Author Topic: 2015 Volvo V60 T6 R-Design  (Read 4883 times)

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1160
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
Re: 2015 Volvo V60 T6 R-Design
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2020, 05:06:48 pm »
Fellas, thanks so much for all the feedback – really appreciate it!

Wow, I’m happy to read the shared opinions re: the warranty are so unanimous; i.e. it’s not worth it! The price on the car seems reasonable and comfortably within budget, so I would have enough left over for a warranty - if it were necessary - or for incidental repairs as they came up. It’s more just the principle of the thing: nobody wants to feel like they're being fleeced.

Haha, appreciate the comments on the Red. Objectively, from a pure practicality standpoint, I mostly just dislike the “cop-bait” and “thief-bait” aspect of it. (and I realize the answers there are “well, don’t drive like a dumbass” and “don’t park it somewhere unsafe, like a dumbass). I do agree, though, it does seem to ‘work’ on the R-design, for sure. We shall see. And beyond that, I'm a low-key person and love a good Sleeper, and this one is, uh, not exactly that  ;D

Guy, thanks for your insight – I do recall both you and Mmret had this car, right? Glad you still have good memories of it!

Re: the tight back seats, yep: definitely a consideration. Like the spare tire omission, some unfortunate packaging there, but it's OK for right now. (single and no kids) Frankly, i'm used to it anyway, as my Legacy GT had the exact same problem: plenty of room up front, Impreza-esque in the back.

The other other niggle I have is with the tire/wheel combo (and aforementioned lack of spare). It comes with separate winter rims/tires, which i'm pleased about, and waiting to hear back from dealer what size those are. But the summer ones that it's on now are 235/40/19's and I'm not thrilled with the resultant lack of tire sidewall; the ride is comfy enough, but I'm skeptical about durability. Vancouver roads are pretty good, but still. For you guys with experience with thinner tires: am I overthinking this? I've inquired with the dealer to possibly switch those out for 18's, but she's suggesting that 18's may not clear the R-design brakes (which seems untrue, as 18's seem to be available on tire rack and elsewhere, so I will push back).

Noted on the Indy - yup, some good ones in town, will be giving them my business!

And yes, if and when deal goes thru, will look fwd to Show & Shining the bejeezus out of RDSLD (frontrunner for nickname ;)

Thanks again guys and sorry for the ramble - it's been 11 years since i've been this close to buying a car, clearly i'm stoked ;D

Yes, had one just like that and loved it.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2020, 06:32:32 pm »
Would rock a V60 R Design with the smooth I6T in a second. Especially in that Polestar blue or red.  :o Too bad no manual...

Interviewing with local Volvo dealer for a sales job today, fingers crossed I will be selling them by the end of the week. NEED A JOB. I am a fan of Volvo, I would be happy selling them.

Believe it or not, I'm actually looking fwd to having an autobox this time around - kinda fits the roadtrip/'highway bruiser' usage case that I'm going for.

Hope your interview goes well!

Yes, had one just like that and loved it.

Right on and great to hear  8)  P.S. did you have 19-inch wheels and, if so, how did you manage?

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2020, 07:02:37 pm »
My 2015 was on 18's. My current one is on 19's, exact same size as yours, 235-40/19. No problem so far, and the roads in Quebec are not great either. If I was you I'd stick with them.

I do run 18's in the winter.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2020, 07:20:50 pm »
My 2015 was on 18's. My current one is on 19's, exact same size as yours, 235-40/19. No problem so far, and the roads in Quebec are not great either. If I was you I'd stick with them.

I do run 18's in the winter.

Thanks Guy, that's very helpful to know. Ha, yes, as a former user of Montreal roads, I sympathize!

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2020, 08:36:15 pm »
Would rock a V60 R Design with the smooth I6T in a second. Especially in that Polestar blue or red.  :o Too bad no manual...

Interviewing with local Volvo dealer for a sales job today, fingers crossed I will be selling them by the end of the week. NEED A JOB. I am a fan of Volvo, I would be happy selling them.

Which dealer?
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2020, 08:56:54 pm »
Go for it!

The colour is fantastic.

Engine and transmission are solid.  As it ages, watch out for stupid electronic crap - typical Euro car weak point.  My Dad's old 2002 S80 always started, ran well, and stopped fine, but over time lots of electric accessories acted up, but never affected basic drivability.  Mind you, it was 16 years old by the time he replaced it with a newer S80.

