Author Topic: Problem with www.autopartsway.ca  (Read 105962 times)

Offline apw_rep

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-12
    • View Profile
    • AutoPartsWAY.ca
  • Cars: 2008 Acura MDX
Re: Problem with www.autopartsway.ca
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2013, 02:33:57 pm »
Hey guys. My name is Andrew and I work for AutoPartsWAY.ca.  I am surprised to see all these negative post, especially since almost every negative one comes from a customer that has only 1 or 2 posts. 

Anyway, I am here to assist anyone that has any kind of issue.  If you need any kind of assistance please PM me and I'll gladly help.
AutoPartsWAY.ca - Better Service, Larger Selection, Friendly Website

Offline MikeD

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VWs
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2013, 10:42:41 am »
Hi Andrew,

On Feb. 27 I placed an order with autopartsway.ca. When I went to check out the order it was declined. Thinking I may have entered incorrect billing/adress information I reviewed the order details and resubmitted. Again it was declined.

When I checked my bank account the amount for my order had been withdrawn twice (likely because I submitted the order twice). This happened despite the statement on the website that orders would not be charged until they are shipped.

I called autopartsway the following day and was told that the order had in fact been declined and that the money would be refunded within 3-4 business days. I was told the reason for the decline was that my billing adress differed from the one listed for the debit card.

My question to you is why would my account be charged despite both the order being declined and the policy on your website stating orders will not be charged until they are shipped?

This is my first time dealing with autopartsway.ca but not the first time buying parts online. I hope to deal with you again but my experience so far has not been good. If you can provide any information that might help I would really appreciate it.

P.S. I think the reason people posting complaints here only have a few posts is that this forum may be the only way for their voices to be heard. When I called your company I was on hold for 20 minutes. When I finally got through, there was a significant voice delay, making communication cumbersome. I was given unsatisfactory answers to my questions and my call was inexplicably cut short. Overall I did not have a good experience with your company.

Offline apw_rep

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
    • AutoPartsWAY.ca
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2013, 11:21:59 am »
@ MikeD

If you want to PM me your email address so I can check the system, I can verify 100% for you, but most likely, I can say with 99.99999% confidence that your account was not charge, it was only authorized.

Basically, and a lot of people don't know this, when you place an order with any merchant online or offline there are 2 things that happen.  Either the merchant charges you direct (which is called a sale), or the merchant authorizes the card only, which is what we do.  Authorization basically means that we send your info to a credit card processing company, the verify your address and that they can charge the card for the amount of the order and they send us a status depending on the outcome.  If your transaction is approved, you we receive a success status, the order goes to our warehouse for shipment and once it ships (tracking is in the system) we turn the PreAuthorized transaction into a PostAuthorization, which is another name for sale.  This all happens automatically, there is no human involved, so your card really can never be actually charged without an order being shipped.  The only exception is pre-paid debit cards, since they work differently.

Now you stated that your order was declined because of an address error.  In such cases there is still a declined authorization on your card for a few days for the amount of the order.  This is not for us, but for every single merchant out there, since this is the only way the credit card system works. Basically this is because every credit card processing company is required to check fund availability and hold it, before they go through the other anti fraud verifications such as checking the address. Also it is a security percussion, since if someone actually did steal your card and tried to use it with their own address, that declined amount would not be available to them for a few days, enough time for you or your bank to realize that the card is being mis-used. 

Now in Canada there is only 1 way to get the declined pre-auth off your card by the merchant.  And that requires you to call your bank, they will send you a release form, you would have to send that form to us, we would sign it and fax back to your bank.  It a time consuming process, but as of right now this is the only way to release a pre-auth from a credit card in Canada. In the USA its much easier, but in Canada this is the only way.

As far as your phone time goes, we are working on eliminating the phone completely.  We've had the phone on our website for many,many years and more on more we've come to realize that it is simply not a working form of communication.  You will still be able to speak to us, but only after you request it through the other forms of communications that we offer.

