Author Topic: Average 'Life Expectancy' (KMs) of a 2013 VW Golf 2.5 L Sportline Wagon?  (Read 10047 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
The 2.5 and 2.Slow should be good for at least 300,000km. It's the electronic problems that develop that are a nightmare to diagnose and fix.

On a MK5 or 6? What kind of nightmare electronic problems are these known to develop?

My friend's MK4 blinker didn't work as of 2008, she has to manually blink it.  :rofl2: I don't know.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Thanks, Tauri13 - for some reason I could not find that kind of info., so thanks for this.

Don’t listen to tauri as he is anti VW and many other things not Ford.

VWs easily last 200-300K kms.
I am not anti VW, just being realistic here - a simple search on autotrader for 200k kms VWs returns only 134 results — that’s for ALL VWs

Then you look at a brand like Toyota - 409, Honda - 498, Ford - 561....by all margins even BMW is better 118 cars still out there.

I also did a search on AT and found 204 VWs over 200,000 kms so I've already proven you wrong.  You also can't use what is for sale on AT as your basis for facts. That has to be the worst argument you have ever made.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
Yeah.  Tauri, bringing all the facts today.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Maybe VW owners tend to keep their cars longer? I noticed say Lexus IS300 seems to have a disproportionately small number of ads compared to the number I actually see out there, indicating they hang on for dear life to their vehicles.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Maybe VW owners tend to keep their cars longer? I noticed say Lexus IS300 seems to have a disproportionately small number of ads compared to the number I actually see out there, indicating they hang on for dear life to their vehicles.
They don’t, junkyards will reveal the actual reality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Thanks, Tauri13 - for some reason I could not find that kind of info., so thanks for this.

I am not anti VW, just being realistic here - a simple search on autotrader for 200k kms VWs returns only 134 results — that’s for ALL VWs

Then you look at a brand like Toyota - 409, Honda - 498, Ford - 561....by all margins even BMW is better 118 cars still out there.

You do realize that way, way more Toyotas, Hondas, and Fords are sold, right???

Also high KM cars tend to show up on Kijiji, not AutoTrader.
And you realize there are way way less BMWs sold right?

Hence why I added them in there - by all margins, there should be at least 300 VWs.

To me that’s an obvious indication of below average life.

I’ve seen many ads of people trying to sell their VWs - usually around 120-160k kms - for 2 reason, 1- DSG blew up and its expensive as hell to replace 2- Turbo blew up and its expensive to replace...I’ve also seen some 2.5s eat up the chain, so full engine failure...

The op should do his own unbiased search online - at least for awareness of the risks he is signing up to and potential costs involved.

If the price here was $4k, I’d say it was a decent deal....save another $4-5k of what’s to come as insurance.

Good thing the car in question has neither a turbo, nor a DSG, then.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

I also did a search on AT and found 204 VWs over 200,000 kms so I've already proven you wrong.  You also can't use what is for sale on AT as your basis for facts. That has to be the worst argument you have ever made.
Not sure why your results would differ from mine, here it is:

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Not that it means anything, but I came up with 399 when I did a search.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
A manual golf wagon will easily do 250K km if looked after. It's not a complex car.
Well bear in mind, a clutch replacement is what...$3.5k?

No idea. I didn't drive it pretending like it had a V8 in it.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Not sure why your results would differ from mine, here it is:

The fact that you made this statement shows you have no idea about data and searches.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Not that it means anything, but I came up with 399 when I did a search.
No filters at all...it still doesn’t change much, once I remove the filters Toyota, Honda and Ford (and GM too) have a huge spike.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
It sure what all the fuss is about.

The car will be frickin fine, man. This isn’t a 2006 Alpina.

:thumbup: :thumbup:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve, '04 G35 Coupe 6MT

Don't you know? This is the Rocket forum, where if you buy anything that isn't a Toyota/Lexus product, it'll immediately break!

Just saying - I've now put almost 8,000km on my depreciated Aston Martin and nothing has actually gone wrong! It's also been significantly more reliable than said Lexus/Toyota product  ;D
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7200
    • View Profile

Just saying - I've now put almost 8,000km on my depreciated Aston Martin and nothing has actually gone wrong! It's also been significantly more reliable than said Lexus/Toyota product  ;D

I'm reasonably sure you could put only 8,000kms on a Range Rover (or Bentley) over the course of a few years and it would be good.   ;D   :rofl: :rofl2:

My first reply to this thread too!   :rofl: :rofl2:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 10:21:53 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG

Yup...

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7200
    • View Profile

Yup...

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

90K isn't very much IMO

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
A manual golf wagon will easily do 250K km if looked after. It's not a complex car.

How did you come up with that number?
Mr Pickypants

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile

Yeah, no way a clutch job costs that much. Maybe at dealer prices? Find a good indy and you are fine. My mom's Jetta TDI needed a clutch last year and all in with OEM clutch kit it was around $1500 at local indy shop.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
^^ That sounds more reasonable.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Yeah, no way a clutch job costs that much. Maybe at dealer prices? Find a good indy and you are fine. My mom's Jetta TDI needed a clutch last year and all in with OEM clutch kit it was around $1500 at local indy shop.
Yeah dealer...

But even off dealer, aren’t parts alone like $800-$1000 tax in?