Author Topic: TESLA Model III  (Read 505473 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: TESLA Model III
« Reply #580 on: February 26, 2017, 02:12:57 am »

but will be fun to drive regardless of opinion here.  .

Compared to other econoboxes? Maybe.

Compared to a Porsche? Never. Ever. EVER.
Econoboxes?!?!??! I'd rather have a Fiesta ST.....

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #581 on: February 26, 2017, 09:09:56 am »
So please tell us why he made that decision, I am really curious.

Lets be real here. Smart Electric made that :censor: story up.

Could be. At one point I traded an Infinity G37XS for a Leaf... One day you reach the : "Been there, done that, got the T-shirt" point and want to move on to something else.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #582 on: February 26, 2017, 09:24:28 am »

Could be. At one point I traded an Infinity G37XS for a Leaf... One day you reach the : "Been there, done that, got the T-shirt" point and want to move on to something else.
Why is it the only EV owner that gets under everyone's skin is SE ???
Probably because he is an ass about , I believe most people think a EV is a good thing , but it just does not fit into a lot of people's lifestyle at the moment
Give another 25 years and the technology will be there

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #583 on: February 26, 2017, 09:30:26 am »

Yeah. Rich can be eccentric is such way. Got the next Porsche service bill, counted his gold and went "screw it, I'll find a car that won't need ANY of these".
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: February 26, 2017, 09:32:19 am »

Why is it the only EV owner that gets under everyone's skin is SE ???
Probably because he is an ass about , I believe most people think a EV is a good thing , but it just does not fit into a lot of people's lifestyle at the moment
Give another 25 years and the technology will be there

In 25 years Musk will be selling flying teslas  ;D

Online Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #585 on: February 26, 2017, 09:47:49 am »
at the car show yesterday no Tesla both... walking by Ritz they had a trailer and some gull wing model for review...  asked the guy why they weren't at the show he said that they wouldn't give them a both because of the TADA  ;D

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: February 26, 2017, 11:53:32 am »

I dunno. It's possible. But clearly the Porsche owner doesn't care about driving dynamics in the least.
If it were anyone else telling the story I'd believe it. But not SE.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: February 26, 2017, 04:24:19 pm »

"Been there, done that, got the T-shirt" point and want to move on to something else.

Yes, I can appreciate that. Did all that with bikes.

And am interested legitimately in a Prius Prime for running to work. But couldn't be my only car...especially if trading down from a Porsche.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #588 on: February 26, 2017, 06:27:31 pm »

"Been there, done that, got the T-shirt" point and want to move on to something else.

Yes, I can appreciate that. Did all that with bikes.

And am interested legitimately in a Prius Prime for running to work. But couldn't be my only car...especially if trading down from a Porsche.

That is the situation we are in. To replace the Saab, which is basically our commuter vehicle, we wanted an EV. So the Tesla III will be for all mundane tasks commuting about, and the Alfa is for weekends on the back roads etc. Best of both worlds: during the week no pollution from tailpipe and no buying of gas, and on the weekend glorious internal combustion screaming its song to the hills.

Everyone should do that, as long as an EV/PHEV fits into their commuting requirements - and now with this new gen there is an EV/PHEV for everyone essentially. For sitting in traffic and going to and fro from work, there is no need for a 500hp gas machine. Save that for when you can actually use it.

My 2c.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #589 on: February 26, 2017, 10:50:09 pm »
It makes total sense! Although, 500 HP, you really need a track to use it.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: February 27, 2017, 02:35:45 am »
It makes total sense! Although, 500 HP, you really need a track to use it.

I was being ever so slightly hyperbolic...  ;)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: February 27, 2017, 06:06:24 pm »
the bolt's interior trim is on par with an econo box. it's that cheap.  and the car is priced like a 3 series.  i'd really like to buy an ev but it really doesn't add up even when you figure out the numbers using gas, repairs....and then you have to consider that you are then stuck with hydro to deliver your energy...and only hydro....  ::)

tesla built just over 66k cars in 2016....and lost half a billion?  and people really think they are going to meet their deadlines and become profitable?  i'd say if you order a model 3 now, it's going to be years before you get one and the car is going to be well over 60k in canada.  i'll just wait and see what they other oems come up with....

