste the Cognac much, it seems pretty smooth and as I said, it did last a decent length of time at 2 hours of puffing and only relighting twice (which I thought was decent on my part considering it was so windy outside). 

I was trying to find something with Connecticut written on the box as that was the style/type that I smoked the first time and enjoyed.  But no luck.  I'm sure the selection would be better in Dominican Republic or obviously Cuba.
The selection in the Dominican is pretty bad actually. Most of their cigar manufacturing is for export, so a lot of times it's cheaper to buy here in Canada or thru the States versus at the Duty Free to DR. In Cuba they jacked the prices in the past year or so, up almost 300%, so they're not as great a deal as they once were. I used to get a Montecristo No.4 for about $6CDN in Cuba vs $27 thru Cigar Chief. This past January that same cigar came in at $14.66.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: April 11, 2023, 08:39:04 am »

The selection in the Dominican is pretty bad actually. Most of their cigar manufacturing is for export, so a lot of times it's cheaper to buy here in Canada or thru the States versus at the Duty Free to DR. In Cuba they jacked the prices in the past year or so, up almost 300%, so they're not as great a deal as they once were. I used to get a Montecristo No.4 for about $6CDN in Cuba vs $27 thru Cigar Chief. This past January that same cigar came in at $14.66.

Hmmm, basically if I'm looking for the best combination of price and selection I likely would be better to get from the US?  I was actually thinking maybe there is a cigar/tobacco shop in the Cancun area that I could buy online and have it delivered to the resort.  I know that the resort sells cigars, but they are so heavily inflated price wise that it doesn't make sense.  Then you have the guys walking the beach trying to sell Cuban cigars, likely a decent price, but who knows what you would be getting, even though the boxes had what appeared to be government tax markers on them.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: April 11, 2023, 09:10:10 am »

Hmmm, basically if I'm looking for the best combination of price and selection I likely would be better to get from the US?  I was actually thinking maybe there is a cigar/tobacco shop in the Cancun area that I could buy online and have it delivered to the resort.  I know that the resort sells cigars, but they are so heavily inflated price wise that it doesn't make sense.  Then you have the guys walking the beach trying to sell Cuban cigars, likely a decent price, but who knows what you would be getting, even though the boxes had what appeared to be government tax markers on them.

Only issue from the States is the duty & taxes if you ship them up. I know Shane got stung with some of that a few years back. If you go visit the States for a few days, then it's worth it as you can bring back 50 cigars. Other trick is to buy at Duty Free in Canada before you travel as well. I picked up 35 cigars at Duty Free before we went to France. Had 3 while I was there & brought the rest back plus 2 more from the Davidoff store in Geneva.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: April 11, 2023, 09:15:15 am »

Only issue from the States is the duty & taxes if you ship them up. I know Shane got stung with some of that a few years back. If you go visit the States for a few days, then it's worth it as you can bring back 50 cigars. Other trick is to buy at Duty Free in Canada before you travel as well. I picked up 35 cigars at Duty Free before we went to France. Had 3 while I was there & brought the rest back plus 2 more from the Davidoff store in Geneva.

Nice, never really thought about buying from the Canadian duty free.  Is that typically less than local smoke shop?  Are they no taxes when you buy from the Canadian duty free?

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: April 11, 2023, 09:21:04 am »

Nice, never really thought about buying from the Canadian duty free.  Is that typically less than local smoke shop?  Are they no taxes when you buy from the Canadian duty free?

Yes, they ended up around $3 - $6 less per cigar & no duty or taxes. So you could've bought some on your way to Mexico & then brought them back.

I find these guys have the best online prices in Canada & use them as my reference. They operate off the reserve in Deseronto, just past Kingston here in Ontario and say no taxes or duties (not sure how they get away with that?).

https://cigarchief.com/

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: July 22, 2023, 08:24:02 pm »
A Punch London Club & glass of Jura 12yr Old Single Malt.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: August 06, 2023, 09:08:14 pm »
Last night a Partagas Mille Fleurs, tonight a Punch London Club.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #975 on: March 02, 2024, 04:36:27 pm »
Yum!

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: March 02, 2024, 04:41:36 pm »
Nice!

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: March 11, 2024, 07:56:49 pm »
Cuban shipment arrived today while I was at the hill. Ended up with 11 Montecristo #4's, 4 Romeo Y Julieta short Churchill's, 8 Romeo Y Julieta Wide Churchill's & 20 Romeo Y Julieta #2's. Will be sharing these with a couple of buddies.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: March 11, 2024, 08:55:31 pm »
Real nice haul!