Author Topic: Methinks the Mazda needs a new AC belt and probably the tensioner pulley  (Read 26194 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Methinks the Mazda needs a new AC belt and probably the tensioner pulley
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2017, 02:46:39 pm »
A wife that won't help you for 2 minutes?

Too easy, just too damned easy.  Stop throwing softballs.

;D

Replacing the pulley and not the belt?  Didn't you have the belt off anyway?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2017, 03:04:02 pm »
He had the belt off...accidentally.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2017, 03:13:40 pm »
Obviously time for a new $$$ vehicle.  Something great.  :)

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #123 on: December 06, 2017, 03:17:20 pm »

Geez I said that hours ago

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=100002.msg1324092#msg1324092

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2017, 03:31:26 pm »

Geez I said that hours ago

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=100002.msg1324092#msg1324092

:rofl2:   I was going to type Golf R, but just left it at $$$

OK, very amusing thread.  :shuffle:     On these rotational noise issues the first thing to be done is change the BELT.   If no joy there then inject some pressurized white grease into the bearing area of each pulley, one at a time.   

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #126 on: December 06, 2017, 04:29:24 pm »
I bet if it was her car squeaking she'd be Helpy Helperson! :)
Nah...she'd be, "so, remember that time you wrote an article about replacing Camellia?  Now's the time.  All mine.  You keep the Mazda."

Replacing the pulley and not the belt?  Didn't you have the belt off anyway?
No.  It was partially off, but the AC and serpentine belts are separate, with the former blocking the latter:

...so in order to change the serpentine belt, I'd have to cut the stretch (AC) belt off.  To access that belt, I'd have to prop the car up, remove the left front wheel, remove trim from underneath the engine bay and the wheel well, and then voila.  I said I'd do it, but not in the cold - I'd wait for summer.

It just seems unlikely that the belt would be the culprit for a noise that exists only around 1,500rpm at light loads.  The car is silent at idle or while revving in neutral/park.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2017, 04:35:04 pm »
I also think you need to think about how far you need to chase this.  I mean, it's a little squeak on a 7 year old vehicle.  That said, I don't know how bad or annoying the squeak is.  I figure you're a pretty anal person, No-San, so it is possible that it is a very minor squeak that is bothering you, but isn't really doing any harm.  Don't forget.  7 year old car. 

If the squeak isn't too bad, I would just leave it until it gets worse.  Again, I say that never having heard it.  However, I do know that every older vehicle (older than 5-7 yrs) that I've owned (and I've had a few) has had noises here and there that aren't completely normal, but also do no harm.  As long as you can make sure that it is something that isn't causing harm by ignoring, of course.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 07, 2017, 10:40:45 am »
Update:

The sound CAN be replicated by "power-braking".  Because it's at very low RPMs any way, it's not a difficult thing to do (and very little chance of oopsie driving if the brakes are overpowered by the engine...in a 148hp Mazda 3  :rofl2:).

I do, therefore, need a second person to do further diagnosis since I can't power brake and look in the engine bay at the same time.

So, the sound now is the same, but comes on a little differently; that is, the sound is only heard when the car is cold (goes away entirely when the engine reaches operating temperature).  I think that's incredibly positive, and likely indicative of the belt needing a change - as I expected - but means that the tensioner itself is probably fine.

I have a plan to go forward and deal with this over the weekend.

As a side, I got home yesterday at 5:15pm (I love my commute!!) and wanted to get to a 6:30pm spin class.  When I walked in the door, wifey was having a little study group with a friend.  Wifey asked if I was willing to do a seasonal wheel changeover for the friend, who may or may not have been gorgeous (no, I will not post pictures!!  PM for details ;D - kidding!!).  I offered to do it over the weekend since I wanted to get to my spin class, but then the weather forecast called for snow last night (which barely came, though it was a bit snowy this morning) and a 5-10cm dump Saturday.  I was guilt-tripped to doing it last night.

The car: a freebie (yes, literally free - from her brother) 2006 Mk4 Golf TDI (1.9D) with 286,000km (Brazilian-built).

It was fairly rusted, especially the lug nuts.  I was really impressed that all 4 of the wheels were standing upright, with room to spare, in that trunk.  Fantastic cargo capacity - I can't fit 4 standing side by side in the Forester due to the wheel wells.  Hatchback 1: CUV 0.

Any way, the lug nuts looked small, so I grabbed the 19mm socket I use for the Forester.  TOO BIG  :-\

I grabbed the tire iron in the back, knowing that it would fit the nuts.  Sure did.  Also, it was about 10" long and gave me zero torque for those horrifically rusted bolts.  They simply wouldn't budge (they were also hella overtorqued).

Since I already have a 24" breaker bar, I went to CT and picked up this set for $19.49 - figured it's good to have a full set any way:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maximum-impact-socket-set-11-pc-0587496p.html#srp

FWIW, I paid $9.99 each for the 21mm and 19mm sockets I already had, so I wish I got this set in the first place, but whatever...she was really hot.