Right now we offer live only chat, which is a fantastic way to communicate. Not only do you get a live agent, you also have a complete record of the whole conversation, and so do we, and that conversation is attached to your account for any agent to see in full details.  We also have email, with an average response time ( I just checked) of 1 hour 32 minutes.  Plus you have a Feedback link twice on every page of the website that goes directly to management.  Try sending any email where you are not satisfied with something and you'll have more than one person calling you in minutes. 

Lastly you may ask why phone doesn't work.  Well let me start by saying that we don't outsource our customer service to any call centers.  We keep everything our own and in North America.  However 92% of the calls that we get are from people that have no intention of buying anything from us, they are basically calling for any of the following reasons:

1. Get free mechanic advice to see if their mechanic is telling them the truth
2. Diagnose their car hoping we tell them what they need so when they go to a mechanic they have an idea of cost
3. Confirm that the mechanic gave them the right diagnosis

Plus on top of that many conversations start like "I have this noise in my car, its banging when I accelerate".  So we ask what vehicle is it?  The response "Its a Jetta". After that we'll usually get the year of the vehicle, but further details like the engine, trim, sub-model, suspension type people have no idea about.  And the above is really 92% of all calls that we get.  So that leaves 8% of actual customers that are calling to make a purchase of for legitimate customer service reasons. 

This is really one of the reasons why most e-commerce companies are eliminating the phone.  So you're thinking this will make communication with us more difficult and we don't believe so.  Here is why:

1. If you contact us by chat or email and you state you want to speak to someone, we will generate a phone number for you to call. The number will be unique and valid for a short time frame, like 90 minutes or something.  You will call that number and speak to an agent right away.  If you publish that number, it will no longer work after the short time fram.  This means we can have less reps on phones, but no hold time for customers. 

2. 7 days after you place an order, you will receive a follow-up email (we've already implemented this last month).  The email will be from one of our agents asking if everything is with your order as it should be. If yes, great.  If no, you can reply to that email with the issue, and that agent then becomes dedicated to your account and fixing any problem you may have.  So instead of you having to reach out to us, we actually reach out to you.

I hope that addresses your questions.

Sorry about the long post.  One of my duties is to create openness between our company and our customers and to get feedback and ideas so that we can always adjust our services to customers needs.  It is my intention to participate in these forums on a daily basis. 

Offline MikeD

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2013, 11:46:28 am »
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the quick reply. I should let you know that I did not use a credit card, I used a debit card which was charged directly. What, then, is the procedure for this? My statement shows two separate withdrawals, both on the same day, for the same amount. So the money came out of my account and is not there right now.

My feeling is that if the amounts were withdrawn then the transaction was a success. And given that I used a debit card, the pre-authorization would not apply since the funds were transferred directly form my bank account to yours.

Look forward to your clarification and thank you for taking the time to address my concerns.

-Mike

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2013, 12:38:58 pm »
Live chat sucks  :nono:

Offline MikeD

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2013, 01:02:17 pm »
Fair enough but I was charged the full amount, and twice. To me the issue is not that my card was declined (although the reason is still not clear to me), it's that despite being declined my account was still charged. I've been buying parts online for many years and this is the first time I've had an issue like this.

Not only that, I used a bank card. The amounts came out of my account immediately after attempting to place the order. The order therefore should have been confirmed and shipped.

Offline apw_rep

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
    • AutoPartsWAY.ca
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2013, 01:02:36 pm »
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the quick reply. I should let you know that I did not use a credit card, I used a debit card which was charged directly. What, then, is the procedure for this? My statement shows two separate withdrawals, both on the same day, for the same amount. So the money came out of my account and is not there right now.

My feeling is that if the amounts were withdrawn then the transaction was a success. And given that I used a debit card, the pre-authorization would not apply since the funds were transferred directly form my bank account to yours.

Look forward to your clarification and thank you for taking the time to address my concerns.

