Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 429921 times)

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #780 on: December 11, 2017, 07:03:52 pm »
So I decided to do it, switched the liability insurance coverage from my van to motorcycle and storage insurance coverage the other way. Feels great to be on two wheels again even if it's just temporarily, I needed this. In -1 weather, just my exposed neck felt cold. I'll pop by MEC on the way home to grab a neck gaiter. I have to grab a Secret Santa gift anyway and my lazy side says my recipient who's an avid cyclist will like an MEC gift card.

I do have heated grips I should install.
I have a neck gaiter and it makes a big difference not having cold air rush down one's jacket !
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #781 on: December 12, 2017, 12:50:21 pm »
More my neck! My face is still cold from the vents. I need a pinlock insert but Fortnine doesn't have any.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #782 on: December 12, 2017, 01:22:13 pm »
More my neck! My face is still cold from the vents. I need a pinlock insert but Fortnine doesn't have any.

I wear a balaclava.
Also, I'm a big believer in "Shop Local". FortNine is just a mail-order middle-man. They just take your order and place it with another online back-end company on your behalf. They have no stock, no warehouse, no physical location. Your local shop does, and with it more support, more accountability and more flow-on benefits for your motorcycling community as a whole. Including a place to meet and go look at bike stuff.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #783 on: December 12, 2017, 01:50:36 pm »
FortNine is just a mail-order middle-man. They just take your order and place it with another online back-end company on your behalf. They have no stock, no warehouse, no physical location. Your local shop does, and with it more support, more accountability and more flow-on benefits for your motorcycling community as a whole. Including a place to meet and go look at bike stuff.
don't forget amazing review videos by Ryan.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: December 12, 2017, 01:58:38 pm »
Don't forget amazing review videos by Ryan.

True, his review videos are awesome. His Z125 vid was brilliant. Still: #shoplocal

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: December 12, 2017, 04:56:12 pm »
Don't forget amazing review videos by Ryan.

True, his review videos are awesome. His Z125 vid was brilliant. Still: #shoplocal

I stopped shopping local long ago for bike stuff.  Got tired of being being bled dry.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #786 on: December 12, 2017, 05:05:58 pm »

I wear a balaclava.
Also, I'm a big believer in "Shop Local". FortNine is just a mail-order middle-man. They just take your order and place it with another online back-end company on your behalf. They have no stock, no warehouse, no physical location. Your local shop does, and with it more support, more accountability and more flow-on benefits for your motorcycling community as a whole. Including a place to meet and go look at bike stuff.

I wish there was a place to "shop local", the local Harley/Honda dealer seems to ignore customers who don't ride hogs, the Kawi/Suzi dealer went belly-up shortly after the owners retired and sold to some folks who just never seemed to get the gist of the business.   
A friend recently checked inventory on a shop's website, drove 2 hours to get there and found that nobody updates their website in a timely manner and none of the stuff he wanted to try on was there.  One of the owners ended up taking care of him and ordered and shipped his gear so it turned out ok,  but the only advantage of a local shop is if they have something for you to buy when you are physically there.
Mr Pickypants

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: December 12, 2017, 08:04:18 pm »
I wear a balaclava.

Yea I'll look for the pinlock insert locally, and I bought my helmet locally as well as I got a decent deal, but the local shops never seem to have the style jackets and pants I want.

I didn't want to look like a bank robber, but I think the balaclava Costco sells is instantly convertible between full face and neck gaiter.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: December 12, 2017, 08:35:03 pm »
I wear a balaclava.

Yea I'll look for the pinlock insert locally, and I bought my helmet locally as well as I got a decent deal, but the local shops never seem to have the style jackets and pants I want.

I didn't want to look like a bank robber, but I think the balaclava Costco sells is instantly convertible between full face and neck gaiter.

I have a merino Buff.  Converts into hat, balaclava, neck gaiter, etc.  Packs small too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=sSvRm4CHmvE

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: December 14, 2017, 10:35:52 am »
Today was my first-ever sub-zero ride. -13 here in Toronto today.
Should have worn warmer socks.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: December 14, 2017, 10:49:23 am »
Are we getting a review on the Kawasaki Z125? Looks like a pile of fun for a low cost.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: December 14, 2017, 10:55:15 am »
Are we getting a review on the Kawasaki Z125? Looks like a pile of fun for a low cost.

I've reviewed this bike already, but this one is my personal bike.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: December 14, 2017, 11:24:15 am »

I've reviewed this bike already, but this one is my personal bike.
Didn't realise you picked one up !

You don't worry about the salt and corrosion ?

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #793 on: December 14, 2017, 11:44:35 am »
Jacob, your nuts!! I can't imagine what kind of traction you're getting with the tires in that weather. I'd ride into late October some years & could feel the loss of traction immensely, never mind in -13ºC.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #794 on: December 14, 2017, 11:53:33 am »
Awesome, Jacob! Glad I’m not the only crazy one!

I only sat on a Z125 Pro but it’s a little bigger than Grom?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: December 14, 2017, 07:02:53 pm »
So I picked up a pinlock insert for my helmet at the local shop, only $20! Half the price what Fortnine was asking. And man does it work, I can’t believe I didn’t grab one years ago.

Also, went on a ride on the Westside Road. I’ll get a video together.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: December 14, 2017, 07:52:45 pm »
So I picked up a pinlock insert for my helmet at the local shop, only $20! Half the price what Fortnine was asking. And man does it work, I can’t believe I didn’t grab one years ago.

Also, went on a ride on the Westside Road. I’ll get a video together.
How is the weather there ? It's just been too cold for me.......

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: December 15, 2017, 12:16:22 pm »
A couple of degrees freezing during the ride. It's certainly colder on a motorcycle than a scooter with the lack of wind protection but I was only mildly cold during the ride. It wasn't stopping me from applying more throttle.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: December 24, 2017, 11:51:50 pm »
Got lucky a few days ago with the weather. Back where my parents live, went on a motorcycle ride with my buddy again since he had the day off and the weather was relatively warm (10-12° max), this time on his BMW S1000R. Took a leisurely ride for 2h on some of the backroads, crossed 3 county lines. Not very technical or hilly (actually, very flat) but the coarse loose pavement was its own bag of marbles.

https://youtu.be/zZvvbQPHPr0

Thoughts:

1. Heated grips are nice  ;D
2. BMWs are easy to ride, if not totally soul-stirring.
3. I don't desire a litre bike. That "leave it in any gear" torque is cool, but it's impossible to really "use all the power". I'm the kind of guy who likes to wring the last bit out of a car/bike.......
4. The electronic gizmos (adjustable damping, ride modes, cruise control......) are interesting and I tried them all. Only care for the quickshifter, which isn't quite 100% there in this implementation.
5. Unsurprisingly, I see the appeal of naked bikes.........but I still prefer a real windscreen and the forward riding position. I found myself head down, body forward 80% of the time just out of habit.

Would be interesting to see how my impressions would change if I rode one of these in my "home" territory in the mountains.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: January 06, 2018, 01:54:06 pm »
Very cool.