Author Topic: Used 2012 Honda Civic opinions  (Read 9058 times)

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
Re: Used 2012 Honda Civic opinions
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2020, 07:30:37 pm »
If you are looking for options, I’d consider a Hyundai Sonata...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I should mule over, just got to fight my badge snobbery over the brand.  ;)

I constantly see late model Sonatas and Optimas (2011-up) at auction with bad engines. Common problem, they grenade without warning. Not saying they all do but do your homework for sure. I'd let your brand snobbery win, stay with Honda or Toyota unless you can get a Korean with a warranty.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 07:33:11 pm by revalations »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2020, 07:31:32 pm »
Seven Grand for a 2012 with less than 100 000kms?  That sounds too good to be true.  Just for reference, I'd expect a car with twice the kms to go for that price. 

Check to make sure it's not a rebuild or anything.  If there's nothing wrong with it, well damn, that's a great price.

EDIT:  Make sure it's 95 000kms, and not 95 000miles.  From the one picture of the dash, it almost looks like the speedometer is set to MPH (on these cars with the digital speedo you can switch from MPH to KPH, and it also changes the odometer).

95 000 miles is 150 000kms, which would be about average the price.  $7000 is still a good price for a Civic with 150 000kms that will still have plenty of life left in it.

It's been in accident. Now I'm off to look at 2013 Corolla Manual and a 2014 Honda Civic.

Corolla manuals are very good value. The price is a decent chunk lower than a comparable auto version.

Tomorrow I'm going to put money down on a 2013 Toyota Corolla, Manual. 101,000, $8,500. Today. I drove everything you can think of. 2011 Ford Focus, Honda Fit and Honda Civic no air, all Manual. There is nothing much in them. The Focus steering is quick, The corolla, has really long throws. The fit, was really sporty, But had damage to the front.

Black one in London??

If in London, you might try dealing on this one.....  https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/london/2015-toyota-corolla-ce/1483179836
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2020, 07:33:18 pm »
Seven Grand for a 2012 with less than 100 000kms?  That sounds too good to be true.  Just for reference, I'd expect a car with twice the kms to go for that price. 

Check to make sure it's not a rebuild or anything.  If there's nothing wrong with it, well damn, that's a great price.

EDIT:  Make sure it's 95 000kms, and not 95 000miles.  From the one picture of the dash, it almost looks like the speedometer is set to MPH (on these cars with the digital speedo you can switch from MPH to KPH, and it also changes the odometer).

95 000 miles is 150 000kms, which would be about average the price.  $7000 is still a good price for a Civic with 150 000kms that will still have plenty of life left in it.

It's been in accident. Now I'm off to look at 2013 Corolla Manual and a 2014 Honda Civic.

Corolla manuals are very good value. The price is a decent chunk lower than a comparable auto version.

Tomorrow I'm going to put money down on a 2013 Toyota Corolla, Manual. 101,000, $8,500. Today. I drove everything you can think of. 2011 Ford Focus, Honda Fit and Honda Civic no air, all Manual. There is nothing much in them. The Focus steering is quick, The corolla, has really long throws. The fit, was really sporty, But had damage to the front.

Excellent choice.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +38/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2020, 10:29:10 pm »
I constantly see late model Sonatas and Optimas (2011-up) at auction with bad engines. Common problem, they grenade without warning. Not saying they all do but do your homework for sure. I'd let your brand snobbery win, stay with Honda or Toyota unless you can get a Korean with a warranty.

Yes, KIA and Hyundai are just not there. I really don't like the way they drive either. I would never buy one, TBH. But They look okay. Accept the latest Hyundai's.

Black one in London??

Yes. That is the one. I can only comfortable spend $9,500 max. I've been laid off until this Covid blows over.

Excellent choice.

I drove 10 different cars today. I think overall it's the best. Modern cars all drive pretty much the same. I miss the old days.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2020, 10:49:28 pm »

Yes, KIA and Hyundai are just not there. I really don't like the way they drive either. I would never buy one, TBH. But They look okay. Accept the latest Hyundai's.

Black one in London??

