Author Topic: Should I use 17 inch winter wheels on CX-5  (Read 5597 times)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Re: Should I use 17 inch winter wheels on CX-5
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2023, 08:36:21 am »
CX-5 is easy to find wheels for. Now try the CX-90  :banghead: The jury's still out on wether the PHEV brakes will allow going down to 18" from the oem 19", and because of the size and weight of the vehicle, no past Mazda wheel will fit. Dealer parts guys finally received one supplier wheel fitment, but once they get some wheels they will do test-fits.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2023, 03:31:31 pm »

CX-5 is easy to find wheels for. Now try the CX-90  :banghead: The jury's still out on wether the PHEV brakes will allow going down to 18" from the oem 19", and because of the size and weight of the vehicle, no past Mazda wheel will fit. Dealer parts guys finally received one supplier wheel fitment, but once they get some wheels they will do test-fits.

Yikes. That will be tough. The load specs will be hard to get right. That is what happens when you live on the cutting edge of technology and have the latest & greatest.  ;D

Posed my wheel question again on Mazda Forum trying to get an answer from a Mazda CX-5 owner that has actually used a wheel with an offset of 50. I am not giving up..... Yet.
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2023, 05:32:52 pm »
It'll be fine.... It's not like Mazda is changing the suspension geometry or brakes from year to year.  A set of wheels from the previous gen CX-5 (which is actually the current gen, sans the facelift and interior changes) will fit the new one.

The difference in offset you're seeing is likely to account for wider rims on the higher trim models.

Do higher trims really have wider wheels like 7.5 vs 7.0? According to fitment website that would mean wheel if 6mmm closer to suspension and brakes. Going from 45 to 50 offset only brings it 5mm closer. So logically if a 7.5 inch rim works a 50 offset should work on a 7.0 wheel.

Found a great set of rims. Seller was local and said they came off a 2019 CX-5 which would mean they have an offset of 45 like I need. Went and saw them. They were in perfect shape but had an offset of 50. This means they were off an older CX-5. Arrrrggghhhh :'(  :banghead:

I think the offset 50 will work but I cannot pull the trigger on a purchase without knowing for sure. I do not want to get into re-selling the rims if they do not work.  Just cannot find a set of wheels off current generation.

Sorry for flogging this topic to death.
Had the same issue with offset for my SLK, so I brought my jack & tools with me when I went to check out some wheels & test fit them onsite. Easiest way to ensure they fit.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

This. My replica Subaru winter wheels have the previous-gen offset, so I tried one up front before having the tires mounted. They spun with no contact. I kept the oem 18" but only because of 1) the deal on clearance wheels and 2) access to passenger car tires instead of SUV fitments (in 17").

When I was shopping for OEM hyundai rims which had "less positive" offset, that is stuck out for nearly 1 cm, I tried one front rim on, on the sellers driveway, to make sure brakes were in the clear. Like other guys have said, 5mm is not much of a difference. 50 mm ofsset will most likely work but it sounds like you just want newer rims  ;)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2023, 05:47:56 pm »
[
When I was shopping for OEM hyundai rims which had "less positive" offset, that is stuck out for nearly 1 cm, I tried one front rim on, on the sellers driveway, to make sure brakes were in the clear. Like other guys have said, 5mm is not much of a difference. 50 mm offset will most likely work but it sounds like you just want newer rims  ;)

I would be very happy with rims off a 2016 CX-5. Just want confirmation they will work from someone that has done it. Not really too keen on jacking car up in sellers driveway.

Here is a specific example of a wheel supplier stating a wheel with offset of 50 will work. Should I trust that???

https://wheelwiz.ca/products/r14117001?variant=39792334307394&currency=CAD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp7-E8-6vgAMVqwCICR33yQjxEAEYASACEgLkqPD_BwE
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 05:54:31 pm by Slow_lane »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2023, 06:15:51 pm »
[
When I was shopping for OEM hyundai rims which had "less positive" offset, that is stuck out for nearly 1 cm, I tried one front rim on, on the sellers driveway, to make sure brakes were in the clear. Like other guys have said, 5mm is not much of a difference. 50 mm offset will most likely work but it sounds like you just want newer rims  ;)

I would be very happy with rims off a 2016 CX-5. Just want confirmation they will work from someone that has done it. Not really too keen on jacking car up in sellers driveway.

Here is a specific example of a wheel supplier stating a wheel with offset of 50 will work. Should I trust that???

https://wheelwiz.ca/products/r14117001?variant=39792334307394&currency=CAD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp7-E8-6vgAMVqwCICR33yQjxEAEYASACEgLkqPD_BwE

Are they in any way responsible if wheels not purchased from them do not fit?  :P

It's really not that difficult to try a rim on. Piece of cake if you have a cordless impact with you. Just put a piece of wood under the jack not to scratch their fancy driveway.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2023, 12:29:25 pm »
We it turns out Crappy Tire has some RSSW Mayfair alloys on sale. I ordered a set for pick-up later today. Cost me $124 each.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rssw-mayfair-alloy-wheel-rim-hyper-silver-1411070p.1417048.html

They are hub centric, winter ready and have the correct offset of 45. So the fit should be perfect without any issues. The nice thing as well is if I ever bang one up I could order another. I would have ordered 5 today just to be safe but I got the last 4 they had.

