Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Chevrolet Traverse  (Read 21942 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Chevrolet Traverse
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2013, 10:30:08 pm »
funny how one review of the equinox says the v6 is gutless, but another of the traverse with the same engine and heavier body says acceleration is brisk. What have they done to the equinox transmission to dull app its 300hp? Will drive both at work today to try and find out. I'm stumped.

I find buff-book cub reporters a scream: they drive free cars all the time and then snivel that a 300 bhp car is "underpowered." Did it have trouble merging? Problems with grades? Nope, hardly a care made now would have these problems.

Of course, the ultimate irony is the reviewers here couldn't afford the $50,000 cars they pan as "underpowered" anyway. That's because in the real world, 20 and 30-somethings don't drove $50k cars. They drive $15k cars if they are lucky.

I get what your saying, but "20 and 30 somethings drive $15k cars if they are lucky" , that's a major exaggeration.  Your saying in the real world, no one under 40 buys a new car.  I would consider $25k cars if they are lucky to be more appropriate (and if your curious I am 32).

Easy, low interest, long term financing makes this possible. A car should never be more than a third of your annual net income. But then again, more than half of Canadian workers have no savings, for the same reason.

I have owned 3 new cars since I was 23 and four used ones (I'm 32 now), I have zero cars payments now (one car bought new, one car heavily used), we have a ton of savings and ridiculous life insurance.  Since you already know how much I make (which you are right, isn't much) it is a wonder how I do it.

The hard fast rules like '1/3 income' are a bit out of date.  A good guideline, but not the gospel.

I agree with you Mike, cars are getting more expensive, and the wages aren't keeping up.  So 1/3 income is only guideline.  And I don't need to hear any preaching (Vanstar) about what Canadians spend, or how much we need to save.  This is a car site, on a Traverse review. 

Another post was about the transmission in the Equinox vs the Traverse, since they both use the 3.6L and use a 6 speed transmission, is it the same?  If not, wouldn't it make sense for GM to use the same one to save money on parts.  Or maybe GN will reprogram the transmission in the Equinox if they get enough compliants.  Just like they are addressing the complaints with the Malibu, and are going to refresh it early.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2013, 01:06:38 am »
You could also sew conductive thread into your gloves, a few inches worth on the pointing finger and a few inches worth the thumb.
i'm sure you can, but these gloves aren't very expensive...the set i have is from Head and i got them at Costco a few months ago for about $15.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2013, 01:12:27 am »
You could also sew conductive thread into your gloves, a few inches worth on the pointing finger and a few inches worth the thumb.
i'm sure you can, but these gloves aren't very expensive...the set i have is from Head and i got them at Costco a few months ago for about $15.

I use these:  http://www.outdoorresearch.ca/ca_en/or-gear/handwear/mens-biosensor-liners.html  Got them on sale for $15.  Lifetime warranty.

IQ uses these: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=16858546
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2013, 05:42:55 am »
They work and they were $14.99  ;D

Northernridge

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2013, 10:38:37 am »
The notion of having to use special gloves to operate the stupid touch screen in a car during winter is the most facking ridiculous thing ever. What's next, 3D glasses?

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2013, 10:56:47 am »
MSRP doesn't much matter these days - cash on the hood, low financing and crazy-long terms keep people in low monthly payments, even if it's not realistic for their income. I was on the Dodge website the other day and they offer 96-month financing rates! I can't imagine paying 5% interest for 8 years on a Caliber, but there it is. Lots of folks also choose leases, which is kind of like renting, because you never actually own anything.

Spending within your means isn't complicated but it's also not very fun. That, coupled with banks throwing borrowed money at people with next to no interest, causes lots of people to buy new, expensive vehicles. The new car industry would take a nosedive if everyone bought within their means, used cars would boom, so it's hard to know how that would all play out.

Offline canuckystan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-58
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2013, 11:09:31 am »
Becoming well-off in this country is a piece of cake.  Drive a used beater and put that $50k you would spend on the Traverse/Acadia on your mortgage.  Dump the smartphone, never walk into a liquor store, replace cable with bunny ears, pick a spouse and stick to her (or him), forget upgrading to those shiny new stainless appliances and granite countertops.

That's it.

One just needs the fortitude to do it.   Otherwise, it's debt city.  Very simple stuff.