-Mike

Mike, give me your order number.  That will make things much clearer.

Offline apw_rep

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
    • AutoPartsWAY.ca
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2013, 01:06:47 pm »
Some merchants apply a tiny transaction to the card to make sure it is valid.

Yes, but that is usually only for things that you pre-order or things that are not shipped right away.  And even then, the merchant actually charges the full amount before actually shipping the product. 

It wouldn't be efficient in our case since our orders are packaged and out the door very quickly.  Minutes to hours, instead of days.

Offline apw_rep

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
    • AutoPartsWAY.ca
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2013, 01:09:24 pm »
MikeD - PM me your emial and full name so I can look up your info and know exactly what's going on.

Offline MikeD

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2013, 01:50:16 pm »
Hi Andrew,

Just PMed you.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2013, 01:54:08 pm »
Live chat sucks  :nono:

Yep, if a company wants my business they need to answer their damn phone when there is a problem and not leave me floundering around with an automated answering system.  I find it disrespectful....as if they are saying their time is more valuable than mine. >:(
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline apw_rep

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
    • AutoPartsWAY.ca
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2013, 02:19:59 pm »
@Mike, I just replied to your PM.  You're all set.

@sailor723 - I don't make decisions, I only know what is planned, but I must agree with this one.  I personally don't know when the last time I pickup up a phone and called any online company about anything. And I do all my shopping online. I shop a lot on Amazon among others, and Amazon tends to mess up my order quite often.  I just get on their live chat, I tell them the problem and while they fix it, I surf the web, answer forums  :), and do my job.  I look at the chat every few minutes and just answer any questions they may have, and I do it on my own time, when I feel like going to that window.  If I have questions about an item I email them, let them do their research and email me back.  And here is why I think that works better than the phone.

If I had problem with an order and I called, I would waste time listening to them apologize, ask if it is OK to be put on hold, ask if they answered all my questions, etc.  And if they had questions I would have to answer right away.  I could still kind of surf the web, and kind of do other stuff at the same time, but it wouldn't be as easy for me, because if they asked a questions I would have to answer right away, on their time and if they spoke I would have to listen and remember.  With live chat I answer their questions on my time, I read and have a record of the conversation and I read it whenever I want, not when they are speaking.  In the end I will end up with the same result but feel much less restricted through chat than phone.

For pre-sales question, if I called Amazon, or any other company, I would not expect the rep that picks up to know anything more about the part that I see on the website.  So when years ago I used to call I would sit on hold while they do their research.  Quite honestly, I have much better things to do than wait for a rep on the phone to contact the manufacturer/manager/warehouse etc to get product info.  I much prefer to spend 15 seconds sending an email and get an answer later in my email box, than to wait on the phone.

Again, the above is my personal opinion of how I and many people I know shop online.  It is not necessarily the opinion of APW.  Having said that, I also fully understand that everyone is different and everyone has their own shopping habits and preferences. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2013, 02:21:43 pm »
@Mike, I just replied to your PM.  You're all set.

@sailor723 - I don't make decisions, I only know what is planned, but I must agree with this one.  I personally don't know when the last time I pickup up a phone and called any online company about anything. And I do all my shopping online. I shop a lot on Amazon among others, and Amazon tends to mess up my order quite often.  I just get on their live chat, I tell them the problem and while they fix it, I surf the web, answer forums  :), and do my job.  I look at the chat every few minutes and just answer any questions they may have, and I do it on my own time, when I feel like going to that window.  If I have questions about an item I email them, let them do their research and email me back.  And here is why I think that works better than the phone.

If I had problem with an order and I called, I would waste time listening to them apologize, ask if it is OK to be put on hold, ask if they answered all my questions, etc.  And if they had questions I would have to answer right away.  I could still kind of surf the web, and kind of do other stuff at the same time, but it wouldn't be as easy for me, because if they asked a questions I would have to answer right away, on their time and if they spoke I would have to listen and remember.  With live chat I answer their questions on my time, I read and have a record of the conversation and I read it whenever I want, not when they are speaking.  In the end I will end up with the same result but feel much less restricted through chat than phone.