The RSSW wheels seems to get good reviews.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 02:31:49 pm by Slow_lane »

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2023, 10:24:02 am »
Just got my winter 17 inch tire / wheel combo installed. I am pretty pleased. The whole set up cost me just a hair under $1100. Got new alloys on sale from crappy tire and scoring some almost new (10/32nd's tread) WS90 Blizzaks. I think I did really well.

For $125 the alloys are quite nice. Maybe a little too silvery but that is it. Not near as nice as my 19 inch OEM summers but for winter they are a good look.

I had had W60's on my BMW 328 and found them horribly squishy. Many said the Blizzak WS90 were a vast improvement. I was still concerned.

I am happy to report that even with the 17 inch set up I am finding the WS90's very good. They track well and do not feel squishy at all. The Mazda is quiet and do I not find the WS90's exhibit much road noise.

I did not install TPMS sensors. I was surprised it took 2 days and maybe 100 kms for the warning light to come on. I thought it would be almost instantaneous. I  was beginning to wonder if the system worked. If the light bugs me I will resolve that with a piece of tape.

All is good. :)

« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 10:40:03 am by Slow_lane »

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2023, 10:32:41 am »
Can't complain about that price for a set of winters with alloys!

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2023, 10:43:18 am »
Just got my winter 17 inch tire / wheel combo installed. I am pretty pleased. The whole set up cost me just a hair under $1100. Got new alloys on sale from crappy tire and scoring some almost new (10/32nd's tread) WS90 Blizzaks. I think I did really well.

For $125 the alloys are quite nice. Maybe a little too silvery but that is it. Not near as nice as my 19 inch OEM summers but for winter they are a good look.

I had had W60's on my BMW 328 and found them horribly squishy. Many said the Blizzak WS90 were a vast improvement. I was still concerned.

I am happy to report that even with the 17 inch set up I am finding the WS90's very good. They track well and do not feel squishy at all. The Mazda is quiet and do I not find the WS90's exhibit much road noise.

I did not install TPMS sensors. I was surprised it took 2 days and maybe 100 kms for the warning light to come on. I thought it would be almost instantaneous. I  was beginning to wonder if the system worked. If the light bugs me I will resolve that with a piece of tape.

Like Mine.  Like you I was a hair under $1100, but I went with brand new Blizzak WS90's, and scored a set of used Mazda OEM alloys off Kijiji for $200. 

Online draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2023, 10:57:50 am »
^ both looking good.

I haven't bought winter tires (or any tires for that matter) in a number of years. Was shocked at the increase in tire prices when I bought new winters for the Sienna this year.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2023, 11:08:08 am »
^ both looking good.

I haven't bought winter tires (or any tires for that matter) in a number of years. Was shocked at the increase in tire prices when I bought new winters for the Sienna this year.

?? Price for DMV2s at least in this size hasn't move much at all in the past 5 years..

Online draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2023, 11:55:47 am »
Not apples to apples, but the winter tires (lattitude x-ice2 245/70r17), OEM steel wheels, new TPMS sensors and mount and balance for the Acadia cost about the same as tires only (x-ice snow 235/60r18) for the Sienna. And that was with $120 off a set of 4 and free installation at Costco.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2023, 12:04:46 pm »
Yeah, I don't think it's been that much of a deal if you stick to the same tires sizes and hunt for sales, but the new vehicles almost always have bigger

I went from 16's on the Vibe to 17 and 18's on the Crosstrek, and 21's on the RX

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2023, 12:11:08 pm »
Not apples to apples, but the winter tires (lattitude x-ice2 245/70r17), OEM steel wheels, new TPMS sensors and mount and balance for the Acadia cost about the same as tires only (x-ice snow 235/60r18) for the Sienna. And that was with $120 off a set of 4 and free installation at Costco.

Michelins are always a little more $$. Can you not drop to 17" (or even 16") on the Sienna?

Online draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2023, 12:23:45 pm »
Min size for the Sienna is 17 but then I would have to purchase new winter wheels as well. I'm not a huge fan of the OEM plastic clad alloys so will use these for winter and then purchase another set of alloys for the summer.

My original cost comparison was between tires/wheels/sensors vs tires only.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2023, 05:02:44 pm »

Like Mine.  Like you I was a hair under $1100, but I went with brand new Blizzak WS90's, and scored a set of used Mazda OEM alloys off Kijiji for $200. 

Nice find on wheels. I was looking for used OEM but all the sets I found did not have quite the same offset. Most likely would have worked but I was to chicken sh$t to take a chance. I was lucky that crappy tire happened to have wheels on sale at a great price.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2023, 05:03:52 pm »

Looking good, just need to be de-grimed  :stick:  ;D

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2023, 06:18:26 pm »

Looking good, just need to be de-grimed  :stick:  ;D

You are right. Tires / wheels not cleaned up for big photo shoot. I apologize.  :-[

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2023, 06:38:21 pm »
No need  :)  I wonder if Brakleen can be used on tires...? Anyone tried?

Scratch that. if acetone based it may not be safe on paint or clear coat.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 07:07:36 pm by EV Dan »