Got back home, made sure to chock the wheels with spare bricks I had in the garage (she's a Manual, folks! - left in gear and with the parking brake up, but extra safety is good), and gave 'er.  The lugnuts all came off, albeit none of them particularly "easily".  The problem was that the socket would stay 'stuck' on the lugnuts, requiring me to lightly tap it with a hammer to free the socket.  20 lugnuts, to be torqued, and then retorqued...to 87lb-ft (120nM) as per the owner's manual.  Took about an hour to do the whole job, and so I missed my spin class :'(

Checked the brakes, which all looked good.  The rear suspension was 100% not original - pretty blue struts, and the rear-left squeaking a bit when the car was raised.  The short wheelbase, by the way, made for a hilarious jacking - even though I used the front corner, the entire side of the car was off the ground at pretty much the same time - I still did each corner individually just to be cautious.

I used that anti-seize lube very sparingly on the hubs nowhere near the lugnuts.  None of the wheels were seized when I tried getting them off, but I figured why not.

Any way, sure as sh!t, when she was backing out of the garage, her front passenger's side headlight blew out.  I have some spare H11 bulbs, but a quick look-up showed that the Mk4 takes H7s.  Oh well.

...but I looked under the hood to see if it'd be an easy change...nope.  Unlike the usual "twist, pull out bulb", you have to move a clip over, remove a housing, then remove another retention clip, and then you can disconnect and remove/replace the bulb.  I hope newer models are substantially easier than that...

Any way, it's nice being able to help others and have a clue what I'm doing for basic stuff with cars now - thanks to all who have helped me through.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 01:43:41 pm by No-san »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2017, 01:04:49 pm »

Well done helping the hottie out with her tires citizen!!!
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #130 on: December 07, 2017, 04:40:25 pm »

Since I already have a 24" breaker bar, I went to CT and picked up this set for $19.49 - figured it's good to have a full set any way:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maximum-impact-socket-set-11-pc-0587496p.html#srp

FWIW, I paid $9.99 each for the 21mm and 19mm sockets I already had, so I wish I got this set in the first place, but whatever...she was really hot.

The impact socket set is a great deal and I'm sure you'll find use for them, but sometimes on wheels you need thin wall sockets that also don't mar the wheel finish.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/thin-wall-socket-set-3-pc-0251181p.html#srp
Mr Pickypants

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 07, 2017, 04:46:14 pm »
sometimes on wheels you need thin wall sockets that also don't mar the wheel finish.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/thin-wall-socket-set-3-pc-0251181p.html#srp
I've never had an issue with the cars we have, nor my dad's RX.  Haven't tried on the Maserati, but then my 5.25" min clearance floor jack won't fit, either.

...and FIL won't let me touch it in that way.  Buzz kill :P

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #132 on: December 07, 2017, 04:53:15 pm »
Good you didn't buy any of those shiny Stanley ratchets that are on sale. 

Don't, the ratchets are junk, even if they are pretty.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/stanley-3-8-in-drive-black-chrome-ratchet-0582003p.html#srp

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 07, 2017, 04:55:42 pm »

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/stanley-3-8-in-drive-black-chrome-ratchet-0582003p.html#srp

Yeah, a buddy of mine bought the black Stanley tool kit for going to the junkyard with, 3/8 ratchet quit the first time he used it and the 1/2 inch not long after that.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 07, 2017, 05:09:51 pm »

Yeah, a buddy of mine bought the black Stanley tool kit for going to the junkyard with, 3/8 ratchet quit the first time he used it and the 1/2 inch not long after that.

These wrenches are well worth it.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maximum-metric-flex-head-gearwrench-set-7-pc-0588587p.html#srp

The ratchets in this set  are well worth the price, unless they screwed them.  The last one I bought was 27 years ago and it's still going.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maximum-168-pc-socket-set-0589638p.html#srp

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 07, 2017, 05:13:29 pm »
Ratchet wrenches are a gift from the baby jesus.....thats a really good deal for that socket set.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 07, 2017, 06:35:23 pm »
I was guilt-tripped to doing it last night.

:hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl:

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 08, 2017, 09:42:01 am »
Thanks, Ron.

I'm excited for tomorrow when I get to diagnose the car in the snow.  ;D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 08, 2017, 02:10:06 pm »
Ok, so the sound is really p!ssing me off.  I'll do the diagnosis tonight or tomorrow if I can get my wife bundled enough to "brave" the cold for 5 mins or less.  If it turns out to be a squeaky belt, do we all agree these are the best ones to get?

AC Stretch belt:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2165652&cc=1444217

Serpentine belt:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2952339&cc=1444217

$31.69 CAD for both belts, plus $12.84 for shipping (quoted in CAD, subject to fluctuation by a few cents) = ~$48.66.

Guelph City Mazda has quoted 0.8 hours for installation of the belts I bring in, which is about ~$91 + HST.  I'm sure I could get other places to do the dirty for a could bucks less.

I want to do it myself, but the sound is pissing me off and it's hardly worth $100 for me to spend an hour in the unheated garage or wait all season of squeaks to do the work myself this time around.  Also, despite the value in buying tools, I'd have to buy axle stands (another $30-$40) at the very least, diminishing the "cost savings".

Thoughts?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 08, 2017, 02:26:35 pm »
Just go get the belts done already. Have you looked at Ukranian Tire, NAPA, or Partsource for the belts?? Might get them a lot quicker.