Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 GMC Acadia  (Read 7881 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2013 GMC Acadia
« on: February 27, 2013, 06:29:29 am »

The GMC Acadia proved its worth during a snowstorm, and overall impressed Peter Bleakney with its utility and drivability.

Read More...

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
Re: Test Drive: 2013 GMC Acadia
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 06:45:31 am »

The GMC Acadia proved its worth during a snowstorm, and overall impressed Peter Bleakney with its utility and drivability.

Read More...

Peter,

You allude to the Acadia being a handful when parking, but nothing more. How are the sight lines - being able to determine where the front and back are visually? What aids does GM provide for parking this beast? I'd also be curious how good outward visibility is towards the back. Lastly, one thing that tends to get overlooked regularly is night time visibility - how good are the headlights?

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 08:38:04 am »
 Nice vehicle...The General is doing very well of late..Good thing...Keep buying North American...( but that can be confusing...at least all the profits stay here)....I know that's antiquated thinking, but I still think that way...Yay team...Thanks. Nicely done..  Jack

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 08:54:12 am »
I walked by one the other day and did a double take on the new front end.  It's a pretty nice looking refresh.  I thought it looked even better in person.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 09:01:21 am »
I walked by one the other day and did a double take on the new front end.  It's a pretty nice looking refresh.  I thought it looked even better in person.
I like the refresh, they are getting a good reception at our dealership. Interior materials also are much better. And those rims on the Denali trim...wow. Still a huge brute though...
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 09:10:45 am »
Nicer looking vehicle than it's predecessor.

How is this a competitor to a minivan when a minivan can be had for 30K less ? I guess if you're comparing the high-end minivans but look at the numbers. It's the 20K Chrysler's that sells all day long. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 11:13:55 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 09:50:06 am »
Is the third row as useable and easy to get into as in a minivan?

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 09:59:07 am »
They really need a new steering wheel.. I've seen that wheel in an 2006 Impala!!

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 10:09:32 am »
id say so, damn easy

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 10:18:44 am »
The only thing I really didn't about about these was the middle row of seats.  For such a big vehicle I find they're mounted too close to the floor.  Maybe fine for a kid, but there wasn't enough of my legs touching the seat for it to be comfortable.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2109
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 10:19:10 am »
Id say this thing would get much better mileage with a small V8 in it, the 4.8 comes to mind. Its damn near 5000lbs, the review said the engine is just barely enough and now you expect me to believe that you can tow another 5000Lbs in it and the V6 will be enough?? Stick the 4.8 V8 in that with a proper longitudinal powertrain and this would be a much better vehicle for it. Otherwise its not bad looking and should be fairly cavernous for anyone needing space for kiddies.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 10:58:01 am »
How is this a competitor to a minivan when a minivan can be had for 30K less ? I guess if you're comparing the highend minivans but looks at the numbers. It's the 20K Chrysler's that sell all day long.

That's my thought - a base premium of ~$7000 just to get rid of the idea of a mommyvan is ridiculous.  This whole market is somewhat nuts.

There's a lot of competition in this segment, but I can't advise anyone to get these instead of a minivan given the price hike.  I think they need to be priced competitively with minivans, otherwise it's just a huge expense for a view.  Not worth it, in my opinion (which is my opinion).

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 11:46:14 am »
Nicer looking vehicle than it's predecessor.

How is this a competitor to a minivan when a minivan can be had for 30K less ? I guess if you're comparing the high-end minivans but look at the numbers. It's the 20K Chrysler's that sells all day long.

In that case, why buy a BMW, Lexus or Toyota? Just buy the smallest, cheapest car around or take a bus.

Northernridge

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 12:01:33 pm »
I've rented the Traverse several times to drive from Winnipeg to Regina (one of Canada's top 5 most boring drives – do it at night) and agree that these CUVs make good highway tourers on flat straight roads. They are seriously comfortable and in their element here...so comfortable that you won't even want to stop at Moosomin.

Northernridge

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 12:08:02 pm »
Other then the dashboard display, which I think is butt ugly, the interior doesn't look to bad. I agree with Fobroader, a vehicle this size really needs a V8 if you want to some serious towing.

Except for the steering wheel, GM has to ditch that ubiquitous ugly thing.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2109
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 12:17:06 pm »
I've rented the Traverse several times to drive from Winnipeg to Regina (one of Canada's top 5 most boring drives – do it at night) and agree that these CUVs make good highway tourers on flat straight roads. They are seriously comfortable and in their element here...so comfortable that you won't even want to stop at Moosomin.

How can you not pull over at the Esso in Moosomin??

Northernridge

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 12:28:53 pm »

How can you not pull over at the Esso in Moosomin??

It's not the Esso that beckons it's the RedBarn. Although I miss the old one.

Online Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +168/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 12:46:21 pm »
id say so, damn easy

I don't agree. When equipped with the 2nd-row bench, as was the Traverse we rented last summer, the folding/sliding seats are cumbersome to manoeuvre, esp. for children, and the high step-in / move around the seat combo is hard to accomplish.

The front buckets are adult-sized (and I'd say American adult - I was lost in there), but the back rows are too low to the floor for adults to be comfy. Trunk is Yaris-sized unless you drop part of the 3rd row.

The lambdas are good as smaller Tahoes, but as minivans, they vaccum.

Oh, and while the Traverse I drove was a fine turnpike cruiser, I was relying on the parking sensors to park that beast. Summer travels netted 12.6 l/100km - I get 8.6 out of the much more spacious Ody.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 01:02:13 pm »
id say so, damn easy

I don't agree. When equipped with the 2nd-row bench, as was the Traverse we rented last summer, the folding/sliding seats are cumbersome to manoeuvre, esp. for children, and the high step-in / move around the seat combo is hard to accomplish.

The front buckets are adult-sized (and I'd say American adult - I was lost in there), but the back rows are too low to the floor for adults to be comfy. Trunk is Yaris-sized unless you drop part of the 3rd row.

Oh, and while the Traverse I drove was a fine turnpike cruiser, I was relying on the parking sensors to park that beast. Summer travels netted 12.6 l/100km - I get 8.6 out of the much more spacious Ody.
I was talking about the second row captains chairs, like in the tester. Yes the bench is cumbersome, but why anyone would get it is anyone's guess vs the great seats in the 7 pass config. Yes there are compromises, and the Lambdas are some of the most spacious in the segment. I still say get a V70 or XC70 and be done with it - so much better and there even is a 7 passenger option.

Online Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +168/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 01:07:46 pm »
id say so, damn easy

I was talking about the second row captains chairs, like in the tester. Yes the bench is cumbersome, but why anyone would get it is anyone's guess vs the great seats in the 7 pass config. Yes there are compromises, and the Lambdas are some of the most spacious in the segment. I still say get a V70 or XC70 and be done with it - so much better and there even is a 7 passenger option.

A month later I rented a Flex for a long work-related trip, and what a difference from the driver's seat!  You can park the Ford easily, and the trunk behind the 3rd row is more useful. All seats more comfy for adults. It's also quite enjoyable to drive. Got the same 12.6 l/100km though...