Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Mercedes-Benz SLK 55 AMG  (Read 3465 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2013 Mercedes-Benz SLK 55 AMG
« on: August 07, 2012, 04:08:42 am »

In the words of Mike Schlee, "More power never hurts."

Read More...

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Mercedes-Benz SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 11:30:44 am »
I test drove the SLK 250 with sport package and 6 spd manual when it first arrived in Canada... they had to get it from MB headquarter coz none of the dealer ordered one for their lot

surprisingly, the shifting action for the manual gearbox is very very good...almost better than the 3 series!!!...and its not that slow if you keep the turbo in boost

however, didn't like the suspension even in sport mode and how big the car felt behind the wheel (felt like I was driving a E class coupe minus the rear seats)...not very nimble considering its a roadster, the C coupe has more sporting feel

the engine and 6 spd manual combo is top notch....if only they offer it in the C-class coupe... wishful thinking   ;)

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 03:27:45 pm »
 Apparently, this is the smallest and least expensive of M/Bs sporty coupes...How frackin' much do the top two cost??? Holy smokes...100 grand for this little critter? Wow, wow, wow....All this and a crappy radio without steering wheel controls?  Yoiks...Thank geebuz I can't come close to affording this...It sher is purdy, though...Thanks  Jack

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 04:30:07 pm »
Apparently, this is the smallest and least expensive of M/Bs sporty coupes...How frackin' much do the top two cost??? Holy smokes...100 grand for this little critter? Wow, wow, wow....All this and a crappy radio without steering wheel controls?  Yoiks...Thank geebuz I can't come close to affording this...It sher is purdy, though...Thanks  Jack

It does have steering wheel controls. But the rest of your point is taken.

In any case, $100k for this does strike one as being a bit steep. The C63 is much more palatable but of course, I imagine the SLK55 buyer wants to be seen roof down.

SL and CL AMGs got to be eye-watering prices. Makes that C63 look like a bargain.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 04:33:25 pm »

In any case, $100k for this does strike one as being a bit steep. The C63 is much more palatable but of course, I imagine the SLK55 buyer wants to be seen roof down.

SL and CL AMGs got to be eye-watering prices. Makes that C63 look like a bargain.

The sound makes it all worth it.  And like I said...when compared to an automatic Corvette Convertible fully loaded, pricing is pretty much on par.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 04:37:49 pm »

the thing is I would proudly drive an SL or CL or a C63....the SLK....no way, not for $30 grand, let alone $100K. Never liked these things, or the boxsters, if you want something in a sporty roadster, get a Miata, if you want a fast convertible, buy a Shelby Cobra. I know the AMGs make fantastic noises, but this would be the only one that I can say I dont like.

The sound makes it all worth it.  And like I said...when compared to an automatic Corvette Convertible fully loaded, pricing is pretty much on par.

Yeah, but a Z06 or Gran Sport Vette would make this thing look slow....and Corvettes dont exactly sound like a Prius.
Lighten up Francis.....