Yes. That is the one. I can only comfortable spend $9,500 max. I've been laid off until this Covid blows over.

Excellent choice.

I drove 10 different cars today. I think overall it's the best. Modern cars all drive pretty much the same. I miss the old days.

Won't hurt to try and deal on that 2015 model...the worse they can say is NO.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2020, 11:14:24 pm »

A manual Focus is actually a good idea...decent little car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2020, 11:41:58 pm »

Yer, sure. Believe me I think offended a lot of dealers today, by saying no. I never been afraid of that.

The one I drove today was awful. It had so many issue. On top of the head, there was oil everywhere. Just where the spark plugs covers are, It was swimming in oil. The salesman, just stood there and said nothing. Hoping that I would think it was normal. Ford Focus, isn't a bad car, but only in manual, if its a 12 and above. 2010, and 2011 focus are decent  and I can save a few grand, if I could find one. But tomorrow, I want to put this to bed, It is really hard looking for a car during a pandemic, I need to stay home and isolate, because, the more your out there, the more your exposed.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2020, 11:43:06 pm »

Yer, sure. Believe me I think offended a lot of dealers today, by saying no. I never been afraid of that.

The one I drove today was awful. It had so many issue. On top of the head, there was oil everywhere. Just where the spark plugs covers are, It was swimming in oil. The salesman, just stood there and said nothing. Hoping that I would think it was normal. Ford Focus, isn't a bad car, but only in manual, if its a 12 and above. 2010, and 2011 focus are decent  and I can save a few grand, if I could find one. But tomorrow, I want to put this to bed, It is really hard looking for a car during a pandemic, I need to stay home and isolate, because, the more your out there, the more your exposed.

The 2015 is a better car.  I was impressed when I had one for a loaner.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2020, 08:38:45 am »
If your buying a 2 year old certified BMW I could see dealing with a dealer. But I do not know why you would be looking for a used car of this age from dealers. Dealers are not your friends. Dealers know how to cover up flaws in cars and make crappy cars look good. They clean them up and try and cover up abuse. Shady ones can turn back odometer. Older cars like that might come with a 30 day warranty if any at all. Most likely just a drive train warranty. I been driving for over 40 years and I have only had one repair that would be consider a drive train issue. So much can go wrong that is not engine or tranny related.

Buying off a dealer's lot you do not know where car came from. Quite often bought at auction. Lets face it it is their business to sell cars and they know ever trick in the book.

Try and find a private sale from original owner. You get to meet who drove the car. You get a feel for how they live. Like if their house is a pig pen, dirty and run down there is a good chance they are not too particular about looking after a car. They should have all purchase documents and should have all mtce records. Ask the owner some questions and you will get a feel for the car's true history. In Quebec you save one tax buying private. On top of that you will most likely pay less.

There is a good chance you see the car for what it is. No tricks.

When shopping privately you must trust your instincts. If something does not feel right or if the owner's story does not hold water run away.

When I go on Kigigi I search private sales. Even then you have to watch out for curbsiders. Watch out for people with multiple listings. Google their phone number. Meet them at their home not in a parking lot. But best of all the paperwork tells the story. If they do not have the paperwork for title or Mtce history then there is a issue.

Not to say that all dealers are bad or that all private sellers are good. But the odds are much much much more in your favour buying private.

Always bring the car to your mechanic for a complete inspection.
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2020, 12:15:25 pm »
If your buying a 2 year old certified BMW I could see dealing with a dealer. But I do not know why you would be looking for a used car of this age from dealers. Dealers are not your friends. Dealers know how to cover up flaws in cars and make crappy cars look good. They clean them up and try and cover up abuse. Shady ones can turn back odometer. Older cars like that might come with a 30 day warranty if any at all. Most likely just a drive train warranty. I been driving for over 40 years and I have only had one repair that would be consider a drive train issue. So much can go wrong that is not engine or tranny related.

Buying off a dealer's lot you do not know where car came from. Quite often bought at auction. Lets face it it is their business to sell cars and they know ever trick in the book.

