Author Topic: The Newly Launched Motorcycles Thread  (Read 15771 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: The Newly Launched Motorcycles Thread
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2021, 01:33:30 pm »
Don't these bikes have oil filters and magnets? That could explain some of it.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2021, 03:24:01 pm »

Thought I'd start a 'New Bike' Thread seeing as we don't have one, and I'm not obsessing over this...  :rofl2:

Imagine the build quality?!?

https://www.rideapart.com/news/501809/moxiao-500rr-wannabe-ducati/
probably make the Ducati seem like a Toyota. ;)

https://youtu.be/9GAUo8eUXeU

Factory bike oil contamination test incl. Chinese entry. .

rrocket had some complaints about that video. My only thing is that I heard most companies pre break in their engines at the factory whereas the Chinese company may not have which is why there's way more break in debris in the oil. But the reputable companies can spot problems early on in that initial break in so there's less likely to be issues. But I'd like to see what the warranty recall rate for those Chinese bikes are vs. the reputable companies.

You think you get a decent warranty with cheap Chinese goods? Good luck with that.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2021, 03:34:10 pm »

Thought I'd start a 'New Bike' Thread seeing as we don't have one, and I'm not obsessing over this...  :rofl2:

rrocket had some complaints about that video. My only thing is that I heard most companies pre break in their engines at the factory whereas the Chinese company may not have which is why there's way more break in debris in the oil. But the reputable companies can spot problems early on in that initial break in so there's less likely to be issues. But I'd like to see what the warranty recall rate for those Chinese bikes are vs. the reputable companies.

You think you get a decent warranty with cheap Chinese goods? Good luck with that.

True, it's hard enough with the reputable brands. But the Chinese bike dealers are going to live and die by reputation alone.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2021, 03:47:03 pm »

True, it's hard enough with the reputable brands. But the Chinese bike dealers are going to live and die by reputation alone.

I would trust a Kymco from Taiwan, but that's about as far as I'd go.
Mr Pickypants

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2021, 04:14:11 pm »
Warranty? I was amazed the FE501 came with a 6 month one. Dirst bikes I think the warranty expires they are wheeled off the showroom floor. Had a hell of a time dealing with the Austrians over a KTM300XC that had a factory engine assembly defect. Seized itself solid in the first 3 hours. The response was something like:  "Vat is dis? An engine problem on a KTM? Not possible! You should feel fortunate Hans gave you 1 1/2 head gaskets...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2021, 04:43:48 pm »
Warranty? I was amazed the FE501 came with a 6 month one. Dirst bikes I think the warranty expires they are wheeled off the showroom floor. Had a hell of a time dealing with the Austrians over a KTM300XC that had a factory engine assembly defect. Seized itself solid in the first 3 hours. The response was something like:  "Vat is dis? An engine problem on a KTM? Not possible! You should feel fortunate Hans gave you 1 1/2 head gaskets...

My G450X apparently came with a three-year/36,000-mile warranty on factory defects, most everything  was deemed a wear item though from what I gather.
 I'm still under on the mileage

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2021, 06:35:52 pm »
Taiwan is a sovereign and independent country.

Kymco mostly exists because Honda needed help building Cubs and Passports way back in the day. They build their own scooters now as well as BMW and Kawasaki scooters.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2021, 06:41:15 pm »
Taiwan is a sovereign and independent country.

Kymco mostly exists because Honda needed help building Cubs and Passports way back in the day. They build their own scooters now as well as BMW and Kawasaki scooters.

Yup, Taiwan is not China, although the CPP would like us to believe otherwise.    ::)
Kymco built the 450 in my BMW.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2021, 07:21:35 pm »
I am pleasantly surprised when I see "made in Taiwan".

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2021, 09:49:30 pm »
2021 HarleyDavidson
2021 Harley-Davidson Pan America Special First Ride Review - ADV Pulse
https://www.advpulse.com/adv-news/harley-davidson-pan-america-1250-special-review/

Heavy, expensive, low clearance, long wheelbase, looks questionable at best, too many do dads (automatic height adjust?). I predict they will be a sales flop but time will tell.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2021, 11:15:45 am »
OMG yes. I'd love one of these. Probably my perfect sports bike.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/ducati-panigale-v2-troy-bayliss-edition

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2021, 11:57:12 am »
Is it Italian?  ;D

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2021, 01:28:00 pm »
2021 HarleyDavidson
https://www.advpulse.com/adv-news/harley-davidson-pan-america-1250-special-review/

Heavy, expensive, low clearance, long wheelbase, looks questionable at best, too many do dads (automatic height adjust?). I predict they will be a sales flop but time will tell.

I would guess 80% of ADV bikes out there (V-Strom, Versys, etc.) never see more than an maintained gravel road, maybe an FSR. They're glorified upright highway cruisers.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2021, 01:32:56 pm »
2021 HarleyDavidson

Probably higher % than that. There is little off road adventure on an adventure bike.

I would guess 80% of ADV bikes out there (V-Strom, Versys, etc.) never see more than an maintained gravel road, maybe an FSR. They're glorified upright highway cruisers.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12357
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2021, 01:33:28 pm »
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2021, 02:00:34 pm »
2021 HarleyDavidson

Not to defend Harley, but it weighs about the same as a BMW GS doesn't it? Isn't that it's main competitor for the larger starbucks adventurer?  :rofl2:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2021, 02:41:14 pm »
2021 HarleyDavidson

Probably higher % than that. There is little off road adventure on an adventure bike.

I'm ok with that, I like having a bike that is ready to go from Beaumont to Magadan but is used to get appys from across town with friends

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2021, 06:00:30 am »
New Triumph Tiger Sport 660 coming out.  They should totally call it the Tiger Cub.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pVjRBfAyHQ

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2021, 09:12:40 am »
LOL. Can't wait to see the fully faired speed triple too!

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2021, 09:13:46 am »
LOL. Can't wait to see the fully faired speed triple too!

Yeah - saw the teaser for that - looks pretty wicked.