Author Topic: Motorcycle Insurance  (Read 35141 times)

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
Re: Motorcycle Insurance
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2016, 12:31:38 am »
I want the SuperDuke 1290R.
You and me both, buddy!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2016, 12:35:57 am »

...many reviewers said the previous one was awful to drive at higher speeds (highway speeds) for any distances due to the amount of vibration it had..

I have no idea WTF those reviewers are talking about. No vibration in the footpegs, none felt through the hand grips and the mirrors weren't fuzzy from vibrations on the highway.

You want vibrations? Ride the old 640. It shook like a dog shitting a peach pit and your hands/feet would start to tingle after an hour on the highway.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2016, 11:40:14 am »

...many reviewers said the previous one was awful to drive at higher speeds (highway speeds) for any distances due to the amount of vibration it had..

I have no idea WTF those reviewers are talking about. No vibration in the footpegs, none felt through the hand grips and the mirrors weren't fuzzy from vibrations on the highway.

You want vibrations? Ride the old 640. It shook like a dog shitting a peach pit and your hands/feet would start to tingle after an hour on the highway.
as i said, it was the reviewers who said it...i've never ridden one myself, but pretty every review of the new one says it is much improved over the old one (they all agree the old bike was good, just that the new engine is much smoother).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2016, 11:52:54 am »

...many reviewers said the previous one was awful...

...they all agree the old bike was good...

???

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2016, 02:50:00 pm »

???
the bike as a whole was solid, just that the vibrations were quite bad at speed...essentially saying the new version really addressed the only negative in an otherwise excellent bike.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2016, 02:57:41 pm »

???
i just reread what i posted, and your quotes are poorly done...i'm not sure if you skimmed over what i posted and misread what i wrote, or you are trying to purposely misquote what i posted for whatever reason.

in the first part, you are taking my statement out of context as you didn't include the entire part, especially the important parts:

many reviewers said the previous one was awful to drive at higher speeds (highway speeds) for any distances due to the amount of vibration it had..

and the second part provides clarity when you read the entire part:

they all agree the old bike was good, just that the new engine is much smoother

i'm not sure what your point was of snipping a piece of what i said, taking my words out of context, and making it look like what i posted was contradictory, because it wasn't.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2016, 03:17:19 pm »
I guess I don't much care what these "many reviewers" have said (none of which have been linked to, BTW.)

Rrocket and I both owned bikes with this engine (the older 654cc one.) Don't know about him, but I put more than a few 500km highway days on mine. I never found the vibration level bad, let alone "awful." But I suppose it all depends on your expectations and what you're used to.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 11:52:53 am by HeliDriver »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2016, 03:46:59 pm »
I guess I don't much care what these "many reviewers" have said (none of which have been linked to, BTW.)

Rrocket and I both owned bikes with this engine (the older 654cc one.) Don't know about him, but I put more than a few 800km highway days on mine. I never found the vibration level bad, let alone "awful." But I suppose it all depends on your expectations and what you're used to.
as i've also said, i haven't driven one, so i can only go by what was said about it...that still doesn't change the way you misquoted me.

regarding what reviewers have said, i have read a few and watched a ton on Youtube videos and pretty much every review of the new one comments how much nicer the new engine is (in terms of smoothness compared to the old one)...but, if you think i'm making $hit up, here you go:

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/2016-ktm-duke-690-and-690-r-the-worlds-best-street-sca-1743062579

This newest version also gets an additional cylinderhead balancer shaft, which I can’t wait to try out because my only problem with the previous version of the Duke was that it tickled my hands and feet so much on the freeway that I hated stints longer than 10 miles or so. The balancer shaft also gives the big single another 1,000 revs to play in.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ktm/2016-ktm-690-duke-690-duke-r-first-ride-review.html

Taming the Vibrations

In performance-oriented, two-wheeled motorsports, the quest for more power and less weight is almost religion. However, the design goals for the LC4 extended beyond these to include broadening the powerband, providing better rideability, meeting Euro 4 emissions standards, and – most importantly for a big thumper – minimizing the single-cylinder’s inherent vibration.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/motorcycles/ktm-690-duke-2016-review/

The previous 690 was by no means rough, but this model is distinctly better suited to higher speeds; even to motorways, where it feels reasonably at home despite its exposed riding position.

http://www.cyclenews.com/2016/01/article/first-ride-ktm-690-duke/

Firing up the new Duke, you still get that muffled drone from the Euro 4-compliant exhaust the old bike produced, but the throttle is lighter, with more immediacy in the time it takes for the revs to rise after the right wrist is turned, and even at standstill the lack of vibrations is impressive. The whole engine has been completely reworked (see breakout), with one of the top priorities being to reduce the annoying vibrations inherent with large-capacity singles. Not only have the engine designers met this target, they’ve worked together with the electronics department to deliver a ride-by-wire throttle response that feels almost as smooth as a BMW parallel twin, rather than a KTM single.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/first-rides-tests/2015/november/ktm-690-duke-r-2016-first-ride/