And like the other Tesla models, with bugs and questionable quality. Unlike other OEMs, Tesla tries to perfect the assembly process on the good...selling the cars regardless.

You'd be wise to at least wait a couple of years for your III.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: February 27, 2017, 07:33:11 pm »
the bolt's interior trim is on par with an econo box. it's that cheap.  and the car is priced like a 3 series.  i'd really like to buy an ev but it really doesn't add up even when you figure out the numbers using gas, repairs....and then you have to consider that you are then stuck with hydro to deliver your energy...and only hydro....  ::)

tesla built just over 66k cars in 2016....and lost half a billion?  and people really think they are going to meet their deadlines and become profitable?  i'd say if you order a model 3 now, it's going to be years before you get one and the car is going to be well over 60k in canada.  i'll just wait and see what they other oems come up with....

And like the other Tesla models, with bugs and questionable quality. Unlike other OEMs, Tesla tries to perfect the assembly process on the good...selling the cars regardless.

You'd be wise to at least wait a couple of years for your III.

I will let you know how mine is. If he keeps the price at ~40k base that is. If it is much above that, I am out.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #593 on: February 27, 2017, 07:39:45 pm »

And like the other Tesla models, with bugs and questionable quality. Unlike other non-German OEMs, Tesla tries to perfect the assembly process on the good...selling the cars regardless.

What you actually meant...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: February 27, 2017, 08:31:10 pm »
I think if the Leaf gets a 60kWh pack it will be priced similar to the Bolt, which is not cheap even with incentives, but I will bet the seats will be much better. GM should have taken the Volt bare bones and fitted a 60kWh pack in 'em.

As for Model 3, I doubt the base trim will be available from the start, with reservation or without. IIRC the Model S began selling from fully packed Signature series and gradually became available with smaller batteries and price levels.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: February 27, 2017, 08:37:43 pm »
I think if the Leaf gets a 60kWh pack it will be priced similar to the Bolt, which is not cheap even with incentives, but I will bet the seats will be much better. GM should have taken the Volt bare bones and fitted a 60kWh pack in 'em.

As for Model 3, I doubt the base trim will be available from the start, with reservation or without. IIRC the Model S began selling from fully packed Signature series and gradually became available with smaller batteries and price levels.

When Tesla was selling the X, because he had orders to fill, he was selling the vehicle half baked.  I remember seeing his proud Tweet saying how they had finally run an X down the line without significant quality issue.  This was AFTER they had already sold and delivered many.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: February 27, 2017, 09:14:59 pm »
ill get my base model whenever I can, and if Musk lied again and it will not be ~$40k USD, I will be shopping for a used Volt.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: February 27, 2017, 11:01:58 pm »
the car is going to be well over 60k in canada.  i'll just wait and see what they other oems come up with....

Our Mercedes SUV was that much new.  The Tesla 3 will be quicker, 5x more efficient and drive itself for the same price.  My wife wants every option ticked, as we did with her MB.  Premium vehicles aren't for everyone.  Tesla is forcing other car makers to compete, some will do so on price, some on style, some on interior luxury, fine by me.  I have a cheap commuter car, so I save money on that part of my expenses that I redirect to our longer range car....why buy two $30K cars when you can buy one premium and one cheap car?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #598 on: February 28, 2017, 07:35:16 am »
Our Mercedes SUV was that much new.  The Tesla 3 will be quicker, 5x more efficient and drive itself for the same price. 

Why do you keep comparing these two cars, they are not the in the same market. Might as well say a Corolla is more efficient and cheaper.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: February 28, 2017, 08:58:09 am »
Our Mercedes SUV was that much new.  The Tesla 3 will be quicker, 5x more efficient and drive itself for the same price. 

Why do you keep comparing these two cars, they are not the in the same market. Might as well say a Corolla is more efficient and cheaper.

not the same market, no. But in a way, yes. Both can ferry about a person in comfort and style. If that is all the Merc was used for, then the Tesla is a worthy successor.

If you like, my example will suit you better: My Tesla 3 will be replacing my Saab 9-3. Same parameters, and they are even roughly in the same class of vehicle [sport sedans]. There.