Author Topic: This Ajusto Thing  (Read 19926 times)

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
Re: This Ajusto Thing
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2014, 02:30:37 pm »
Interesting responses here.

I've been using one of these devices for 5 years or so, and actually shopped around my insurance when my previous provider stopped offering one.  Seems like an easy way to save money.

I don't even think about how or when I'm driving and I seem to average a 10-15% discount on each renewal from having the device.

I guess I somewhat understand the "Big Brother" fear, but really I think that's mostly just paranoia.   Seems akin to avoiding blood tests so "the man" can't track your health!

And besides, this data will all be tracked and stored by the car itself in the near future...if isn't already in some models?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2014, 09:12:49 pm »
 No way, I would be paying 500% more. Might as well castrate me while they are at it.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1249/-7194
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2014, 09:13:56 pm »
No way, I would be paying 500% more. Might as well castrate me while they are at it.

Well certainly you wouldn't want one in the TT-RS or S2000. 

But having one in the Venza wouldn't hurt I'm guessing.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2014, 09:19:39 am »

Can't be used against you.  Minimum discount is 0% and it's basically impossible to achieve even if you average 200mph during rush hour each day.

I assure you, I don't drive slow and I always commute during rush hours and still somehow get 10+% off each renewal.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2014, 09:24:18 am »

Can't be used against you.  Minimum discount is 0% and it's basically impossible to achieve even if you average 200mph during rush hour each day.

I assure you, I don't drive slow and I always commute during rush hours and still somehow get 10+% off each renewal.

sure, it is now.   but they probably won't remain like that.  too much info, too tempting to use it against you.   

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2014, 09:32:12 am »
I've thought about it -- cause I wonder what kind of discount I would get for my car just sitting in my driveway 90% of the time!

But I only pay $800 a year for 2 drivers right now, can it really be any cheaper?

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2014, 09:39:04 am »
I've thought about it -- cause I wonder what kind of discount I would get for my car just sitting in my driveway 90% of the time!

But I only pay $800 a year for 2 drivers right now, can it really be any cheaper?

Yes.  Because those devices are simply calculated on top of your standard insurance rate.  I.e. they calculate whatever your rate would be without the device ($800 today) and then apply the discount (even if it's minimal).

The conspiracy theorists may not believe this.

I suppose it depends on how much you value your privacy.  Me?  I'd sell nude photos of myself if anyone were willing to pay $10 for em.   So I'm not concerned with a couple Indian guys and an insurance database knowing I accelerate and brake hard.

YMMV

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2014, 09:44:34 am »
I already get tons of discounts though.  Like 50% if I believe my statement.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2014, 09:50:02 am »
I already get tons of discounts though.  Like 50% if I believe my statement.

Good, but irrelevant.  They will still calculate your insurance and all usual discounts (multi vehicle, age, record, etc) just as they would and come up with a number.  And then they will add the adjusto discount on top.   

EDIT:  Sorry, but maybe you're implying you'd have to switch providers to get access to Adjusto and then question whether this new provider could provide as cheap an offer overall?  If so, then yes, that's an open question that you'd have to shop around and see.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 09:51:51 am by evil_twin »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2014, 04:26:42 pm »
These devices don't track and log speed. They DO track braking forces however (how hard people brake is a better indicator of poor driving). They also track time of day use and miles travelled.

What's always bothered me is that if some douche cuts me off, I slam on the brakes to avoid a collision that is 0% my fault, then MY insurance goes up (relatively speaking).  That's just one beef.

...bigger beef is that I would feel like I'm limited on how/where/when I drive my car.  Sh!t, I'm out of eggs and dinner's in 30 mins.  Guess I should go out and get some eggs.  Oh wait, it's rush hour...those $4 eggs are going to cost me another $15 in insurance this month.  Fak.  Obviously not an exact science, but I don't like it.  I don't like feeling like I should run yellow lights, etc.