My view is if you can't cut a cheque for a new car, you can't afford it (I don't care how cheap the financing). 

MSRP doesn't much matter these days - cash on the hood, low financing and crazy-long terms keep people in low monthly payments, even if it's not realistic for their income. I was on the Dodge website the other day and they offer 96-month financing rates! I can't imagine paying 5% interest for 8 years on a Caliber, but there it is. Lots of folks also choose leases, which is kind of like renting, because you never actually own anything.

Spending within your means isn't complicated but it's also not very fun. That, coupled with banks throwing borrowed money at people with next to no interest, causes lots of people to buy new, expensive vehicles. The new car industry would take a nosedive if everyone bought within their means, used cars would boom, so it's hard to know how that would all play out.

Northernridge

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2013, 11:30:13 am »
This thread is becoming a judgemental crotchety cheapskate love fest.

Another perspective on personal finance is to learn to do something of value, get well-paid and then spend your money before you die.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2013, 11:39:22 am »
The notion of having to use special gloves to operate the stupid touch screen in a car during winter is the most facking ridiculous thing ever. What's next, 3D glasses?
um, it isn't just for the car, it is for anything that uses a capacitive touch screen, including most tablets, smartphones, ipods, etc...most touch screens today are capacitive.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2013, 11:43:53 am »

I agree, I can operate every control on my truck with thick work gloves.....and I like that.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2013, 03:56:20 pm »
Becoming well-off in this country is a piece of cake.  Drive a used beater and put that $50k you would spend on the Traverse/Acadia on your mortgage.  Dump the smartphone, never walk into a liquor store, replace cable with bunny ears, pick a spouse and stick to her (or him), forget upgrading to those shiny new stainless appliances and granite countertops.

That's it.

One just needs the fortitude to do it.   Otherwise, it's debt city.  Very simple stuff.

My view is if you can't cut a cheque for a new car, you can't afford it (I don't care how cheap the financing). 

May as well add becoming a hermit and not enjoying life to your list as well. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2013, 05:00:35 pm »

That's it.

Here is what I have learned in life: people want The Nice Stuff Now. They don't want to wait for it, so they finance. In fact, it is easy to save the money for car and you can make interest for it. For example, a TFSA is a perfect vehicle for car savings as the interest is not taxable. But easy financing and long term loans make it easy to have now what you should save for later. As one poster noted, incomes more many people are static. This doesn't seem a very good justification to spending more for a car than you can really afford, unless you want to draw down your future standard of living even more.

In the first half of my life, I didn't have a lot of new stuff because I was building my career. At that time, paying off the loan on my first property was more important than a the Mustangs all my buddies were buying. Now in the second half of my life, I have a lot of freedom my 'Stang buddies don't have. I am glad  that I am a saver, because that way of life has given me tremendous freedom. But I understand most people are happy to finance things and punch clocks and good for them. I am just not satisfied to be chained to something that I must make payments that is depreciating all the while I make those payments. Finally, loan payments come from your net pay not your gross. This, a $500 a month car payment is more like a $700 payment when you calculate how much you need to take that $500 home.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2013, 05:57:31 pm »

That's it.

Here is what I have learned in life: people want The Nice Stuff Now. They don't want to wait for it, so they finance. In fact, it is easy to save the money for car and you can make interest for it. For example, a TFSA is a perfect vehicle for car savings as the interest is not taxable. But easy financing and long term loans make it easy to have now what you should save for later. As one poster noted, incomes more many people are static. This doesn't seem a very good justification to spending more for a car than you can really afford, unless you want to draw down your future standard of living even more.

In the first half of my life, I didn't have a lot of new stuff because I was building my career. At that time, paying off the loan on my first property was more important than a the Mustangs all my buddies were buying. Now in the second half of my life, I have a lot of freedom my 'Stang buddies don't have. I am glad  that I am a saver, because that way of life has given me tremendous freedom. But I understand most people are happy to finance things and punch clocks and good for them. I am just not satisfied to be chained to something that I must make payments that is depreciating all the while I make those payments. Finally, loan payments come from your net pay not your gross. This, a $500 a month car payment is more like a $700 payment when you calculate how much you need to take that $500 home.

