Author Topic: going to look at this LX470. She be old  (Read 2148 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: going to look at this LX470. She be old
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2023, 11:07:47 am »
Toy to keep me occupied until my future motorcycles arrive.  Do a few mechanical projects on it ( I have never done a 4.7 timing belt) when I am done  I'll put a rooftop tent on it and flip it to a clueless gen Z as an "overlander".  ;D

Will it drive the same? The old man has a 2005 Yukon Denali and it drives like a lumber wagon. Always has but I think that is related to the 20" wheels. These old LX have hydraulic adjustable suspension.. Wonder if that is working. Unfortunately it looks like the LX470s lost both the front/rear diff lockers.

This will likely go nowhere and I'll simply inherit my old LR4 back from my wife/kids and I'll slowly turn it into a bush buggy. Lots of projects on that one.. Wife has been eyeballing Macans.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2023, 11:21:04 am »
Toy to keep me occupied until my future motorcycles arrive.  Do a few mechanical projects on it ( I have never done a 4.7 timing belt) when I am done  I'll put a rooftop tent on it and flip it to a clueless gen Z as an "overlander".  ;D

Will it drive the same? The old man has a 2005 Yukon Denali and it drives like a lumber wagon. Always has but I think that is related to the 20" wheels. These old LX have hydraulic adjustable suspension.. Wonder if that is working. Unfortunately it looks like the LX470s lost both the front/rear diff lockers.

This will likely go nowhere and I'll simply inherit my old LR4 back from my wife/kids and I'll slowly turn it into a bush buggy. Lots of projects on that one.. Wife has been eyeballing Macans.

The LX470 and GX470 don't drive appreciably better in any way than a good, high-spec Yukon Denali or Tahoe of that era. They're all big, clunky body on frame vehicles with decently tuned suspension.

Watch out for turbo V6 Macan models (Macan S, GTS and Turbo). They eat engines.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2023, 11:33:31 am »

lol, as a toy, have at it, buy whatever you think is cool and is going to give you the most motivation to tinker with it and enjoy it.

Your dad's Denali should have rear air leveling & GM magna-ride. It's a full frame truck with a torsion bar and a live rear axle, so it has it's limitations, but should still ride very comfortably, even with the big wheels. If someone has by-passed the magna-ride and rear air in favor of the pickup truck stuff - then yeah, it's going to ride like a pickup. 

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2023, 01:27:02 pm »

lol, as a toy, have at it, buy whatever you think is cool and is going to give you the most motivation to tinker with it and enjoy it.

Your dad's Denali should have rear air leveling & GM magna-ride. It's a full frame truck with a torsion bar and a live rear axle, so it has it's limitations, but should still ride very comfortably, even with the big wheels. If someone has by-passed the magna-ride and rear air in favor of the pickup truck stuff - then yeah, it's going to ride like a pickup.

He has owned since new and it has always had a flinty ride. I think GM put more aggressive shock rates to help button down all that unspring mass of the 20" wheels. Not sure it has magna ride (his STS did and I was a big fan). I know it does have the self levelling rear.  It handles well (well for a big BOF, relatively flat) but it doesn't have the ride quality of a standard Yukon same vintage rolling 17s. The LR4's ride is on another planet compared to it but of course she wallows more when it has to change direction. It's riding on double wishbones with air springs  front and rear so that isn't really a fair comparison. I may have answered my own question.

Wifey needs to give me her car and get something else.  ;D

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-39
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2023, 09:16:22 am »
Recently did the rear shocks on the Yukon. Regular shocks are ~$475 each plus the air compressor for self leveling. Magnaride shocks on the other hand are ~$1000 each. Regular shocks with 18" high profile rubber mitigates much of the flinty ride, though Magnaride shocks are clearly superior for handling low speed impact harshness. I would say that 20" and 22" on these BOF vehicles call for the Magnaride set up.