Author Topic: First X5 warranty claim  (Read 33783 times)

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
Re: First X5 warranty claim
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2019, 12:10:50 am »
Can I point out that my 2004 Lexus has 292,000km on it and all four soft-close door actuators/motors are working perfectly? Actually, five, because the trunk is soft close too.

There's a reason Lexus was at the top of the recent most reliable automotive brand list.  ;D

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2019, 12:12:41 am »

Fun and games until the accountants get a hold of it. 90s Toyota Camrys were a good example. Every new model was cheaper and cheaper.   Back to the BMW; Soft close doors? Drivers can't swing a door?

I know. That's such a superfluous feature in a car, especially a daily-driven car like X5.
It MIGHT make sense in a Rolls-Royce, but not in a car that usually gets driven every day.

Was one of the options I thought it was really silly too. Until I had it in my LS.

One of the options I miss.

It's fine if it works every day.  Like the soft-close trunk my dad's '88 Caddy had.  It worked every day until we drove it to the ground.  Of course, a trunk lid does not get used as often as a driver's door would.

FWIW, if the motor dies in the Lexus....it's a $7 part.  No, I'm not joking.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2019, 04:44:54 am »
I have an appointment to have the motor installed at 9:00 Weds. morning in Moncton. The long range forecast right now is for snow and ice pellets Tuesday into Wednesday. This is the PITA part of not having a local dealer.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2019, 12:02:25 pm »

Fun and games until the accountants get a hold of it. 90s Toyota Camrys were a good example. Every new model was cheaper and cheaper.   Back to the BMW; Soft close doors? Drivers can't swing a door?

I know. That's such a superfluous feature in a car, especially a daily-driven car like X5.
It MIGHT make sense in a Rolls-Royce, but not in a car that usually gets driven every day.

Was one of the options I thought it was really silly too. Until I had it in my LS.

It's fine if it works every day.  Like the soft-close trunk my dad's '88 Caddy had.  It worked every day until we drove it to the ground.  Of course, a trunk lid does not get used as often as a driver's door would.

:o That's cheaper than the actuator on my MDX's mirror cost me.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2019, 03:15:49 pm »

For the sake of honestly, that's the DIY cost.

It's just an easy to find generic little motor.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2019, 07:55:30 am »

For the sake of honestly, that's the DIY cost.

It's just an easy to find generic little motor.

Oh I know you'd do that yourself. I changed my mirror actuator myself, too.
That motor looks like one I had in my toy car 25 years ago lol

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2019, 05:21:52 pm »
Finally got up to Moncton today to have the part installed. Took about 2 hours including them running the car through the wash bay afterwards. Had a very nice new 530i M sport as a loaner to run a couple of errants while the X5 was in the shop. Kudos to BMW Moncton for great customer service!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2019, 06:08:00 pm »
Had a very nice new 530i M sport

Isn't that the 4 cyl model. Oh the horror of a 4 cyl in a mid size luxury car.  :rofl2:

Seriously....How did you find the engine?

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2019, 07:59:53 pm »

Isn't that the 4 cyl model. Oh the horror of a 4 cyl in a mid size luxury car.  :rofl2:

He lifted the hood.   :run:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2019, 10:10:35 pm »

I was really surprised at how smooth and quiet is was. Plenty of power for a highway cruiser but when I goosed it going up an on ramp it was just decent....... nothing to write home about in terms of grunt.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2019, 09:46:45 pm »

I was really surprised at how smooth and quiet is was. Plenty of power for a highway cruiser but when I goosed it going up an on ramp it was just decent....... nothing to write home about in terms of grunt.

4-bangers NVH totally depends on the manufacturer.  A Honda unit is pretty good, but Honda makes great smooth revving 4 cylinders with balance shafts, etc.

The Ford 2.3 that was in my Mum's Disco Sport, not so much. 

All depends on the manufacturer. 

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2019, 09:00:38 am »

4-bangers NVH totally depends on the manufacturer.  A Honda unit is pretty good, but Honda makes great smooth revving 4 cylinders with balance shafts, etc.

Well, BMW have made progress in leaps and bounds compared to the 4 in my daughter's 2012 X1. That engine is sometimes mistaken for a diesel at drive throughs.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2019, 10:02:16 am »

Well, BMW have made progress in leaps and bounds compared to the 4 in my daughter's 2012 X1. That engine is sometimes mistaken for a diesel at drive throughs.

That N20 is a horrid motor, and not just because of the direct-injection clatter you describe. My folks' 2013 328i M-Sport with the exact same engine went through an engine replacement and two turbo replacements, all before 40,000km. It was all covered by warranty but we got to a point where we just couldn't trust the car, and traded it in on a C-Class.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Online 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2019, 09:30:24 pm »

That N20 is a horrid motor, and not just because of the direct-injection clatter you describe. My folks' 2013 328i M-Sport with the exact same engine went through an engine replacement and two turbo replacements, all before 40,000km. It was all covered by warranty but we got to a point where we just couldn't trust the car, and traded it in on a C-Class.

Yikes. Long live the BMW naturally aspirated straight 6.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2020, 05:12:18 pm »
The X5 will have had 4 years in service this November and is right around 63,000 kms now.

I'm getting a muffled clunking on washboard surfaces/broken pavement. It is especially noticeable at low speeds (sub 40kph) and if there is any side to side movement or while turning. Suspension link or sway bar bushing maybe?

I'm also noticing slight hesitations (fleeting but noticeable) under hard acceleration (foot to floor like when merging onto a 4 lane) 

I'll give the dealer in Moncton a call and see about getting it up there for diagnosis.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2020, 05:13:40 pm »
The X5 will have had 4 years in service this November and is right around 63,000 kms now.

I'm getting a muffled clunking on washboard surfaces/broken pavement. It is especially noticeable at low speeds (sub 40kph) and if there is any side to side movement or while turning. Suspension link or sway bar bushing maybe?

I'm also noticing slight hesitations (fleeting but noticeable) under hard acceleration (foot to floor like when merging onto a 4 lane) 

I'll give the dealer in Moncton a call and see about getting it up there for diagnosis.

Yup..sway bar bushing or sway bar link would be my first go to. (Cheap fix)

After that, control arm bushing or ball joint.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2020, 01:45:45 pm »
So, I just got home from BMW Moncton.

They found several suspension issues... ( needs a front strut, two tension links and all control arms (front and back))

The acceleration issue appears to be transfer case slipping. They spoke to BMW and were told to first change the fluid and to drive 250 kms. If the issue remains it is a new transfer case.... :-\
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 01:51:40 pm by sailor723 »

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2020, 01:58:28 pm »
So, I just got home from BMW Moncton.

They found several suspension issues... ( needs a front strut, two tension links and all control arms (front and back))

The acceleration issue appears to be transfer case slipping. They spoke to BMW and were told to first change the fluid and to drive 250 kms. If the issue remains it is a new transfer case.... :-\

Yikes!  I guess it's a clutch based transfer case? 

Should both front struts be done at the same time?
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2020, 02:05:54 pm »
63,000 km, wow

Well at least it's all happening at once, that's more convenient

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2020, 02:07:20 pm »
Ouch. That's a few too many things to go wrong on a basically new car.  :-\  Thanks for sharing!
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.