For pre-sales question, if I called Amazon, or any other company, I would not expect the rep that picks up to know anything more about the part that I see on the website.  So when years ago I used to call I would sit on hold while they do their research.  Quite honestly, I have much better things to do than wait for a rep on the phone to contact the manufacturer/manager/warehouse etc to get product info.  I much prefer to spend 15 seconds sending an email and get an answer later in my email box, than to wait on the phone.

Again, the above is my personal opinion of how I and many people I know shop online.  It is not necessarily the opinion of APW.  Having said that, I also fully understand that everyone is different and everyone has their own shopping habits and preferences.

Your personal opinion sucks, I am with sailor , try doing a live chat with me and you will be sorry  :rofl:

Offline apw_rep

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
    • AutoPartsWAY.ca
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2013, 02:23:14 pm »
Its funny, right after I typed that I went on Amazon website to see if they even have a phone number and I don't see one anywhere. 

Offline MikeD

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2013, 02:42:35 pm »
Hi andrew,

Just received your PM. I will follow up next week once I have received the refund. Again thank you for your assistance.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2013, 02:43:47 pm »
Its funny, right after I typed that I went on Amazon website to see if they even have a phone number and I don't see one anywhere.

Tirerack.com has great customer service/product advice by phone. My wife shops online a lot at sites like Saks, Neiman Marcus, LL Bean, Lands End, Coach etc etc all have prompt and efficient service if you need to call. I regularly order stuff online but if there is an issue I want to be able to speak to someone directly with no fuss.....it's called "customer service" and unfortunately is something American companies seem to do better than their Canadian counterparts on average.

Mike...I would never use my debit card online. If there is a problem or fraud a credit card company can be your best friend.

Offline apw_rep

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
    • AutoPartsWAY.ca
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2013, 03:06:06 pm »
@Mike - I agree with sailor723 about debit cards.  Our site is as safe as they get, but I still advise anyone agains using a debit card online or even in any physical. 

Let me tell you about what happened to me and my AMEX card about 2 years ago.  I have this card in my wallet constantly but never used it for anything.  Not once.  Somehow someone in the USA tried to use my card at BestBuy.  AMEX called me and asked if I have the card, I said yes, they said someone tried to use it.  They said to shred the card and they would send replacement.  I asked how is that possible, and AMEX said someone on the street must have had a device that duplicated the card while it was in my wallet.

Second Story, a friend of mine had a debit card.  She was always paranoid and used it only at her bank branch ATM.  Anyway, someone still found a way to withdraw lots of money from her account, using a duplicate of her card.  Bank gave her all money back, but the fraud at this point is unbelievable.

Offline apw_rep

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
    • AutoPartsWAY.ca
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2013, 03:14:44 pm »
sailor723 - I didn't say there would be no phone at all.  I just said there would not be a phone blasted all over to top of every page.  If you want to speak to someone, just use live chat or email, say I need a phone number and we give you one unique for you that expires after a certain amount of time.  That way you get to speak to someone right away, because it eliminates the 92% of people that call to get free mechanic advice.  So in practice it makes your service better as it basically removes phone spam from our lines.  eBay does it this way, although instead of a unique phone number they give you a unique code to enter without which the phone number is useless.

Plus the phone number will always be there for customers with previous orders, so when you log into the website, the phone number shows up right on top. 

Offline apw_rep

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
    • AutoPartsWAY.ca
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2013, 03:20:01 pm »
Guys do you mind if we change to a new forum post?  Right now, we've moved in so many directions and discussions, that we should probably move away from this old post. I think this topic should be for customers that have an issue that I can help resolve, but for general opinion discussions we should start a new topic.

Offline apw_rep

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
    • AutoPartsWAY.ca
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2013, 03:24:43 pm »