Author Topic: Long-Term Test Update 1: 2015 Volkswagen Golf (1.8TSI)  (Read 11595 times)

Offline philmcneal

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-12
  • Hypermiler Enthusiast & E-Store Owner
    • View Profile
    • Do you believe that a bidet can increase your quality of life?
  • Cars: 2004 Toyota Prius, Town and Country Minivan, Chrysler 200,
Re: Long-Term Test Update 1: 2015 Volkswagen Golf (1.8TSI)
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2015, 11:08:10 pm »
one of your more detailed and finer reviews! Great comment about the idling though! I'm a sucker for the auto startup but just to make the ice melt faster!
The best car is one that is cheap to operate. If you are curious about bidets please visit my web site on how they can improve your quality of life!

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2015, 01:23:12 am »
This car actually has 200ft/lbs of torque not 185.  Both the A3 1.8T (USA and Canada) and all of USA golfs are rated at 200.

At first I thought you made a mistake, but sure enough, the brochure for the American Golf lists torque at 200 ft/lbs.

http://www.vw.com/content/dam/vwcom/brochures/2015models/VW_MY15_Golf_Brochure-Digital.pdf

So, either our engines are different states of tune, or VW is lying. Both of which seem pretty strange.

I'd read that rating on US sites but was going by VW Canada official ratings, but yes, we have long held that it feels like 200 or so, so we will confirm and update shortly... maybe its because our Canadian lb-ft are just that much stronger...

I think the US initially tried to launch it claiming 185 when it was really 200 as well, perhaps to give the A3 1.8T an advantage on paper, but they eventually just reverted to the correct number....

So our VW representative won't come right out and say it, but yeah, it's 200.

Also, the note on fuel consumption has been revised: an extra receipt was found wadded up with some napkins that put it right on the 8.0, but our most recent tank of city driving saw it climb up to 8.15 L/100 km over 3,000 km combined. Our apologies.

and to allmanual: it has only a tiny gear indicator in the screen between the gauges with arrow to upshift when revs are high, but it's barely noticeable and completely passive.

I used cruise control sparingly, but at the speeds i was traveling and the mild inclines on our route, there was no issue maintaining cruise in 5th when I used it. however, steeper terrain, speeds under 110, yeah, i imagine there would be times when 4th is required.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2015, 11:39:22 am »
I found the clutch travel excessively long.  So much so that my leg is lifted off the seat just to press it at the beginning.  I'm sure they make it so long to make it so my-first-manual drivers have no problem with it...

Other minor complaint, being forced to take leatherette in anything but the base model.  Sure it's easy to clean, but who wants to stick to the sweaty seat all summer long? 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2015, 12:28:19 pm »
I found the clutch travel excessively long.  So much so that my leg is lifted off the seat just to press it at the beginning.  I'm sure they make it so long to make it so my-first-manual drivers have no problem with it...

Other minor complaint, being forced to take leatherette in anything but the base model.  Sure it's easy to clean, but who wants to stick to the sweaty seat all summer long?

Maybe stop wearing short-shorts?  ;D

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2015, 12:55:51 pm »

Maybe stop wearing short-shorts?  ;D
they're called Daisy Dukes in these parts.  ;)
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2015, 01:26:53 pm »

they're called Daisy Dukes in these parts.  ;)

I thought this is what the ladies like? :rofl2:

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2015, 09:41:01 pm »
@Jonathan:  I just finished my own 7 day "review" of a 2015 VW Golf TSI with the DSG.  It was a rental I picked up while waiting for my car to be repaired.  I very much agree with the points you made in your article.  I found this a thoroughly enjoyable and even engaging vehicle.  I especially appreciated the excellent control of NVH on this car and at this price point.  A bit of context:  I have owned a number of cars that compete in this space, most recently a 2012 Mazda3 Sport GT which was the highest trim level.  That car doesn't come close to the Golf in its NVH qualities, particularly road noise.  The Golf seems to have slayed this particular demon and then goes on to score highly for wind noise and general solidity.  I was very impressed.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2015, 10:11:43 pm »
@Jonathan:  I just finished my own 7 day "review" of a 2015 VW Golf TSI with the DSG.  It was a rental I picked up while waiting for my car to be repaired.  I very much agree with the points you made in your article.  I found this a thoroughly enjoyable and even engaging vehicle.  I especially appreciated the excellent control of NVH on this car and at this price point.  A bit of context:  I have owned a number of cars that compete in this space, most recently a 2012 Mazda3 Sport GT which was the highest trim level.  That car doesn't come close to the Golf in its NVH qualities, particularly road noise.  The Golf seems to have slayed this particular demon and then goes on to score highly for wind noise and general solidity.  I was very impressed.

Cool. The newer Mazdas (CX-3, 2016 CX-5 & 6) are better in that regard, but probably not quite to the Golf's level. For me the Golf's strongest point is the interior quality and buttoned down ride, but that quiet cabin is one of those pre,I'm feelings that can't be captured in numbers.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2015, 10:13:40 pm »

Cool. The newer Mazdas (CX-3, 2016 CX-5 & 6) are better in that regard, but probably not quite to the Golf's level. For me the Golf's strongest point is the interior quality and buttoned down ride, but that quiet cabin is one of those pre,I'm feelings that can't be captured in numbers.

Press ringer, eh?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2015, 10:27:13 pm »

Press ringer, eh?

The CX-3?  :foil:

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2015, 10:30:30 pm »
Its strange, I test drove 2 differnt golfs and I didn't find the nvh to be particularly good....   probqbly better than civic but it wasn't impressive or anything.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2015, 10:33:24 pm »
Its strange, I test drove 2 differnt golfs and I didn't find the nvh to be particularly good....   probqbly better than civic but it wasn't impressive or anything.

Yea, same here.  To the point of me thinking "what's all the fuss?".

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2015, 06:06:47 am »

Yea, same here.  To the point of me thinking "what's all the fuss?".
It's all about what your comparing it with.  I haven't driven either of the last 2 gens of Civic, but I have owned a Mazda3.  That's my comparison.  It's a *lot* quieter than the Mazda3....a car that I liked very much in every other way.

Offline jman72

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-5
  • petrolhead
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Golf GTI
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2015, 06:48:52 am »
@Jonathan:  I just finished my own 7 day "review" of a 2015 VW Golf TSI with the DSG.

I think the TSI has a conventional auto, not DSG...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2015, 06:50:18 am »
@Jonathan:  I just finished my own 7 day "review" of a 2015 VW Golf TSI with the DSG.

I was just going to say that. You have to move up to the GTI or Audi to get the DSG.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2015, 07:27:38 am »

I was just going to say that. You have to move up to the GTI or Audi to get the DSG.
Ah!  Thanks.