Author Topic: Tire Review: Sailun Z4+AS  (Read 14255 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Tire Review: Sailun Z4+AS
« on: October 26, 2012, 06:04:38 am »

Mike Schlee seems convinced that Sailun Tire intends to make a splash in the value-based tire market.

Read More...

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Re: Tire Review: Sailun Z4+AS
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 09:43:36 am »
I wonder if they got the tire.technologies.from official cooperations and joint venture with big name companies or stste sponsored espionage.    Either is cool if we get good tires for cheap. ;)

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 09:47:17 am »
The partnered in Canada with heavy machinery tire manufacurer 'Dynamic'

Offline Soram6275

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 VW CC
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 10:02:32 am »
To Mike Schlee:

Mike, would you be able to tell us when and where these tires will be sold?  Any idea?  Or is it still too soon to tell.

Thanks.

Offline jj72

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 10:05:40 am »
Until they have more experience and more customer reviews from long term users, I will stick to the brands I know ad pay the extra $$.  Whats a few hundred dollars compared to your safety and that of you family?

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 10:24:08 am »
My biggest worry, Buffalo Narrows, Northern Saskatchewan, 9PM on a Saturday, your Sailun has just shredded itself......whats the chance that Murph the town mechanic/surgeon is going to have a set of Sailuns in the back of his shop??? I just dont like these Wal mart type of tires because of their lack of popularity. Also, Im with JJ72, Ill pay a little more for the name brand tires, no sense in risking my families safety for a few dollars.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 10:30:23 am »
It's my only actual contact with the road, I'd rather not cheap out on it.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 10:40:48 am »
I wonder if they got the tire.technologies.from official cooperations and joint venture with big name companies or stste sponsored espionage.    Either is cool if we get good tires for cheap. ;)

Would you buy stolen car parts too?  I don't see any difference if they stole the design and tech from someone.

No Chinese junk tires for me, I don't care how good they are.
Mr Pickypants

Offline canuckystan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-58
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 10:50:41 am »
I'll keep an open mind here.  The testers said there was no difference.  If the Sailuns last reasonably well, I don't think you are "cheaping out" by buying them. 

In fact, if you can get 2 sets of Sailuns (say summer and winter, or replace the all-seasons twice as often) for the price of 1 set of Contis (or whatever), then in fact I'd argue your safety is increased with these tires. 

I've had name brand tires with epic failures, so I'm not convinced that ones needs a Michelin to be safe.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 10:53:26 am »
I bought a set of Sailun winter tires for my Miata after this test (I was that impressed).  Expect long term test results of them over the winter.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 03:20:06 pm »
Thanks for the review. I'd like to see more comparisons with a variety of manufacturers not just one as chosen by the Sailun in order to increase my comfort level with a new player to the market. I admit if someone told me that they were a new brand from ...let's say Sweden I'd be more inclined to purchase a winter set vs China. My biases are based solely on prior experiences.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:19:33 pm by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 03:33:06 pm »
My biggest worry, Buffalo Narrows, Northern Saskatchewan, 9PM on a Saturday, your Sailun has just shredded itself......whats the chance that Murph the town mechanic/surgeon is going to have a set of Sailuns in the back of his shop??? I just dont like these Wal mart type of tires because of their lack of popularity. Also, Im with JJ72, Ill pay a little more for the name brand tires, no sense in risking my families safety for a few dollars.

+100% I will wait for long term testing before I would put them on my list for consideration.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 03:37:51 pm »
To Mike Schlee:

Mike, would you be able to tell us when and where these tires will be sold?  Any idea?  Or is it still too soon to tell.

Thanks.

Tires are already on sale.  Visit sailuntires.ca for local dealers.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 08:01:41 pm »
i would be willing to keep an open eye...while there is a lot of "crap" coming from China, that isn't because they are incapable of making good stuff...it's because the companies we purchase our stuff from, have spec'd product accordingly (likely, the cheapest they can get, so they can maximize profits)...you can get high quality items from China, but no one would like buy them (as shown in here), because everyone associates "Made in China" with junk...China doesn't make junk, China has been told to make junk...there's a difference.

case in point, a Husky injection moulding machine, ABB robot or Schuler press all work the same, whether it is located in Canada, USA, Germany or China.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 08:06:08 pm »
i would be willing to keep an open eye...while there is a lot of "crap" coming from China, that isn't because they are incapable of making good stuff...it's because the companies we purchase our stuff from, have spec'd product accordingly (likely, the cheapest they can get, so they can maximize profits)...you can get high quality items from China, but no one would like buy them (as shown in here), because everyone associates "Made in China" with junk...China doesn't make junk, China has been told to make junk...there's a difference.

case in point, a Husky injection moulding machine, ABB robot or Schuler press all work the same, whether it is located in Canada, USA, Germany or China.

There are 400 tire plants in China right now.  They are literally world class facilities with zero tolerances for errors, to ones that are making tires almost by hand in wooden barns.  Sailun luckily is the former.  The government is trying to consolidate it down to a dozen or so.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 08:16:10 pm »
I don't care is the company was called Gerhardt and they were making them in Stuttgart. It's about having established credibility though a history of providing quality products with a  proven track record.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 08:48:43 pm »
PPL ... stop the whining.  ;D

Every bloody thing in this world is made in China and tires are one of them.  Forget the fact that the Chinese State is a communist horrible sh*t hole that views Canada and it's puppet master Harponi The Magnificent as a cheap Tuesday night whore.  Michelin, Bridgestone et al, are all present in China.  Rubber is rubber.  It's just one of the last notable consumer goods that has transfered from Canada to China.

Twenty five years ago the Koreans came into Canada and it was the same.  Now their tires are mainstream.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 09:28:29 pm »
PPL ... stop the whining.  ;D

Every bloody thing in this world is made in China and tires are one of them.  Forget the fact that the Chinese State is a communist horrible sh*t hole that views Canada and it's puppet master Harponi The Magnificent as a cheap Tuesday night whore.  Michelin, Bridgestone et al, are all present in China.  Rubber is rubber.  It's just one of the last notable consumer goods that has transfered from Canada to China.

Twenty five years ago the Koreans came into Canada and it was the same.  Now their tires are mainstream.

Call me in twenty years then  :)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 10:09:56 am »
Call me in twenty years then  :)
**Siri, set appointment to call Snowman in 20 years to ask his opinion on tires made in China.**

Done. :P

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 10:31:48 am »
I don't care is the company was called Gerhardt and they were making them in Stuttgart. It's about having established credibility though a history of providing quality products with a  proven track record.
I totally agree. 
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.