Author Topic: Nokian WRG 3  (Read 3869 times)

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +7/-157
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Scion xB
Nokian WRG 3
« on: November 12, 2017, 03:06:03 pm »
I have decided on the Nokian WRG 3    225/40 R 18  for my 2012 Scion xb.   I am hoping to get decent all round performance.  I like the fact that I will use these year round.   :)

Thoughts please?

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
Re: Nokian WRG 3
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 03:46:39 pm »
Consumers Report thinks it's a decent tire.

I hope you have better luck running a 40 series tire than I did.  I had a set of 40 series tires on my monster (V8) Miata and bent three of the four rims in just over a year.
Damn potholes.  >:(
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 04:14:56 pm »
Unless things have really changed,, spring for true winters. The all weathers both me and my parents have had are a pretty good interior BC winter tire, but not made for grip in really cold weather. And in Edmonton with the polished intersections and the occasional freezing rain you need all the grip possible, especially with 2WD.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 06:22:59 pm »
Buy the Toyo Celsius instead...similar performance to the Nokians but they cost a lot cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 10:59:37 pm »
If Toyo couldn’t manage to build a good winter tire, the Toyo Observe G-02 Plus, I’d hate to see how their all weather tire does in winter conditions.

If you need to save money, the Nordman WR is the way to go. I was fairly happy with the ones i had on my Odyssey. But it seems you can afford the WR G3 which is better in all conditions.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-433
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 01:14:19 am »
If Toyo couldn’t manage to build a good winter tire, the Toyo Observe G-02 Plus, I’d hate to see how their all weather tire does in winter conditions.

If you need to save money, the Nordman WR is the way to go. I was fairly happy with the ones i had on my Odyssey. But it seems you can afford the WR G3 which is better in all conditions.

I have heard you say beforeyou were not a fan of the Toyos. I find it puzzling as the G-02 plus Open Country I am running on my LR4 have been eevrything the Blizzak DM-V1 was. Not only that but they wear like iron with decent sidewalls for a lower rater speed winter. What didn't you like?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 01:19:04 am »
The longevity was the only thing good about them. 6 winters. That long wearing rubber however provided grip that was only marginally better than all season tires.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-433
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 11:15:35 am »
The longevity was the only thing good about them. 6 winters. That long wearing rubber however provided grip that was only marginally better than all season tires.

Fair enough. The LR is so heavy perhaps it just forces that rubber into being soft. They do drive like an old school Hakka though with initial lateral slip but good grip on the throttle. Stopping in marginal stuff they seem similar to the Blizzaks but then again maybe it is the weight. Discontinued now so I guess a moot point. Back to the WRGs..

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 07:52:43 pm »
Done at Kal Tire.  99  st and 58 Ave  Edmonton.   ( Actually I forgot to check this thread.  :banghead: )

WRG 3 $264 each.   Total  $ 1309.00
When I saw the bill they did a wheel alignment without my consent.  I am gonna have a chat with the manager.
Car runs smoother than before.  Previous tires were all season Yokohama's.
-------------------------------------------------
This is the first time I am using any kind if winter or all weather tires on my personal vehicle.  When I was driving 340 km a day for Dynalife DX medical labs I failed to notice any difference between winters and three season tires.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 07:55:31 pm by duck »

Offline Bulkley

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Crosstrek, 2023 Leaf
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 04:06:51 pm »
My Outlander has been wearing WRG 3's for a year now.  I'm quite pleased with them.   They are quieter than I had expected.  They behaved very well throughout the summer.  Lately we have lots of snow and these tires are getting us wherever we want to go.  Last week we drove up to Big White ski area in snow all the way. 

Understand, these are not snow or ice tires; they are a bundle of compromises.  They remind me of the early all seasons with their chunky tread.  They have good snow traction but real deep tread  snow tires would be better.  The WRG 3's function on slippery surfaces but an ice tire would be better. 

I'm retired.  When I get up in the morning and the world looks really crappy I can wait a few hours for the weather to clear.   Those with jobs can't choose; they have to go.  If that is your case a set of ice tires or deep tread snows might be better. 

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 06:30:25 am »
My Outlander has been wearing WRG 3's for a year now.  I'm quite pleased with them.   They are quieter than I had expected.  They behaved very well throughout the summer.  Lately we have lots of snow and these tires are getting us wherever we want to go.  Last week we drove up to Big White ski area in snow all the way. 

Understand, these are not snow or ice tires; they are a bundle of compromises.  They remind me of the early all seasons with their chunky tread.  They have good snow traction but real deep tread  snow tires would be better.  The WRG 3's function on slippery surfaces but an ice tire would be better. 

I'm retired.  When I get up in the morning and the world looks really crappy I can wait a few hours for the weather to clear.   Those with jobs can't choose; they have to go.  If that is your case a set of ice tires or deep tread snows might be better.

Thank you for your feedback.

I am currently on disability so I do not have to get to work on time as yet.  I have a 2012 Scion xb with modified suspension and brakes which were done by the previous owner.   I have to use 225/40R18 tires.  They are low profile tires so instead of buying another set of expensive rims the all weather tires was a great compromise.