Author Topic: Oil change gone wrong!  (Read 37969 times)

Offline Stepside78

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Nissan Versa Note
Oil change gone wrong!
« on: November 05, 2014, 01:58:12 pm »
Took my 2014 Nissan Versa Note in for first oil change at 6 months. Told service was done and handed the keys. Drove away with car sounding strange. Got about 4 km down the road...then it started. Warning lights flashing, car sputtering, floorboards heating up! Turned around and went back to dealership. No oil was put back in my car!! Have been fighting with dealer and manufacturer for almost 2 months now! I want a buy back or a new car. Dealership says no damage has been done...BS! Nissan Canada says they can't help me at all! Nissan Canada said they would conduct an investigation? What kind of investigation does not include looking at the car? Was told by dealer that if motor blows the warranty will cover it? I shouldn't have to worry about anything, that is why I bought a new car? Am at a total loss as to what to do now? Retain a lawyer?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: Oil change gone wrong!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 02:01:51 pm »
Wow that sucks.  Shouldn't have driven back though that likely caused more damage.

I'm confused how there was no low oil pressure light immediately, with no oil that light should have been on right away.

Get a lawyer I guess.  Or drain oil, rev car till it blows, put oil back in claim it blew up driving to work.

Don't actually do that..

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 02:08:35 pm »
Can a car really drive 4km with NO oil in it?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 02:15:17 pm »
Can a car really drive 4km with NO oil in it?
Modern synthetic oil ...I bet it can.  The cooling system should keep the bores cool enough for a bit and the bottom end probably has enough of an oil film to last for a few minutes.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 02:31:14 pm »
sorry to hear about it...but this is the typical Nissan response.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 02:32:53 pm »
That sucks buddy....I would get a lawyer and see what you can do. It is totally their fault and they should fix it by either giving you another car or installing a new engine.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 02:34:45 pm »
That sucks buddy....I would get a lawyer and see what you can do. It is totally their fault and they should fix it by either giving you another car or installing a new engine.

I thought they did fix it by finally putting oil in it. ;)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 02:35:52 pm »

I thought they did fix it by finally putting oil in it. ;)

Thats like shooting someone, throwing them a bandaid and leaving them with a smirk on your face and a  "my bad man" .

Offline Stepside78

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 02:43:18 pm »
Is the vehicle giving you any trouble?  Is it consuming oil, running roughly, experiencing poor fuel economy?
The car is idling very rough, fuel economy is the pits! Was cold the other morning, frost on windows, drove for 15 minute, heat on high and back driver and passenger windows were still iced up!

Offline Stepside78

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 02:45:55 pm »
At cold start you can hear the cam bearing knocking. Tranny isn't smooth anymore? But, according to Nissan mechanic, it's running smoother than a newer car!

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 02:47:09 pm »
Wouldn't no oil pressure cause the CEL to light up as well? I'm amazed the OP got that far before realizing something was seriously wrong, unless it was  a loose oil drain plug that let the oil leak out more or less gradually. Bad news either way and the dealer definitely needs to make things right.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 02:47:18 pm »
Is the vehicle giving you any trouble?  Is it consuming oil, running roughly, experiencing poor fuel economy?
The car is idling very rough, fuel economy is the pits! Was cold the other morning, frost on windows, drove for 15 minute, heat on high and back driver and passenger windows were still iced up!

I cant believe its still running......  :o :o I would lawyer up, they want to play dirty dealer tricks, you come in swinging.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 02:48:39 pm »

What was your f/e when you bought the car, 1 month before this service and now. Please use real numbers.

Offline Stepside78

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 02:51:23 pm »
This is a pic of the intake spout? For oil. Notice the black grit around the mouth of it. Was told that was nothing. They strained the oil and told us it came out clean?

Offline Stepside78

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 02:53:07 pm »

What was your f/e when you bought the car, 1 month before this service and now. Please use real numbers.
I can't tell you real numbers, I can however tell you that we took a trip an hour and a half drive back and forth, before oil change used 1/4 tank of gas, after oil change 3/4 tank

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 02:59:53 pm »
Or drain oil, rev car till it blows, put oil back in claim it blew up driving to work.

I'm tempted to think this is the only reasonable solution.
Mr Pickypants

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 03:01:24 pm »

I can't tell you real numbers, I can however tell you that we took a trip an hour and a half drive back and forth, before oil change used 1/4 tank of gas, after oil change 3/4 tank

You will need to be more specific than that if you want a remedy.  Hand calculate the exact fuel economy.

+1  If you want to be taken seriously by Nissan you have a lot of work to do on your end.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 03:01:50 pm »
Or drain oil, rev car till it blows, put oil back in claim it blew up driving to work.

I'm tempted to think this is the only reasonable solution.

I am tending to agree.....even the dealer said drive it till she blows....just expedite the process a bit.....

Offline Scarecrow

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +41/-17
  • Cars on the brain
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda6, Mazda MX-5 Miata (sold), Shelby 427S/C Cobra, Triumph Tiger 750
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 03:07:15 pm »
Contact CAMVAP: www.camvap.ca.

Took my 2014 Nissan Versa Note in for first oil change at 6 months. Told service was done and handed the keys. Drove away with car sounding strange. Got about 4 km down the road...then it started. Warning lights flashing, car sputtering, floorboards heating up! Turned around and went back to dealership. No oil was put back in my car!! Have been fighting with dealer and manufacturer for almost 2 months now! I want a buy back or a new car. Dealership says no damage has been done...BS! Nissan Canada says they can't help me at all! Nissan Canada said they would conduct an investigation? What kind of investigation does not include looking at the car? Was told by dealer that if motor blows the warranty will cover it? I shouldn't have to worry about anything, that is why I bought a new car? Am at a total loss as to what to do now? Retain a lawyer?
"Anyone who drives faster than you is a Maniac,
and anyone who drives slower is an Idiot." - George Carlin

Offline Stepside78

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2014, 03:09:40 pm »

You will need to be more specific than that if you want a remedy.  Hand calculate the exact fuel economy.

+1  If you want to be taken seriously by Nissan you have a lot of work to do on your end.
I've contacted OMNVIC, awaiting response and have also contacted CBC Marketplace. Am in the process of finding an appropriate lawyer. Reading about CAMVAC?