Try and find a private sale from original owner. You get to meet who drove the car. You get a feel for how they live. Like if their house is a pig pen, dirty and run down there is a good chance they are not too particular about looking after a car. They should have all purchase documents and should have all mtce records. Ask the owner some questions and you will get a feel for the car's true history. In Quebec you save one tax buying private. On top of that you will most likely pay less.

When shopping privately you must trust your instincts. If something does not feel right or if the owner's story does not hold water run away.

When I go on Kigigi I search private sales. Even then you have to watch out for curbsiders. Watch out for people with multiple listings. Google their phone number. Meet them at their home not in a parking lot. But best of all the paperwork tells the story. If they do not have the paperwork for title or Mtce history then there is a issue.

Not to say that all dealers are bad or that all private sellers are good. But the odds are much much much more in your favour buying private.

I also used to have my own used car business in the 1990's. I've been looking at private too. It is really hard to get them, the vendor, to let you take the car to friendly mechanics. but really good advice thank-you. As of this morning things have changed. I can't now buy anything.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2020, 12:48:23 pm »

I also used to have my own used car business in the 1990's. I've been looking at private too. It is really hard to get them, the vendor, to let you take the car to friendly mechanics. but really good advice thank-you. As of this morning things have changed. I can't now buy anything.

Yikes.... Having owned a used car business you may have taken great offence to my post. Foot in mouth again :-[

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2020, 05:34:13 pm »
Yikes.... Having owned a used car business you may have taken great offence to my post. Foot in mouth again :-[

Hey, it is really good advice this is a car board. Most of us don't bite, and I'm not the only one who is reading this thread. I more embarrassed that I started this thread, plan to buy a car, after being told that, I was going to be employed to until may. Now, I have no car, no job. thank my lucky stars my boss phoned me and told me I was no longer employed before I made the plunge. Dark times are coming folks.  :-[

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2020, 10:20:44 am »
I coached neighbour kid for his first car, and he ended up with a 2015 Focus SE Black edition, manual, low km's (60-ish), for around 9k$, at a dealer. The last Focus is a terrific driver's car. Kid's is same colour / wheels as this one:

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2020, 11:45:43 am »
I coached neighbour kid for his first car, and he ended up with a 2015 Focus SE Black edition, manual, low km's (60-ish), for around 9k$, at a dealer. The last Focus is a terrific driver's car. Kid's is same colour / wheels as this one:

Beautiful, Great in manual. The focus got so much better after 2014. Still anyone who doesn't know, avoid the automatics. 

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2020, 12:19:40 pm »

Beautiful, Great in manual. The focus got so much better after 2014. Still anyone who doesn't know, avoid the automatics.

Ford's DCT was plagued from Day 1, and there's a massive recall / buy back in the US for these. I tested / leased a total of 7 Focus (Focci?) of this generation, stick DCT EV, and they're great driver's cars, good on fuel too. The EV is especially quick off the line, but in all of them it's the steering that feels fantastic.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2020, 05:01:16 pm »
Well I just in the process of buying a 2011 Toyota Camry. it's low millage, I can't live without a car. Going to sign tomorrow, if all goes well. It's odd way to buy a car in a pandemic, that is for sure. You have to buy online.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 12:41:38 am by Ontariodriver »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2020, 05:02:30 pm »
Well I just in the process of buying a 2011 Toyota Camry. it's low millage, 10, all in. I can't live without a car. Going to sign tomorrow.
Surprised you didn't go Camry hybrid

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2020, 05:19:29 pm »
Well I just in the process of buying a 2011 Toyota Camry. it's low millage, 10, all in. I can't live without a car. Going to sign tomorrow.
Surprised you didn't go Camry hybrid

I couldn't travel far, only had ebike for looking. I've spent  weeks and weeks looking. This is best I could find.

There are no Hybrid near me. Just look. 2011 is the best year. Some say it green, i think it's blue. I like the colour, better than boring grey.  Also this the only model of camry I wanted. not the 07,08,09.  But the last year of production.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 12:42:36 am by Ontariodriver »

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2020, 05:22:01 pm »
Solid buy!  :iagree:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2020, 05:23:23 pm »
V6?