"Between 3000rpm and the 9000rpm redline nine out of ten riders wouldn’t guess this was a single. It will pull gracefully through low gears using the friendly torque, ideal for inexperienced riders. Equally it will cruise along the motorway at around 80-85mph comfortably; I’ve experienced worst vibrations on some twins."

fast forward to 1 minute in if you don't want to watch the whole thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldB4MhMani0

in summary, my comments were simply about the improvements made to quell vibrations and improve the smoothness on a bike that was already excellent...personally, i think this bike is awesome, and would love to test one (and consider one for purchase)...the only difficulty for me is the closest KTM dealer is quite some distance away making it an unlikely option.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2016, 04:48:26 pm »

Rrocket and I both owned bikes with this engine (the older 654cc one.) Don't know about him, but I put more than a few 800km highway days on mine. I never found the vibration level bad, let alone "awful." But I suppose it all depends on your expectations and what you're used to.

If you're riding nothing but 1000cc silky smooth Japanese I4s...then yes, a single might vibe...a bit.  But the 690 engine was easily the smoothest single I've ever used...and it wasn't close.  So much so, I thought the character was closer to a small twin than the the giant-piston-moving sensation of a single.  And I've had plenty of singles...though all of them had been dirtbike based.

And yes...I've done big KM days.  And people would think I was some kind of superhuman because of what they read on the internet about "vibration".  Like you, never an issue.  Honestly...the biggest issue I had with the Duke was the seat wasn't terribly comfortable.  And it was allegedly one of KTMs better seats!  Which is probably true...most KTM seats were like sitting on a 2x4!   :rofl2:

I am really excited to ride the new one.  Just to see the smoothness...I mean...if it's that much smoother than the old one, it will feel like a big I4 Japanese engine!!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 04:50:49 pm by rrocket »

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2017, 05:39:49 pm »
So, TD Canadatrust Meloche Monnex now sucks a$$.

I was with them for about 10 years, did nothing but pay them.   My policy was going to renew about 2 months ago, but I was in the middle of purchasing a new bike and possibly selling my others so I called Meloche Monnex and got a quote for the bike I was considering (and eventually bought) and then cancelled my policy, first asking if all my info would still be there.  Yes, I was assured, just call and we'll put the bikes back on.

So, today I call to put insurance back on the bikes, they take all my info and then tell me they can't do it, I have to reapply!    They are going to snail mail me an application, I mail it back and then wait a month for them to possibly approve it.   I am dumbfounded how a company can be so horrible to their customers, I asked if they are trying to get out of the insurance business because I couldn't see how they would get any customers.   The lady on the phone tried to help, was very apologetic, but could do nothing.

So, again Meloche Monnex sucks big time in the service department.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 05:41:24 pm by blur911 »
Mr Pickypants

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2017, 05:59:30 pm »
Riders plus was awesome

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2017, 06:05:23 pm »
Riders plus was awesome

Except for their prices, about $150 more than Meloche Monnex quote, but yeah, I might end up there.

Just got off the phone with PC Insurance, seems they will only sell you a motorcycle policy if you bring your car with it.   I told them I didn't want to deal with a company that did tied-selling as that was illegal.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2017, 06:07:51 pm »
Well Rider's was 1/2 price of anybody for me, and was the only one that would actually insure me.

My co-worker is with state farm, he has a fake house policy with them to get the discount.  He has a Kawasaki Ninja H2  ... everyone else said NO WAY.  He pays $800 a year!

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2017, 06:13:08 pm »
I'm also with State Farm and they've been lowering my premium every renewal period (6 mos).
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2017, 06:17:34 pm »
State Farm  exists in name only in Canada, they are DeJardins Insurance and some of their policies have gone stupid too.  A friend just left them after being with for years.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2017, 06:25:37 pm »
Interesting. TD Meloche Monnex was the only company that would insure my townhouse due to aluminum wiring.

If you have to reapply, that's not horrible. But a whole month to approve?  Should take a couple of hours at most.

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2017, 06:37:37 pm »
Interesting. TD Meloche Monnex was the only company that would insure my townhouse due to aluminum wiring.

If you have to reapply, that's not horrible. But a whole month to approve?  Should take a couple of hours at most.

Yeah, I didn't care if I had to reapply, but the snail mail and month wait is just stupid.  The fact that they told me I could do this with no problems is what's really annoying.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2017, 06:43:13 pm »
Must be all old people that work there.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2017, 01:44:09 pm »
Well, after escalating things at Meloche  Monnex with a couple of inquiries up the line and reminding them that I have a shitload of things to insure and policies coming due, not to mention, they are my bank, for now,   I got a call today saying someone will be calling me on Monday to setup my policies without re-applying and waiting a month.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2017, 01:48:57 pm »
Well, after escalating things at Meloche  Monnex with a couple of inquiries up the line and reminding them that I have a shitload of things to insure and policies coming due, not to mention, they are my bank, for now,   I got a call today saying someone will be calling me on Monday to setup my policies without re-applying and waiting a month.

Good, but really, WTF?  Wow.