I think the potential for savings is outweighed by the potential for abuse.  I'm concerned that in a few years the "discount" will fall off and my rates will just go up. 

The one nice thing would be that it'd be really hard for the insurer to claim "material misrepresentation" if you say you drive 15km each way to work and then they use google maps to determine you actually drive 16km (yes, folks, we have a client being denied insurance because his work was actually 1km further from home than he told them it was).

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2014, 09:51:20 pm »
There's a guy in a VW Silver Golf 1.8T sedan that drives up my street when I leave for work. He's 60+ years of age, grey, bald, wears a set of coveralls of the yellow and orange variety that the City workers of Oakville or Burlington would wear. And, he drives me bananas. I swear he's got an adjusto thing in his car. Painfully slow acceleration, just creeping along under the speed limit or just at, no abrupt deacelleration - rolling through stop signs. I'm sure he's calculating his discount as he drives along with a long line of people behind him.
Has anyone else come across drivers that you think have one of these adjusto units on board?
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2017, 09:08:32 am »
Time for an update on this thread. Is anyone else using this type of insurance device - hardware or software smartphone app?
Mrs. Railton and I have started using Novex " My Driving Discount" which we loaded onto each of our smartphones.
So far, I  am at a 14% discount but I find the system too sensitive for braking and especially accelerating.
Mrs. Railton received a message this weekend that they had terminated her service. She is investigating. She may not drive far enough each day.
Railton

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2017, 09:51:07 am »
They offered this device and discount for the 1LE and I declined, obviously.

:censor: the man.
Yes, we signed up as a more of science experiment than anything. You have to use the accelerator and brake like you are walking on eggshells. I've found that even a quick lane change is considered excessive acceleration.
Bogus.
Railton

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2017, 09:59:19 am »
Yeah, trust the guy that used data from those "devices" in order to deny claims when you need them...do not go for it.  Big Brother is always watching.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2017, 11:28:21 am »
I wouldn't do it on any car.  If you're rear-ended, the insurer can place blame on you rather than liability being a clear-cut determination.  There are fault-determination rules that suggest that's not the case, but those are the basis for determining liability, followed by the common law.  Telematics will be used to deny coverage, reduce claim payouts, etc.  I see no vehicle on which this should ever be installed.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2017, 12:03:19 pm »
I wouldn't do it on any car.  If you're rear-ended, the insurer can place blame on you rather than liability being a clear-cut determination.  There are fault-determination rules that suggest that's not the case, but those are the basis for determining liability, followed by the common law.  Telematics will be used to deny coverage, reduce claim payouts, etc.  I see no vehicle on which this should ever be installed.

My feelings exactly, at least when it comes to people with no pre-existing record of reckless driving. 

I do worry, though, that it might become mandatory one day.  It's not too much of a stretch to imagine such an outcome in 10 to 20 years.  Driverless cars, stricter outlook on road safety, road rage, growing number of vehicles, all causing what is optional today to become mandatory tomorrow. I could even see a future where the trackers are built-in at the factory.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2017, 12:14:57 pm »
^^^ Yup.  It's coming.  100% surveillance no matter what you're doing or where you are.  You will be on camera, your movements tracked and your actions recorded.  Drive 101 in the 100 zone?  Ticket in the mail.  This technology exists.  Tell an off-colour joke to some friends?  The video will be instantly uploaded to the internet and you will be publicly shamed.  Step out of line in any way at all?  Instant consequences.  All in the name of public safety and order.

This sustained intrusion into our lives is one major reason why I spend as much time in the backcountry as possible.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2017, 02:51:48 pm »
^^^ Yup.  It's coming.  100% surveillance no matter what you're doing or where you are.  You will be on camera, your movements tracked and your actions recorded.  Drive 101 in the 100 zone?  Ticket in the mail.  This technology exists.

And now with road sign recognition you won't have to worry about about speeding because the car will cap your speed. Oh so excited about the future.