Over the time I've had the (2013) C30, I've had to replace the A/C compressor (about 2-months ago, on my dime), and the sunroof switch died (fixed under warranty).

Brakes used to be a Volvo niggle (the C30 eats rear pads - a design fault - rotors are too small for the weigh of the car), but I think they solved it with these S/V 60s (when Geely took over, they included 5 years of free brake work as part of the warranty to prove their confidence in the brakes - after an initial disappointment with a warranty claim, I got my money's worth 3 times).

As others have said, do the inspection, ignore the warranty, find a great Volvo/Euro indie mechanic, enjoy the hell out of it, and watch out for speeding tickets!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 08:55:59 pm by Scaerio »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2020, 09:05:45 pm »
I just realized this was a V60 not a V70. Whoops. When was the V70 last offered? 2010?  ;D

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2020, 09:10:54 pm »
I just realized this was a V60 not a V70. Whoops. When was the V70 last offered? 2010?  ;D

The XC version was around until 2016, not sure about the others.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2020, 05:34:17 pm »
R design V70 P3

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2020, 11:02:22 pm »
Go for it!

The colour is fantastic.

Engine and transmission are solid.  As it ages, watch out for stupid electronic crap - typical Euro car weak point.  My Dad's old 2002 S80 always started, ran well, and stopped fine, but over time lots of electric accessories acted up, but never affected basic drivability.  Mind you, it was 16 years old by the time he replaced it with a newer S80.

Over the time I've had the (2013) C30, I've had to replace the A/C compressor (about 2-months ago, on my dime), and the sunroof switch died (fixed under warranty).

Brakes used to be a Volvo niggle (the C30 eats rear pads - a design fault - rotors are too small for the weigh of the car), but I think they solved it with these S/V 60s (when Geely took over, they included 5 years of free brake work as part of the warranty to prove their confidence in the brakes - after an initial disappointment with a warranty claim, I got my money's worth 3 times).

As others have said, do the inspection, ignore the warranty, find a great Volvo/Euro indie mechanic, enjoy the hell out of it, and watch out for speeding tickets!

Sorry, Scaerio, I meant to reply earlier: thank you for all this info and well-noted. BTW that C30 is one of my all-time favourite designs - a modern classic, IMHO. Yup, will be sure to keep an eye out for issues early and often, and double-noted on the speeding tickets!

Yeah, I think the P3 V70 was offered 2008-2010. And never in T6 trim over here, sadly - that would've been a heckuva car.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2020, 01:58:39 am »
Sorry, Scaerio, I meant to reply earlier: thank you for all this info and well-noted. BTW that C30 is one of my all-time favourite designs - a modern classic, IMHO. Yup, will be sure to keep an eye out for issues early and often, and double-noted on the speeding tickets!

No worries!  I hope I didn't dissuade you - just wanted to give you a couple of "heads-up."  And thanks for the comments on the C30.  I would love to keep mine forever, and do a few gentle mods to it - Polestar upgrade the engine, and give it some of the R-Design treatment, that is, body-coloured side skirts and wheel arches, and add the fog lights.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 02:05:57 am by Scaerio »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2020, 02:37:41 am »

No worries!  I hope I didn't dissuade you - just wanted to give you a couple of "heads-up."  And thanks for the comments on the C30.  I would love to keep mine forever, and do a few gentle mods to it - Polestar upgrade the engine, and give it some of the R-Design treatment, that is, body-coloured side skirts and wheel arches, and add the fog lights.
Well let's get on it then! :)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2020, 07:38:25 am »
Go for it!

The colour is fantastic.

Yeah, I think the P3 V70 was offered 2008-2010. And never in T6 trim over here, sadly - that would've been a heckuva car.

On my wife 2012 XC60, the right side mirror stopped flipping in when locking the car. We just desabled the Function on the other one as well. At one point the fuel gage quitted. Dealer spoke about replacing the fuel tank altogether for $1500 or so. We just used it as is, resetting the trip meter on every fill up and looking to refuel at about 400 km just to be super safe. Then after a couple of months, it came back to life by itself.

Yes some minor electric-electronic issues are possible but unlikely to compromise the driveability of the car.