Author Topic: Auto Tech: Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra Engine Lineup  (Read 4724 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Auto Tech: Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra Engine Lineup
« on: February 11, 2013, 06:25:56 am »

We take an in-depth look at the technologies that GM has implemented in their 'Ecotec 3' pickup truck engines.

Read More...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Auto Tech: Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra Engine Lineup
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 08:16:15 am »
Active Fuel Management is a bit of a joke, if you carry any kind of a load it will not drop down
Also you would think is you are sitting at red light, it would drop down but it does not  ::)

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 08:21:29 am »
All this technology and simulation sounds good.  Let's see what these engines will do in the real world for fuel economy and reliability.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:22:31 am »
Active Fuel Management is a bit of a joke, if you carry any kind of a load it will not drop down
Also you would think is you are sitting at red light, it would drop down but it does not  ::)

Sort of like all these start-stop features...that don't operate when it is cold out.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +251/-764
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 08:55:55 am »
GM is not going very far to induce anyone who would otherwise have opted for a V8 to get a V6 instead...

Sure they are. The base engine in a extended cab or crew cab 4x4 is currently the 4.8, which is gone in the new generation. Since the new 4.3 should be a lot more powerful than the current one, it's safe to assume that it will be available in more configurations. I'd bet we're going to see a lot of lower end extended cab 4x4s on lots equipped with the V6.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 09:30:46 am »
Sounds a lot like a lazy, less impressive attempt at the skyactiv treatment...make better what you have without radical change (a la bull$h!t "Eco"boost).  Good effort, but weight savings, lowering Coefficient of Drag, and transmission changes could make a much bigger difference.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 09:31:38 am »
GM is not going very far to induce anyone who would otherwise have opted for a V8 to get a V6 instead...

Sure they are. The base engine in a extended cab or crew cab 4x4 is currently the 4.8, which is gone in the new generation. Since the new 4.3 should be a lot more powerful than the current one, it's safe to assume that it will be available in more configurations. I'd bet we're going to see a lot of lower end extended cab 4x4s on lots equipped with the V6.

At most that establishes that those who might have previously gone with the outgoing 4.8 V8 might now instead opt for the 4.3 V6.  Fair enough.  But no one shopping from within the new suite of V8 engines has a performance based reason to go with the 4.3 V6 over one of the new V8s.  This is unlike Ford.  The Ecoboost is the higher performance engine relative to the 5.0 V8.

Fair enough. It's certainly a different approach.

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 10:08:26 am »
 Sounds like GM is blowing a bit of hot air up our wazoos here...A buddy of mine bought a base 2WD, posi rear-ended, Ford short bed ,new, about 4 months ago, with the 3.7 N/A V-6...Loves the little truck..I do too..The standard steel wheels look nice..It's a standard cab, but it has an extraordinary amount of room behind the seats...Like maybe 1-1.5 feet. He says he's getting over 20 MPG running around locally. And had seen 25-26 on the highway..I think he said he paid 25 thou for it...What a neat little truck...The new Dodge V-6 looks good too....But I have no first hand experiences with it as yet...Anybody here?   Jack

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 11:01:25 am »
Sounds like GM is blowing a bit of hot air up our wazoos here...A buddy of mine bought a base 2WD, posi rear-ended, Ford short bed ,new, about 4 months ago, with the 3.7 N/A V-6...Loves the little truck..I do too..The standard steel wheels look nice..It's a standard cab, but it has an extraordinary amount of room behind the seats...Like maybe 1-1.5 feet. He says he's getting over 20 MPG running around locally. And had seen 25-26 on the highway..I think he said he paid 25 thou for it...What a neat little truck...The new Dodge V-6 looks good too....But I have no first hand experiences with it as yet...Anybody here?   Jack

That pretty shitty for a little truck , I get 15l/100km , in a truck that looks like a brick with a ladder on top of it

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 11:36:41 am »
That pretty shitty for a little truck , I get 15l/100km , in a truck that looks like a brick with a ladder on top of it

Really depends what kind of gallons we're talking about here. Anything over 20 U.S. MPG is pretty damn good for a full size truck.

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 02:28:18 pm »
Sounds a lot like a lazy, less impressive attempt at the skyactiv treatment...make better what you have without radical change (a la bull$h!t "Eco"boost).  Good effort, but weight savings, lowering Coefficient of Drag, and transmission changes could make a much bigger difference.

So basically what Ram did with the new 2013 1500.