IMHO, there should be a balance between saving responsibly and enjoying life.  Other than my mortgage, I carry zero debt.  I contribute a great deal of money for my retirement and also purchased an investment property a number of years ago as well as a retirement nest egg. 

Having said that, I want to enjoy life as well and refuse to hoard away every single cent that I earn.  Sure, I could have more money in my bank account if I didn't travel with my family, didn't purchase an S2000, etc, but you're only given one life and there is more to it than saving every cent. 

I have a relative that is a multi-millionaire, doesn't spend a cent and is miserable.  She'll die a multi-millionaire and leave the money to her family.  I don't want to be that person!  Just saying that I feel there should be a balance between responsible saving/spending and also enjoying life.  I could do what canuckystan suggests and be very well off, but I'd have a miserable life.  Not a worthy trade off IMHO. 

Btw, sorry to de-rail the thread even further.   :-[

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2013, 09:18:32 pm »
 :iagree: You said it! Big Applause! Now, if you'll excuse me, I have go to the bank to pay off my VISA from Christmas gifts.  And book a trip for the March break!   ;D

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2013, 10:03:45 pm »
I've rented these a few times and while bland, they make very good prairie highway cruisers (except for gas mileage). Very comfortable and easy to drive and actually good for large families with lots of crap to haul around...maybe a better choice than a Tahoe if you stay on road and don't tow but have to have a Chevy. The new front clip is a big design improvement but that steering wheel is the ugliest one in all of car-dom.

Because of the horrid gas mileage, I think thats the best reason to go into a Tahoe. You get a much better 4x4 system, a better engine,  towing capability, better visibility, better reliability......I honestly cant see a single reason to take one of the Traverse or its Buick brethren over a Tahoe.

Reasons to buy over a Tahoe: Superior ride, comfort and easier to drive plus consumers are now trained to buy a CUV and not a 'truck'. I wouldn't buy one and I wanted to hate the Travererse but it really was pretty good. Ford Flex is better tho.

I wonder if it has the same towing shortfall as the Flex.  The Flex has a 5000 lb towing limit but the frontal area is limited to 35 sq ft.  So even though my travel trailer weighs under 2000 lbs, it has a frontal area of around 45 sq ft and thus you can't tow it with a Flex.  I was very annoyed as I like the Flex.

With the relatively low torque I suspect the Traverse will have the same restriction.  Something they often hide in the small print.

Northernridge

« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2013, 10:35:15 pm »
I've rented these a few times and while bland, they make very good prairie highway cruisers (except for gas mileage). Very comfortable and easy to drive and actually good for large families with lots of crap to haul around...maybe a better choice than a Tahoe if you stay on road and don't tow but have to have a Chevy. The new front clip is a big design improvement but that steering wheel is the ugliest one in all of car-dom.

Because of the horrid gas mileage, I think thats the best reason to go into a Tahoe. You get a much better 4x4 system, a better engine,  towing capability, better visibility, better reliability......I honestly cant see a single reason to take one of the Traverse or its Buick brethren over a Tahoe.

Reasons to buy over a Tahoe: Superior ride, comfort and easier to drive plus consumers are now trained to buy a CUV and not a 'truck'. I wouldn't buy one and I wanted to hate the Travererse but it really was pretty good. Ford Flex is better tho.

I wonder if it has the same towing shortfall as the Flex.  The Flex has a 5000 lb towing limit but the frontal area is limited to 35 sq ft.  So even though my travel trailer weighs under 2000 lbs, it has a frontal area of around 45 sq ft and thus you can't tow it with a Flex.  I was very annoyed as I like the Flex.

With the relatively low torque I suspect the Traverse will have the same restriction.  Something they often hide in the small print.

I don't the Flex or Traverse are legit towing vehicles.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2013, 12:15:44 am »

Then why give them a 5K towing limit?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Test Drive: 2013 Chevrolet Traverse
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2013, 12:16:19 am »

Like towing with a minivan, no, towing with these to me would be really unsafe.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Test Drive: 2013 Chevrolet Traverse
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2013, 12:20:50 am »

Like towing with a minivan, no, towing with these to me would be really unsafe.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Why?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2013, 12:24:01 am »
Too light, rear suspension too soft and a drivetrain thats barely adequate for thw vehicle itself. A fwd based drivetrain is not designed to take the extra stresses of towing.

Sent from my Galaxy S3